Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Kirk Cousins basically broke the franchise tag system in the NFL because he recognized the value and power that QBs had and he used it to take advantage dumb management. This while being in a sport where serious injury is much more likely to happen. 

Players in the NBA are already a lot more powerful than the NFL and ownership is every bit as much if not dumber, collectively. I don't think a franchise tag would work or really help the NBA. Let star (not superstar) players start making top 5 player averages and they will sit on it for 3 years and be fine to do it. And then the team will just watch them leave in free agency anyway. 

But I guess you got a few more years out of them? So, win? I don't think so. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

14 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Kirk Cousins basically broke the franchise tag system in the NFL because he recognized the value and power that QBs had and he used it to take advantage dumb management. This while being in a sport where serious injury is much more likely to happen. 

Players in the NBA are already a lot more powerful than the NFL and ownership is every bit as much if not dumber, collectively. I don't think a franchise tag would work or really help the NBA. Let star (not superstar) players start making top 5 player averages and they will sit on it for 3 years and be fine to do it. And then the team will just watch them leave in free agency anyway. 

But I guess you got a few more years out of them? So, win? I don't think so. 

But look what LeBron is doing to Cleveland... Dude's been signing a contract every season since he came back.

I think the NBA needs a hard cap and a franchise tag, but the players will never go for that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

But look what LeBron is doing to Cleveland... Dude's been signing a contract every season since he came back.

I think the NBA needs a hard cap and a franchise tag, but the players will never go for that.

That's what I mean. The best player in the world is okay playing on multiple short term deals to give himself flexibility. A tag wouldn't impact these guys or change much at all. Especially when it's used basically as a ball and chain and would be seen as such.

The only reason players hate the tag in the NFL is because it doesn't provide long-term security and there is such a high risk of injury for them. That doesn't really exist in the NBA

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

A star of Lebron's level will have a no-franchise tag clause in any contract they sign after age 22.

Also, I love the idea that Lebron is "doing something to" Cleveland. He's made Dan Gilbert several billion dollars, won them a title, and put them in the Finals every year.

Sign me up for that torture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

A star of Lebron's level will have a no-franchise tag clause in any contract they sign after age 22.

Also, I love the idea that Lebron is "doing something to" Cleveland. He's made Dan Gilbert several billion dollars, won them a title, and put them in the Finals every year.

Sign me up for that torture.

Well he is doing something... They can't really build a team without him and they don't know if he's signing, or not. There will be life after LeBron...Not saying LeBron is wrong for doing it, or even that Cleveland is dumb for letting it happen, but without LeBron, they're fading away quickly... Luckily this time they have a nice squad and the 8th pick. So if he does leave, they're better prepared than they were in 2010.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He is a cancer. There’s a report the Hornets players and coaches got tired of him. 

What's it like, 5 teams now that have kicked him out the door basically? That speaks louder than whatever victim stuff he tries to put out there through the media

Why would Atlanta and Dallas swap draft picks? What I mean Atlanta drafted Doncic and traded him to Dallas. Dallas drafted Young and traded him to Atlanta. Why didn't they just draft each player themselves? 

Maybe I'm just not understanding the specifics of the trades.

I like Doncic with the Mavs. I like Carlisle as a coach, Dirk as not only a vet, but an European vet. 

I'm just so glad he didn't go to us Knicks.

I don't know how I feel about Trae Young in the A man. That city has a lot going on and he was already bumping elbows with celebrities... 

1 minute ago, abdcskins said:

Why would Atlanta and Dallas swap draft picks? What I mean Atlanta drafted Doncic and traded him to Dallas. Dallas drafted Young and traded him to Atlanta. Why didn't they just draft each player themselves? 

Maybe I'm just not understanding the specifics of the trades.

My thought exactly.  

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Doncic was a consensus top two prospect in the class.  The Kings were dumb and passed him over.  Atlanta probably wanted Trae Young and was looking to trade down.  The Mavs picked five and pounced on the opportunity to get the guy who was probably the second best prospect in the class.  Maybe even the best.  Atlanta gets their man plus a future first round pick.  Both sides come away happy.

I like the Mo Bamba pick for Orlando.  This could come back to haunt me, but I predict that he'll have a better career than Michael Porter.  He's not in Porter's league as an offensive talent.  But his physical tools are out of this world.  Seven foot ****ing ten inch wingspan.  That is crazy.  Capable of running 3/4 court sprints faster than young Westbrook and Wall.  Such an impressive blend of fluidity and power.  And I liked listening to his interviews, this is a cerebral kid.

He's Rudy Gobert.  Between him and Gordon, the Magic can set the defensive standard for the league.  I think they're finally going to start getting good.

To me Atlanta just fleeced Dallas but I see what you are saying Steve. If I were Dallas I wouldn't give up a future first rounder just to move up two spots.

I haven't seen much on Doncic, but to me Euro players are always a gamble. International game is much different than the American game.

Just now, abdcskins said:

To me Atlanta just fleeced Dallas but I see what you are saying Steve. If I were Dallas I wouldn't give up a future first rounder just to move up two spots.

For the right player, that's a pittance.  And I think Doncic just might be that player.  There has never been a player coming out of Europe like him before.  He's a phenom who was getting comparisons to Larry Bird from draft nerds.

This year's draft really had two can't miss transcendent prospects, Ayton and Doncic.  A lot of years don't have any.  This was the time to have a top two pick.  So of course Sacramento screwed up and passed on one of those guys.

Marvin Bagley is really good though, and he should be an All Star even if he's not a potential generational guy like Doncic.  He is shockingly agile for a big man.  And averaging 21 and 11 as a Freshman for a program like Duke is no joke.

This was a year where everyone in the top six might well end up being an All Star.