Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

No because you are going to end up with just Kevin Love after the season.

All four members of the banana boat crew hit FA in 2018.  How did I not realize this before now?  Anyway, I think it's obvious now that they are going to join up on whatever team makes the moves to afford all four of them.

But my scenario is impossible though.  I forgot Harden signed a DPVE so he can't be traded until July 2018.

But let's say that both Harden and LeBron did waive their no trade clauses (not sure if Harden can, but bear with me), wouldn't Houston be the best destination to build a team around the banana boat crew?  In a hypothetical trade where they get LeBron and Love, that'd add like 25 million in cap space to the 20 something million they already had.  They could use that 50 million to bring in Melo and Wade in FA, among many other things as I don't think Wade will be expensive.  Then they could go over the cap to keep Paul, LeBron, Ariza, and Capela.

Guards: Paul, Wade, Gordon, X decent free agent

Forwards: LeBron, Melo, Ariza, Tucker

Bigs: Love, Capela, Nene, X decent free agent

That's a really damn strong roster.  Led by two MVP front runners in LeBron and Paul, supported by two All Star role players in Melo and Love, and three more role players of a quality that most teams would kill to have in Ariza, Wade, and Gordon.  Plus that back end of the rotation in Tucker and Nene and Capela plus whatever decent back up PG and swing forward or big they could get with their FA money is strong enough to play high in most rotations.  They'd be 12 men deep and balanced.  

That's strong enough to beat the Warriors in a series and win a ring or two before their window closed.

That'd be the strongest team that LeBron has ever played on.  By far.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That is the last big salary Melo will ever earn. He is not going to opt-out. Just like Wade didn't opt-out in Chicago even though he hates it there and his teammates hate him back.

He could easily sign for 20 million or more in a place like Houston and end up with take home pay that's almost as good or even better than what he's had in New York because of the tax burden he's been paying there.

Houston would have almost 50 million in pure cap room in the scenario where they trade for LeBron and Love and ship off Harden/Anderson and they'd have Early Bird Rights on Paul, LeBron, Ariza, and Capela.  Figure Wade takes a paycut to around 10 million a year.  They'd easily be able to afford Melo at 20 million+ plus a couple of other high quality free agents.

But even if he didn't go to Houston, Melo can command 20+ million this sumer in a market that saw Otto Porter and Gordon Hayward making more than that, and Tim Hardaway coming close--even when teams were squeezed by low cap growth.

What would have been the point for Wade to opt out this summer?  If his primary goal is to join up with Melo, LeBron, and CP3 (I think it definitely is), then nobody else was a free agent until next summer.  He'd have had to sign a one year deal somewhere at a massively reduced rate and wait it out anyway to see where everyone else was signing next summer.  No matter what he did this summer, he was going to be in a one season holding pattern.  Might as well stay where he already was and make bank before moving on.

Melo will not be in the same situation next summer.  LeBron and/or CP3 will determine everyone's destination and Melo will know where he needs to go.  I doubt he waits another year to join them just to make a few million more when he can control his fate next summer and contend for a ring while he's still pretty good.

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That would be incredible.  But is Boston at the point where they have to say yes?

Would be a really good move by Cleveland and Boston definitely has to say yes. At this point, what is one more first round pick considering what Boston has said about Irving and that IT knows they don't want him anymore.  

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

we have no idea if he could or couldnt.

Its also not the 28 million he will get from the Knicks.

Yeah but he has to pay 13% in state and city taxes for the Knicks so that 28 in New York is about the same as 24 in Texas.  Also there are other financial reason for him to opt out of a one year deal.  A multi-year commitment at this stage in his career, signed while he's still good enough to command some money, could pay out more than if he were to wait another season to make it.

And he could also resuscitate his market value by playing on a mini Team USA with CP3 and LeBron.

I don't know that he has to opt out to join with LeBron and CP3 either, because I'm looking at the Lakers and seeing almost total flexibility there.  Luol Deng is the only "bad" contract they have.  They could deal Jordan Clarkson for Melo, and I bet New York says yes.  Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball are other positive assets they could trade to bring in LeBron or CP3 or bring in support players for them like Paul George.

Banana Boat crew plus one other significant player are going to end up forming in either LA, Houston, Chicago, or Dallas.

Cleveland doesn't care.  The East is so weak that they will be a top 4 seed without trying.  If they are close to healthy by the playoffs, Lebron goes super-saiyan and they waltz to the finals.  They don't need home court.

Edited by Predicto