Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

6 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

That's because he HAS to be. That's why Miami LeBron was so polarizing... It was like he did whatever he wanted to at times.

To be honest, its hard to say what's more of a waste:  asking him to be the primary distributor or an assassins creed scoring machine?  Honestly, if I was building a super team, I'd build one where he could be either, not have to be either, or both.  He can drop 30 without even trying, he needs to score more.

6 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

That's because he HAS to be. That's why Miami LeBron was so polarizing... It was like he did whatever he wanted to at times.

He couldn't be. Not in Miami. His consistency from deep and mid range, and his between the ear stuff (at least in terms of the furst year) wasn't where it is now. Now, neither Jordan nor Magic had an overall game/talent that is comparable, even with LeBron's declining athleticism. He can almost do whatever he wants, whenever. So, its more accurate to say that he can be either of them whenever he chooses.

Points are more important, if he doesn't have to be the center of the universe, use LeBron as a scorer that if he sees a better shot and can get it to them.  Question though:  if you're entire starting 5 is really good at passing the ball, do you even need a traditional PG?  I kinda figured people different perspectives on different "my 5" lineups.  It'd be hard for to turn down a Jordan / Kobe backcourt, they have 18 First Team All-NBA Defensive player awards between the two of them.

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Overrated how? Not that I necessarily disagree. Just interested to hear your response. 

All time great shooter, I take nothing away from him on that, but he was a bit one dimensional.  Never a big scorer and didnt do much else besides shoot 3s.  Not much of a defender or playmaker, but he did that one thing really well. 

But I ask rhetorically, what was really the difference between Reggie Miller and say, somebody like Allan Houston or Rip Hamilton?  Probably intangibles really, but on the floor, not much different.  

I think his stature in the game is inaccurately elevated because he has some high profile moments, but the totality of his career was just good, not great.  Him being in the Hall of Fame is questionable, IMO.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually I think Rip Hamilton is a great comparison, both in play and off ball movement.

I think Reggie definitely deserves the HOF vote, no question. Great player at UCLA, Olympic gold medalist, unquestionably greatest ever Pacer, all time 3pt leader when he retired, and has to be one of the NBA'S all time leading scorers. He played forever, and was still effective even at the end.

He just played in the wrong era. the 90's wasn't kind to his kind of skillset, even though he dominated as a shooter. If he played in today's NBA, he would be looked at with a different lense, and with even more freedom of movement, he would've been even more effective than he was then. He was definitely capable of getting hot, but on a night in night out basis, nah, he wasn't on that crazy level.

But you don't have to be to be a Hall of Famer.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is there a realistic team that LeBron can go to this summer that would give him a chance to beat a healthy Golden State next year?

No.  Even if he goes to the Lakers with that young talent and PG meets him there, only time I've seen PG make a game winning shot was in a gatorade commercial.  He needs shooters, maybe he can get some guys to follow him on a discount.  My marbles are on Boston, its still not a fair fight even they are healthy going in.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

But I ask rhetorically, what was really the difference between Reggie Miller and say, somebody like Allan Houston or Rip Hamilton?  Probably intangibles really, but on the floor, not much different.  

This is crazy.  Miller was a much better 3 point shooter on Hamilton and took more 3's than Hamilton.  All in all, he was just a much better score (higher 2 point FG% too) and a FT shooter.  As a result, his career eFG% is nearly 100 points higher than Hamilton's (54% vs. 46%).  

In his prime, Miller is over 12 WS player, while Hamilton barely breaks 8.

Hamilton wasn't even the best player on his team.

I might buy that Klay is better than Miller, partly, because Klay is the better defender, but I'd love to see Miller play in this era to see what he could do.

But there's a big gap between Miller and Rip Hamilton.

And I'm not even going to get into Allan Houston.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

Right now my ultimate starting five is....

Curry

Jordan

Lebron

KD

Hakeem

K, been thinking of a test run (don't typically do these):

Kobe

Jordan

LeBron

Anthony Davis

Hakeem

A lot of these ideas I see a lot of focus on offense, I like the idea of my backcourt known for defense damn near unstoppable scoring.  I really don't like situations where we picking the same players, but I like AD's size vs KD's.  I'd love to see Jordan guarding Curry.  I wanted to pick Shaq instead, but what I remember most about him was just being too large for people to cover, not his dominance defensively and certainly not his free throw percentage.  Do we need to pick different players for this scenario to make sense?  I want that backcourt, but I'm kinda accepting you got me on three point shooting.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

This is crazy.  Miller was a much better 3 point shooter on Hamilton and took more 3's than Hamilton.  All in all, he was just a much better score (higher 2 point FG% too) and a FT shooter.  As a result, his career eFG% is nearly 100 points higher than Hamilton's (54% vs. 46%).  

In his prime, Miller is over 12 WS player, while Hamilton barely breaks 8.

Hamilton wasn't even the best player on his team.

I might buy that Klay is better than Miller, partly, because Klay is the better defender, but I'd love to see Miller play in this era to see what he could do.

But there's a big gap between Miller and Rip Hamilton.

And I'm not even going to get into Allan Houston.

Reggie would kill it in this NBA. Kill it. Defense is nice, but usually a player like Reggie will always play on a stacked defensive team to take advantage of that ability.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you doing that based on premise of having to have 1 player at each traditional position or just the best team you can make?  

Best team I can make.  Those are the five best players in the history of the sport IMO.

1 - Jordan

2 - LeBron

3 - Kareem

4 - Russell

5 - Magic

Also makes a nice line up.  The two greatest scorers in the history of the NBA, the two greatest all around playmakers, and the greatest defensive player.

• Like 1

It's also the group of the greatest champions in the history of the sport, although LeBron is arguable.  Admittedly, his Finals record isn't the best.  Even though he lost a couple he shouldn't have, has done some choking, and has some issues with passive aggressiveness and control that have undermined his teams, he's also dragging dead dog teams to the Finals that went up against far superior teams.

The other guys are rock solid champions who are unimpeachable.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The two greatest scorers in the history of the NBA, the two greatest all around playmakers, and the greatest defensive player.

I'd love to see Kobe vs Magic.  I'd hate to see AD vs Russell.  Didn't Dream and Russell both play center?  You really want to walk into an all-time 5 on 5 with two centers?  I'm sure you got a good reason for it, though.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd love to see Kobe vs Magic.  I'd hate to see AD vs Russell.  Didn't Dream and Russell both play center?  You really want to walk into an all-time 5 on 5 with two centers?  I'm sure you got a good reason for it, though.

Russell is interchangeable at PF and C.

The issue with playing Kobe at PG is your passing is going to be bad.  Great passing is the mark of the greatest players.  I actually picked Kareem, not Hakeem.  Kareem was an incredible all around player who was a great passer in addition to being a great scorer, defender, and rebounder.  He does everything exceptionally well and, before LeBron came along, I think he was clearly the second greatest NBA player ever, with arguably the greatest total career in the history of the sport.  The other positions are up for debate, but IMO, Jordan and Kareem have to be the starting 2 and 5 on any worthwhile All Time team.  They are as special as it gets.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Russell is interchangeable at PF and C.

The issue with playing Kobe at PG is your passing is going to be bad.  Great passing is the mark of the greatest players.  I actually picked Kareem, not Hakeem.  

Gotcha, thing about Russell is why I don't dive in on these, looked around and all I see was him labeled as a center.  Still don't know how well that translates to players from the late 20th / early 21st century.

For the record, I brought up a couple times that I don't like the idea of an all-time team not having an all-time pass distributor at PG, but in my team, that job would be LeBron's, not Kobe's.  I'd want a center that is a total difference maker on defense, my bad reading past and missing Kareem vs Hakeem. 

I do believe there are great players that can be dropped into any era and hold there, but wouldn't go so far as an all-in "all of them could" type statement. Does that matter discussions like this come up?  In Jordan/LeBron debates, I hear about legacies, either I'm missing them, but rarely see the "if they went one on one on the court".  I don't know if anybody really wants to see that.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

K, been thinking of a test run (don't typically do these):

Kobe

Jordan

LeBron

Anthony Davis

Hakeem

A lot of these ideas I see a lot of focus on offense, I like the idea of my backcourt known for defense damn near unstoppable scoring.  I really don't like situations where we picking the same players, but I like AD's size vs KD's.  I'd love to see Jordan guarding Curry.  I wanted to pick Shaq instead, but what I remember most about him was just being too large for people to cover, not his dominance defensively and certainly not his free throw percentage.  Do we need to pick different players for this scenario to make sense?  I want that backcourt, but I'm kinda accepting you got me on three point shooting.

I like to do my teams with real world implications, like for example, Jordan and Kobe would never work. Game is too similar, attitudes would be like fire and gssoline, each trying to establish control, wanting to dominate the ball, irking LeBron, who functions best as a basketball supermassive black hole.

I like Dream and Brow though, but I bet with my team (Maravich, Miller, LeBron, Dirk, Shaq) I could give him to you, replace him with maybe Glen Rice, I think my team would beat your team.

It's more fun that way imo

Edited by Mr. Sinister

23 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Agree. Chucking 30-40 three pointers a game isn’t entertaining at all. The ball movement is good, but the terrible officiating and seeing pumpkins launched every minute isn’t what I care to watch.

Are you even a basketball fan tho?

you come into these threads to complain about the sport and bring your misery. You do it all the time, and for all the non nfl sports.

21 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yikes, over Magic?  That shooting ability cannot be understated, but he is still undersized and not an emphasis on passing ability.  Granted, he doesn't need to be in that style offense (he doesn't have to be Wall), but he's another example to me of someone playing PG because they are the best Guard on the team (not because they are a great PG), and should a SG (which GS won't do because they have Klay).  This isn't to say Curry doesn't belong on a top 5 team when discussing backups like honerable mentions, is just don't agree with starting him as a PG just because he can shoot like that.  Curry has only averaged over 7 assists per game twice in his career, Magic was averaging a double-double for nearly a decade.

If Curry continues on this path, he will pass Magic. People are just going to have to accept that.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Thanks 1