Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland: Boycott Sochi? [over Russia's severe crackdown on gays, which may include arresting athletes and spectators]

Bliz

I thought this was a really good article. 

But first, in an effort to avoid the inevitable threadjack over whether there is really any risk of athletes being arrested of if this is just "liberal media hype," it looks like there is legitimate confusion on that point right now.  The IOC claims the Russian government has assured them the law will not affect athletes or spectators.  Russia's sports minister has said athletes who "propagandize" in the streets [who even knows what that means.  Hold hands with their partner?] will be subject to the law, which includes potential imprisonment.  I don't think there are any assurances until the Games start.  http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/08/01/russian-sports-minister-says-country-will-enforce-anti-gay-law-during-sochi/

Anyway...

Harvey Fierstein pointed out that lawmakers have threatened Olympic
competitors as well as fans "suspected of being gay" with arrest.1
He then compared Putin's Russia to Nazi Germany, writing, "The Olympic
Committee must demand the retraction of these laws under threat of
boycott. In 1936 the world attended the Olympics in Germany. Few
participants said a word about Hitler's campaign against the Jews.
Supporters of that decision point proudly to the triumph of Jesse Owens,
while I point with dread to the Holocaust and world war. There is a
price for tolerating intolerance."

Fierstein's call to boycott has some support inside Russia.
Twenty-three Russian LGBT activists put out a statement this week,
writing, "International support is essential for the survival of
Russia's LGBT community right now ... Vladimir Putin's regime will not
get away with antigay violence. We speak out in favor of boycotting
Russian goods and companies and the Olympic Games in Sochi."

There are other LGBT forces that believe calling for a boycott of the
Winter Games would be a tactical mistake. Leading Russian LGBT
activist Nikolai Alekseyev has
instead announced the organizing of a Sochi Pride March to coincide
with the opening of the Winter Games on February 7. Alekseyev has a
particular credibility to call for a demonstration. His effort to open a
Sochi Pride House during the Games — a resource center and safe space
for LGBT athletes — was struck down by the Russian Justice Ministry.2 Alekseyev
wrote, "[A pride march] will be much more effective [than a boycott] to
draw attention to official homophobia in Russia all around the world
and expose the hypocrisy of the International Olympic Committee ... Vive
Sochi Pride 2014!"

Whether or not there is a boycott,
connecting Putin's systematic attacks on LGBT people to the Sochi
Olympics is a stroke of political genius. This isn't only because it
focuses international attention on an issue largely undiscussed in the
mainstream press. Sochi could very well be the all-powerful Putin's
Achilles' heel. These Winter Games, to be held for reasons that still
make no sense in Sochi's subtropical climate, are going to be more
expensive than any other Games — summer or winter — in history.
Due primarily to shady no-bid construction contracts for Putin's
business allies, $30 billion in public funds have simply disappeared.
This isn't an Olympics. It's more like a heist. The almighty Putin is
looking more with each passing day like this guy:
attacking the LGBT community in a cheap effort to turn attention away
from rampant corruption and growing inequality, symbolized sharply by
what's happening in Sochi.

But is a boycott the best way to stop the attacks? The call for the
United States and other countries to withdraw will garner immediate
sympathy from anyone repulsed by photos like these.
Whether it would actually be effective is a far thornier question. In
1935, the United States Amateur Athletic Union did come within a whisper
of boycotting the 1936 Olympics held in Nazi Berlin. Despite Jesse
Owens's brilliance and four gold medals, it's hard to argue that it
wouldn't have been one hell of a stronger statement if the United States
hadn't legitimized Hitler's regime with its presence.3

On the other hand, the decision by President Jimmy Carter and the
United States to boycott the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics in protest of
the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan is now universally reviled as Cold
War posturing that accomplished nothing other than the denial of
athletes the opportunity to compete and realize their dreams.

Johnny Weir, the openly gay USA figure skater who is married to a
Russian man, is staunchly opposed to a boycott for the very reason that
it would punish the athletes more than Russia, writing,
"The fact that Russia is arresting my people, and openly hating a
minority and violating Human Rights all over the place is heartbreaking
and a travesty of international proportions, but I still will compete.
There isn't a police officer or a government that, should I qualify,
could keep me from competing at the Olympics."

It's a strong statement. Unfortunately, it doesn't encourage anyone
to do anything or point a way forward for how LGBT athletes, fans, and
allies can actually use the Olympics as a platform to fight back.

For the brave athlete-activists who want to pressure Putin, the
best-case scenario was laid out by sex columnist Dan Savage, who wrote, "If there isn't a boycott — if gay and pro-gay athletes compete at the Olympics in Sochi this winter — there must
be a protest during the Sochi Olympics that is as powerful and
indelible as Tommie Smith and John Carlos's protest during the Mexico
City Olympics. It should happen on the medal stand while the world
watches."

It's a great point. Few remember today that there was an organized
call to boycott the 1968 Games by African American athletes and their
supporters. When the boycott fell apart, Lew Alcindor (Kareem!)
boycotted the Games anyway. Tommie Smith and John Carlos took their
protest to the medal stand. Whose political statement do we remember
today?

more at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9522926/gay-rights-sochi-boycott-movement

Personally I'm opposed to a boycott.  Athletes work their asses off their whole life trying to get there, and many only get one opportunity.  And the article makes a a very good point about the effectiveness of a well-done public protest, with the world watching.  I'm sure we won't be the only country doing
that sort of thing.

play_a_06_mexico_olympic_576.jpg

1)  Somehow, I suspect that it's real unlikely that Russia will jeopardize something that's bringing in millions (billions?) in foreign currency. 

2)  That said, though, I do have to observe the risks of someone going to a country with the intent of doing something that's illegal in that country, and just assume that well, they'll let me break their laws, cause I got a passport. 

What's interesting is that hockey will be the biggest draw at Sochi.  The NHL has the whole "You Can Play" campaign going on which is about sexual/racial tolerance.  Could you imagine if a marquee player from the league actually spoke up about boycotting?  Man, I wish Brian Burke was in charge of the USMNT.....

1)  Somehow, I suspect that it's real unlikely that Russia will jeopardize something that's bringing in millions (billions?) in foreign currency. 

2)  That said, though, I do have to observe the risks of someone going to a country with the intent of doing something that's illegal in that country, and just assume that well, they'll let me break their laws, cause I got a passport. 

re 1) By the time the games start the billions (or tens of billions) will already be there.  If tourists can be arrested for having a conversation about homosexuality any other time of year, is it so unlikely that some street cop would find it appropriate to arrest a tourist who happens to be there for the olympics?  I'm not so sure...  There have definitely been contradictory statements coming out.  There is zero doubt that SOME people in the Russian parliament would want the law to be applied to athletes and spectators.  The question is where Putin stands, and who wins out.  Still TBD.

re 2)  Certainly so.  And I expect those people would tell you that they're willing to sit in a Russian jail for two weeks if it means standing up for what they believe in instead of remaining silent.

just read an article about this. I knew they banned adoptions to countries w legalized gay marriage, but didn't realize the archaic laws passed on homosexuals in general. 

If I was a gay athlete going, I would have honest reservations/fear about this. 

I really doubt a boycott will happen. Too much money involved.

I will be rooting extra hard for Johnny Weir. Would love to see him get a medal and get a platform to fight back against the bigotry. As long as he (and everyone there) stays safe...

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/its-time-move-Olympics

It’s Time to Move the Olympics

Why Russia Should Not Be Permitted To Host the 2014 Winter Olympics In Sochi, and Why They Should Instead Be Moved To Another Host City

by George Takei

It’s been bubbling for some time, but the controversy over Russia’s draconian “gay propaganda” law has now boiled over.Last week, Russia’s Sports Minister confirmed that the country intends to enforce its laws against visiting LGBT athletes, trainers and fans, meaning anyone even so much as waving a rainbow flag (and I presume many men enthusiastically watching and dramatically commenting on figure skating) would be arrested, held for weeks and then deported.Given this position, the IOC must do the right thing, protect its athletes and the fans, and move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia.

The International Olympic Committee’s fundamental principles include an unequivocal statement: “The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.” In specific response to the Russian law, the IOC, in a recent interview, doubled down: “[We] would like to reiterate our long commitment to not discriminate against those taking part in the Olympic Games. The IOC is an open organization and athletes of all orientations will be welcome at the Games.” It appears Russia isn’t listening, and indeed now has raised the stakes by threatening arrests.

If an athlete chooses to go they should keep it to their sport and not engage in politics.

Or will the athletes be OK if a politician lobbies successfully to have the team withdraw, like at the Moscow Olympics over Afghanistan? And the retaliation of Eastern Block countries at LA four years later?

If an athlete chooses to go they should keep it to their sport and not engage in politics.

Kind of difficult to do when the politics are barging into the room and threatening to arrest people, isn't it?

BloodHound Gang just learned the hard way what can happen in Russia if you have a different opinion than theirs. The lead singer wiped his ass with the russian flag and russian nationaIs whooped them in the airport. I agree with Hubbs, even if its wrong and intolerate, I'd keep my mouth shut and focus on competing. They are athletes, not politicians they are there to compete. I'm sure we have all read horror stories about being thrown in another country's prison. Voicing your opinion in America is one thing, doing it in Russia is another no matter how right you are.

BloodHound Gang just learned the hard way what can happen in Russia if you have a different opinion than theirs. The lead singer wiped his ass with the russian flag and russian nationaIs whooped them in the airport. I agree with Hubbs, even if its wrong and intolerate, I'd keep my mouth shut and focus on competing. They are athletes, not politicians they are there to compete. I'm sure we have all read horror stories about being thrown in another country's prison. Voicing your opinion in America is one thing, doing it in Russia is another no matter how right you are.

I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more. First off, BHG is a fool for doing that and I'm not surprised he got whooped. It would probably happen in America too so it's not a good example.

Second, progress happens when people aren't afraid to stand up for themselves. If the Olympics are not not moved (I think they should be if Russia really intends to arrest athletes), let Russia attempt to arrest athletes from all over the world and see how quickly they get isolated and assure themselves of never hosting the Olympics for another century at least.

Athletes should not have to pretend to be someone they are not just because they are athletes.

Kind of difficult to do when the politics are barging into the room and threatening to arrest people, isn't it?

That's actually the opposite of what I was saying...

• 2 weeks later...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pole-vault-great-condemns-homosexuality-worlds

Pole vault great condemns homosexuality at worlds

Pole vault great Yelena Isinbayeva condemned homosexuality Thursday after criticizing competitors who painted their fingernails in rainbow colors to support gays and lesbians in the face of a new anti-gay law in Russia.

The Russian, who won her third world title Tuesday in front of a boisterous home crowd, came out in favor of the law which has drawn sharp criticism and led Western activists to call for a boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in the Russian resort of Sochi.

"If we allow to promote and do all this stuff on the street, we are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves like normal, standard people," Isinbayeva, a two-time Olympic champion, said in English. "We just live with boys with woman, woman with boys.

"Everything must be fine. It comes from history. We never had any problems, these problems in Russia, and we don't want to have any in the future."

I wonder if she's also a teacher....

There are athletes that are still angry about the United States boycotting the Moscow Games in 1980. I really don't think a boycott will do anyone any good. Maybe some kind of symbol of solidarity (like a rainbow lapel pin) to bring attention to it. I think that would be much more effective. 

Boycotting didn't get the Soviets out of Afghanistan and a boycott won't make Russia change course on its anti-gay laws. 

Since this one was bumped out of a "quiet spell" and has America, gay, and athletes being discussed (don't wanna start a new thread just for the article)...here's a related view from a celebrity who is very popular on ES  :P

Robert Griffin III thinks the time is now for gay players to come out.

The Redskins star quarterback told GQ magazine that he feels the "window is now" for gay players.

"I think there are [gay players] right now, and if they're looking for a window to just come out, I mean, now is the window," said Griffin, who is recovering from offseason knee surgery. "My view on it is, yes, I am a Christian, but to each his own. You do what you want to do. If some Christians want to look at being gay as a sin, then thinking about other women, committing adultery—or any of those other sins that are in the Bible—those are sins, too. And God looks at all of us the same way."

The entire Sochi Olympics is just an opportunity for Putin to shovel graft to his supporters.  

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21581764-most-expensive-olympic-games-history-offer-rich-pickings-select-few-castles

This is going to be a bad time for international competition, it seems. Sochi and the Brazilian World Cup next year, the Rio games in 2016, Qatar World Cup in 2022.

FIFA and the IOC screwed up royally.  

But yet, the Olympics in Beijing.

Yah, makes sense.

I wonder what we will all be passionate about in 10 years that none of us give a **** about today? I for one can't wait for the next big issue.

And the aforenamed Rio games coming up in '16 as Brazil's working class are taking to the streets. Unless a miracle happens, I can't see that ending well.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/obama-to-meet-with-russian-activists-on-g20-sidelines

Obama To Meet With LGBT Activists While In Russia

Following his cancellation of a bilateral meeting with President Vladimir Putin, U.S. President Barack Obama may infuriate the Kremlin further by meeting Russian human rights activists, including LGBT rights groups, during his upcoming trip to St Petersburg for the G20 summit.

Four Russian non-governmental organizations told BuzzFeed Monday they had been invited to the meeting, scheduled for this Thursday at St. Petersburg’s Crowne Plaza Hotel. The groups include veteran human rights activists Lev Ponomarev and Lyudmila Alexeyeva, legal aid NGO director Pavel Chikov, and Coming Out, a St. Petersburg-based LGBT organization. Another local LGBT group, the LGBT Network, is believed to be attending, though director Igor Kochetkov declined to comment to BuzzFeed, saying that he had been “asked not to say anything.”

But yet, the Olympics in Beijing.

Yah, makes sense.

I wonder what we will all be passionate about in 10 years that none of us give a **** about today? I for one can't wait for the next big issue.

Like totally. That whole civil rights thing was like so summer of '56. I mean really. They got to ride on the bus and then who really cared after that? And whatever even happened to that Martin King feller anyway?

Archived