Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally, I'd dislike a league where Clint Capella (whose range is 4 feet max) has more value than Klay Thompson.

Klay Thompson can score from half court. He'll always have value.

If the imbalance in the game bothers you, this is the most practical solution.

This may shock you people, but the three point shot is not a fundamental part of the game. Pete Maravich shot the ball from 26 feet all the time, and it was just a two pointer.

By the way, I'm not a reactionary like McQueen who has given up on the Wizards 525 times while declaring them obvious NBA Finalists 468 times over the past three years. I think all sports tend to work out these problems on their own. (Baseball and it's endless strikeouts right now is bound to change at some point). But three more years of the Rockets and Wizards have a three point shooting contest might change my mind.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Bull****. The C had a perfect, unobstructed view of the play in his primary area of responsibility.  The lead had an equally good, unobstructed view from the baseline. And they don’t have to watch everything. They SHOULDN’T watch everything. They should be watching their primary area of court responsibility. 

They obviously missed something, thus the need to review the play.  

58 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's the beauty of the three point dunk. 

It punishes the viewer watching a 500% increase in players Hardening to the basket for 3pts or an easy trip to the line.

Refs are already bad enough and inconsistent with calling contact in the paint and arm slaps, clean blocks etc. You want to emphasize that and take the fun out of dunks when everybody does it. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

38 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It punishes the viewer watching a 500% increase in players Hardening to the basket for 3pts or an easy trip to the line.

Refs are already bad enough and inconsistent with calling contact in the paint and arm slaps, clean blocks etc. You want to emphasize that and take the fun out of dunks when everybody does it. 

How does it make it any easier to get to the line?  You only get the points for finishing the dunk.

You think that, right now, players who are in position to dunk it are turning them down?

Somebody cool explain the Drake/baby one?

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

How does it make it any easier to get to the line?  You only get the points for finishing the dunk.

You think that, right now, players who are in position to dunk it are turning them down?

What about players that aren't in position to dunk but will now try to constantly get in position since it is an extra point or easy foul call in most cases

The other thing that I talked about before is making people tighten up their dribble.  More players now than ever drop their hand to the side and even under the ball.

(It looked to me that Curry even did a "dribble" where he put the ball in the crook of his elbow before letting hit the ground again.)

That gives them a huge advantage in terms of stopping and changing directions and makes it harder to defend perimeter players (which increases their offensive efficiency and decreases the attractiveness of post play).

By tightening up what it is a dribble to the early 1980s (and calling things that are now considered a dribble a carry), you'd shift the emphasis of the game back to the post (some).

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'd start with moving the 3 pt line back, to account for the absurd range of even your avg 21st century 3 pt shooter. That is the most sensible ruling that would meet less resistance than others, and help rebalance the league.

What Houston did (unapologetically I might add) was very destuctive, and something has to be done.

Back when only 2-3 teams played like this it was fine, but it's cannibalizing the sport

I'd extend the verticality rule to the entire court.  Let defenders own their position and air space so long as they get their first.  Let them challenge shots without fear of pump fakes so long as they come straight down.  It would help to more strictly define the act of shooting as well.  A proper jump shot has never consisted of jumping into a defender or sweeping the ball horizontally.  We know what a jump shot looks like, any "extra" movement done prior to the shot that appears intended to draw contact should continue to be called a foul... but not a shooting foul of any kind. 

Major changes to the game aren't needed to make perimeter scoring more difficult, all you need to do is let perimeter defenders play defense and stop rewarding actions that exist only to get to the free throw line. 

• Like 2