Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

An underrated statement about the new NBA schedule released last night is that they will eliminate a lot of the back to backs. Tony Kornheiser has repeatedly put Adam Silver on blast as a non "living, breathing commissioner" who just sits by and watches the league without taking any action on stances (save for Donald Sterling, but that was common sense). 

Other than the parity issue, the biggest issue with the NBA was regular season basketball. Teams were jammed with back to backs, so they would just take days off and rest whole swaths of players. The Spurs were notorious for this. To me, this just seems stupid. As a paying fan, you paid to watch the best players in the world play on the stage. You did not pay to see bench players play basketball just because Coach Pop didn't want to play all his starters and "rest" them. Adam Silver was routinely lambasted in the media for not taking any action towards this, and yesterday's schedule changes starting the season earlier really help. Hopefully teams will have less incentive to rest starters and we can see what we all wanted to see; the best players on the best stage in the game. 

• Like 1

I've never gotten this "rest" thing.  You are paid to play 82 games.  Hockey players play just as many games (even more grueling and tough) and they never "rest" players.  That's what the offseason is for.

Back to back nights are not and should not be a problem.  There are only so many dates to schedule games in arenas where there is a hockey team playing there, other events (concerts, wrestling, etc.) and in some cases, a third team (L.A.). I did have a problem with 4 in 5 nights.  That was too much. I agree that that should have been changed.

Rest?  Ha-ha.  These guys are supposedly world class athletes.  Get your 25 year old ass out there and play if you are 100%. Unless you are 38+ years old and have given your all to the game (i.e. Tim Duncan), get your ass out there and play.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I've never gotten this "rest" thing.  You are paid to play 82 games.  Hockey players play just as many games (even more grueling and tough) and they never "rest" players.  That's what the offseason is for.

Back to back nights are not and should not be a problem.  There are only so many dates to schedule games in arenas where there is a hockey team playing there, other events (concerts, wrestling, etc.) and in some cases, a third team (L.A.). I did have a problem with 4 in 5 nights.  That was too much. I agree that that should have been changed.

Rest?  Ha-ha.  These guys are supposedly world class athletes.  Get your 25 year old ass out there and play if you are 100%. Unless you are 38+ years old and have given your all to the game (i.e. Tim Duncan), get your ass out there and play.

hockey players don't play as many minutes as NBA players do.

The rest thing is a real thing, and they should be allowed to rest or take EPOs to help their bodies. The NBA is starting to do away with cramming in games in short intervals, which will help a lot.

I don't skate so I really don't know, but do skating take as much energy as running and jumping?

But I wonder why rest is so important now? I don't remember the players back in complaining about rest.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

hockey players don't play as many minutes as NBA players do.

The rest thing is a real thing, and they should be allowed to rest or take EPOs to help their bodies. The NBA is starting to do away with cramming in games in short intervals, which will help a lot.

True, per player/individual, but hockey is a lot more demanding on the body then basketball. Not saying basketball isn't physical, but hockey is like football on skates, with no stop in play.  But the top guys play 25+ minutes on the ice.  Like I said, I'm glad they did away with the 4 in 5.  Back to back spread out is not that bad. 

Cal Ripken is laughing at every NBA player who needs a rest. :) 

18 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I don't skate so I really don't know, but do skating take as much energy as running and jumping?

But I wonder why rest is so important now? I don't remember the players back in complaining about rest.

Playing hockey requires short bursts of energy.  The pressure they exert on their lower bodies is akin to running and jumping. 

I agree, not sure why rest is so important now.  My guess is that benches have shortened over the years and teams play their superstars more during a game then they probably should.  The creation of the super-teams requires a less expensive and shorter bench to pay all those stars. Maybe instead of going "balls to the wall" to achieve 70 wins, sacrifice some minutes during games knowing you might lose a few more and end up with 60 wins instead. 

3 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

True, per player/individual, but hockey is a lot more demanding on the body then basketball. Not saying basketball isn't physical, but hockey is like football on skates, with no stop in play.  But the top guys play 25+ minutes on the ice.  Like I said, I'm glad they did away with the 4 in 5.  Back to back spread out is not that bad. 

Cal Ripken is laughing at every NBA player who needs a rest. :) 

False.  90% of skating is gliding.  Far, far easier on the knees and ankles than jumping/landing 200 times a game.

Teams should be penalized for resting. Yea, you're not gonna be peak performance toward the end of the season, nobody will be. The scales balance out and you should be rewarded for being 'more fit'. Those who play better tired are better players. It's a job, a job's work and work is hard. 

But, lets let everybody get what they want. Only compete under optimal circumstances, form super teams to create a parity at disproportionate levels and screw the fans. Yea, the fans, the ones that actually make the wheels spin. 

Rest... what a concept.

Edited by Bonez3

25 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Sports Science happened and we have learned more about the body and how to have athletes peak physically come the postseason.

8 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I highly doubt hockey is more demanding. Running and jumping on hard surfaces very demanding.

And hockey is not like football on skates. Not at all.

On top of that, NBA players are tall so flying is difficult.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

False.  90% of skating is gliding.  Far, far easier on the knees and ankles than jumping/landing 200 times a game.

Yeah, if you are in an ice skating competition.  So, False. 

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Sports Science happened and we have learned more about the body and how to have athletes peak physically come the postseason.

I highly doubt hockey is more demanding. Running and jumping on hard surfaces very demanding.

And hockey is not like football on skates. Not at all.

On top of that, NBA players are tall so flying is difficult.

I'm almost 50 and I can still run and jump.  I however cannot stop on a dime in skates from a full sprint with 240lb Alex Ovechkin about to truck me.  The hitting is just as hard as football.  Every see someone rocked up against the boards in the corner?  They are probably skating faster then someone running towards a ball carrier.

But hey, you guys are basketball guys and I get that.  So at this point, if you've never played hockey, you won't know and I'll never convince you. 

Nobody said hockey is easy, it's not.  However, it is not more physically demanding that sports that require running and jumping.  In fact, take out the rough stuff (cross-checking, boarding, fighting, etc) and hockey would probably slot in right under field hockey in terms of wear and tear.

12 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Yeah, if you are in an ice skating competition.  So, False. 

I'm almost 50 and I can still run and jump.  I however cannot stop on a dime in skates from a full sprint with 240lb Alex Ovechkin about to truck me.  The hitting is just as hard as football.  Every see someone rocked up against the boards in the corner?  They are probably skating faster then someone running towards a ball carrier.

But hey, you guys are basketball guys and I get that.  So at this point, if you've never played hockey, you won't know and I'll never convince you. 

Congrats

Now imagine doing that a couple hundred times a game while accumulating about 3 miles a game and bumping into chiseled athletes that are about 210-250 lbs and 6'7" to 6'10" who can also move as fast if not faster and are at least as physically strong as you with wingspans that are over 7 feet long.

And do that 82 games crammed into 6 months.

If you can do that as a 50 year old, I would be very impressed.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

Nobody said hockey is easy, it's not.  However, it is not more physically demanding that sports that require running and jumping.  In fact, take out the rough stuff (cross-checking, boarding, fighting, etc) and hockey would probably slot in right under field hockey in terms of wear and tear.

Beach Volleyball produces greater wear-and-tear on the human body than Hockey.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

If you can do that as a 50 year old, I would be very impressed.

Gordie Howe played in all 80 games in 1980 as a 52 year old.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Sure, hockey is so easy. Such a soft sport.  Why do they even bother padding themselves head to toe?  (Sarcasm)

Like I said, play it and get back to me.  I'm done with this conversation because like I said, you guys won't change your mind about the "all mighty NBA" which I compare to the WWE as far as the fix being in.

Peace

Maybe if Cal Ripken took a day off now and then he might have hit higher than .270 year after year.   In fact, as soon as his consecutive games streak was broken, he hit .340 the next year. 

And I laugh at the hockey guy.  The sports are just different.  The reason that teams rest players is not because NBA players are *******.  It is because teams want to win, and they figured out that occasionally resting high usage players leads to more wins later in the season.    

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Its almost as if hockey guys are insecure about their sport.  Every time some Czech dude skates out there with a bloody nose, it's national news.

Give us a break already.

I've always heard that hockey is more strenuous on the body than basketball is and requires more athleticism.  There have been debates/articles over the years where they rank hockey higher than basketball and football as far as the athleticism required.  I've never played hockey though, nor have I ice skated, so I can't base it on any personal experience other than what I've read and been told by people who have.  

I've seen lists where basketball is ranked harder than hockey and lists where hockey is #2 followed by football then basketball.  But one thing is for sure, almost every list has boxing or MMA listed as the hardest, most physically demanding.  

Anyhow, back to the topic of rest.  It's nice to see them do something about all the back to backs to help avoid "rest" in the middle to end of the season.  I never recall players getting approved games off just to rest until Pop started doing it.  Players got rest when their team was blowing out another team in the 4th or when nursing an injury.  

At the same time though, I think the NBA fining teams for resting players is stupid.  It's the coaches decision on what is best for the team both short and long term.  If he wants to give a star player the night off, then he should be able to do so without any consequences.  Sure, it would suck to get tickets to see a superstar play and them get the night off, but hey, one knows the risk before buying tickets.  

I personally don't think this schedule adjustment is going to prevent coaches from resting players, sure it might cut down on it based on the number of back to backs and 3/4 games in 5 nights they eliminate.  It's just what the NBA has evolved into, which I have accepted.  I get both sides of the argument.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I agree, not sure why rest is so important now.  My guess is that benches have shortened over the years and teams play their superstars more during a game then they probably should. 

Actually, I think the biggest reason is because playing defense is much more demanding these days.  It used to be that you stood around a lot on defense, while one big guy posted up and his man got bumped into a lot, while everyone else just positioned for the rebound.   Maybe you double teamed.   Now everyone in defense is constantly hustling, switching, cutting off passing angles, running into picks, charging out to run 3 point shooters off the line, etc.  If a defender just stands around waiting for rebounds, the coaches sit them down (unless they are Russell Westbrook lol) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Actually, I think the biggest reason is because playing defense is much more demanding these days.  It used to be that you stood around a lot on defense, while one big guy posted up and his man got bumped into a lot, while everyone else just positioned for the rebound.   Maybe you double teamed.   Now everyone in defense is constantly hustling, switching, cutting off passing angles, running into picks, charging out to run 3 point shooters off the line, etc.  If a defender just stands around waiting for rebounds, the coaches sit them down (unless they are Russell Westbrook lol) 

You mean players are taking the regular season seriously and trying? I heard they weren't...