Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

At the same time though, I think the NBA fining teams for resting players is stupid.  It's the coaches decision on what is best for the team both short and long term.  If he wants to give a star player the night off, then he should be able to do so without any consequences.  Sure, it would suck to get tickets to see a superstar play and them get the night off, but hey, one knows the risk before buying tickets.  

When you pay to see a regular season game, you're not paying to see backups. Especially when they price these tix according to the team that's playing. Plus, the NBA is, by far, the most star driven league of all sports.

Seriously, it's almost like going to see a band and the lead singer doesn't show up. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Maybe I'm late, but when did you start posting again Predicto? lol

Yesterday.   But Imma try and keep it under control better.  

Maybe less frequency will mean better quality.....    nah  

25 minutes ago, DM72 said:

When you pay to see a regular season game, you're not paying to see backups. Especially when they price these tix according to the team that's playing. Plus, the NBA is, by far, the most star driven league of all sports.

Seriously, it's almost like going to see a band and the lead singer doesn't show up. 

Ever been to a Broadway show?

"Tonight, the lead performance of Hamlet will not be played by Sir Laurence Olivier, but rather by his understudy, Pauly Shore.   Deal with it."

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, DM72 said:

And because that is becoming the norm, one knows the risk before buying tickets.  I get that it would suck shelling out your money to see say LeBron or KD play and them get the night off.  

But at the same time, I don't think the league should be able to fine coaches or the team for resting players because they want them fresh for the playoffs.  I don't think we will ever know if it makes that big of a difference or not, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to give their bodies rest.  Found this article about it (little old, from March) where it broke down which players took the most time off and which coaches rested the most players and some other stats.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nba-teams-are-resting-players-earlier-and-earlier/

I don't have a problem with it later in the season, but its starting to happen a lot earlier now.   

47 minutes ago, Predicto said:

"Tonight, the lead performance of Hamlet will not be played by Sir Laurence Olivier, but rather by his understudy, Pauly Shore.   Deal with it."

Awesome to see you alive and well, welcome back, bro : )

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Predicto said:

OK. Tonight, Mick Jagger won't be the lead singer, but Justin Beiber will be. Deal with it.

I wonder how that will go.

1 hour ago, Predicto said:

Nothing of that sort is on an NBA ticket though.  A Broadway show is at least upfront about it.  

Edited by justice98

37 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And because that is becoming the norm, one knows the risk before buying tickets.  I get that it would suck shelling out your money to see say LeBron or KD play and them get the night off.  

But at the same time, I don't think the league should be able to fine coaches or the team for resting players because they want them fresh for the playoffs.  I don't think we will ever know if it makes that big of a difference or not, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to give their bodies rest.  Found this article about it (little old, from March) where it broke down which players took the most time off and which coaches rested the most players and some other stats.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nba-teams-are-resting-players-earlier-and-earlier/

I don't have a problem with it later in the season, but its starting to happen a lot earlier now.   

I think the league should simply say that if you're gonna rest a player just to keep them fresh, dont wait until the day of the game to say so.  A couple days of planning isnt too much to ask.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think the league should simply say that if you're gonna rest a player just to keep them fresh, dont wait until the day of the game to say so.  A couple days of planning isnt too much to ask.

Like I said, I see both sides of the argument and don't necessarily side strongly with either one.  I've just accepted it as today's NBA.  I do agree that if it's possible to give more warning, like 2-3 days, they should do it.  

Just looking at LeBron's game log (he sat 8 games this year), he sat out on the second game of back to back games 5 times, the first game of B2B once, one random day with no games the day before or after, then the final game of the season.  

Seems random to me when they decide to sit them and I doubt they can just look ahead even a few days and say hey we are going to rest you in three days.  I'm sure a lot depends on entire team health, who they are playing, where they are in league rank and playoff seeding and the individual players health.  Which is why we see it being a game day decision usually if not the day before.

I recall there being a game this season, marquee matchup between the Spurs and Warriors, one game separated them in the standings in mid March.  Both teams punted on the game.  Steph, Klay, Durant, Draymond, Iguadola, Kawhi, and Aldridge didnt play. I believe all were healthy enough to play.  You cant have that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I recall there being a game this season, marquee matchup between the Spurs and Warriors, one game separated them in the standings in mid March.  Both teams punted on the game.  Steph, Klay, Durant, Draymond, Iguadola, Kawhi, and Aldridge didnt play. I believe all were healthy enough to play.  You cant have that.

That's what many of us are saying. Most fans would accept players at the end of the season resting, if everything is clinched. But I believe some teams rest players before Christmas. That's ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

they'd cancel the show and you may not get your money back and would tell you to deal with it.

If they canceled, they would have to give you your money back. Theoretically, as long as that ticket doesn't say "Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones", they could probably legally have the show without Jagger. They'll probably be a riot, but the show could go on.

Edited by DM72

The benching of star players is a tricky subject. I understand the fan point of view, but when you purchase an NBA ticket you're not guaranteed anything except the game.

Also, how exactly would you police it? A coach can just say "hey Kevin Durant has a sore knee, I need to sit him tonight." Who is the commish or anyone else to question that? Again, a coach's job is to do what he feels is in the best interest of his team. You start to take that away from him and you're opening a pandora's box.

It sucks but it is what it is.

I'll laugh at the medias sad faces when Lebron passes on LA to play in Minnesota or some other small market.  They so desperately want NBA stars to love the lakers as much as they do.  If he goes big market it will be Houston with his banana boat crew. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'll laugh at the medias sad faces when Lebron passes on LA to play in Minnesota or some other small market.  They so desperately want NBA stars to love the lakers as much as they do.  If he goes big market it will be Houston with his banana boat crew. 

Yeah I'm not 100% convinced he's going to LA either. His first FA stint everyone said he was going to NY for sure and instead it was Miami(not a small market but certainly not NY).

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Just fantasy GM'ing, a big 4 of Lebron, CP3, Harden, and Melo to go at GS.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The benching of star players is a tricky subject. I understand the fan point of view, but when you purchase an NBA ticket you're not guaranteed anything except the game.

Also, how exactly would you police it? A coach can just say "hey Kevin Durant has a sore knee, I need to sit him tonight." Who is the commish or anyone else to question that? Again, a coach's job is to do what he feels is in the best interest of his team. You start to take that away from him and you're opening a pandora's box.

It sucks but it is what it is.

One of the biggest problems is, not that they might bench one player, but they're benching the entire 1st string.

People can rationalize it all they want to, but that shouldn't be allowed.

• Like 1