Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Clippera offense last night was odd. Griffin was running point fwd in the first half - then especially in the 4th it seemed like they had the ball in Crawford, Rivers, and Barnes hands and Crawford went shot jacking.

Clippera offense last night was odd. Griffin was running point fwd in the first half - then especially in the 4th it seemed like they had the ball in Crawford, Rivers, and Barnes hands and Crawford went shot jacking.

I don't think people put enough thought into how hard it actually is to run an NBA offense. I actually think their offense is at its most devastating when it's Blake distributing out of the high post. But they sometimes have a hard time initiating that. And when they can't get set - the worst tendencies of their perimeter players come out.

They never have any trouble initiating their offense with CP3 is in the game. But sometimes, the ball sticks to him a little too much or it becomes a little too predictable.

The Clippers have three incredibly effective sets - Blake in the high post; Blake/CP3 pick and roll/pick and pop; CP3/Jordan pick and roll. However, these things aren't really compatible.

As effective as all their options are, CP3 controlling the ball does almost always guarantee a decent shot. That series winner against SA was an amazing play and a pretty tough shot....but it was an under-control jumper from within ten feet. A lot of times, a point guard gets you an out of rhythm 18 footer on that play.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/07/report-matt-barnes-talked-trash-to-james-hardens-mom-during-game-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've been told Matt Barnes talked smack to James Harden's mom during the game.

— Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins)

You can peruse twitter if you want to know exactly what Barnes said. If accurate, Harden has to drop him on sight.

• Like 1

"Talked smack" is a very, very, very generous way of describing what happened

Id have found him somewhere after the game

According to the deadspin article (headline language warning, NSFW) Harden's brother did find him after the game and asked Barnes to apologize to his mother.  Barnes did as requested and the apology was accepted. 

Except those guys were really good.

There's a dozen guys who does what Barnes does without being Barnes.

Not that I care. I want everyone talking smack to everyone's mother.

Bill was nothing special. Rodman carried him when they won.

Tell me this dozen these days though.

Do most teams have some form of the gritty wing defender these days? I'm not going over all of them but the ones remaining seem to...

Warriors - Iguodala

Grizzlies - Allen

Clippers - Barnes

Rockets - Ariza

Wizards - Otto (Randy just never let him play because reasons)

Hawks - Sefolosha

Bulls - All of them? Feels that way.

Cavs - Shump

Some are better than others but the point is, teams need someone willing to earn his check chasing guys on the perimeter. Preferably one that can occasionally knock down an open shot on offense.

Since time immemorial, good teams have needed a perimeter stopper.  Preferably one that can hit threes.  The more he does beyond those things, the more his value scales up exponentially:  

Defend the perimeter + Shoot threes...

+ Defend the post and/or rebound =  Draymond Green territory

+ Post D/Rebound + run the floor and finish fast breaks = Kawhi Leonard territory

+ Post D/Rebound + finish breaks + facilitate = Scottie Pippen and Paul George territory.  

+ Post D/Rebound + finish breaks + facilitate + score in high volume with high efficiency in the half court =  LeBron, Bird, Hondo, and Durant territory.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Barnes is todays NBA version of Dennis Rodman or Bill Laimbeer (sp?).

You hate him, unless he is on your team.

Sorta - but both of those guys were much better players than Barnes.   I'm not sure Clipper fans love Barnes that much because they recognize him as the weak link in their lineup.   

edit - beaten again - I really need to start reading the entire thread before I post.

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

Bill was nothing special. Rodman carried him when they won.

Tell me this dozen these days though.

Laimbeer was one of the most underrated players of his time.   The entire Pistons defense (the best of its time) hinged on his help defense down low and his ability to channel people into low percentage shots just outside of their comfort zone.  He played defense like a 2015 player does using analytics, 30 years before his time.  

Laimbeer was one of the most underrated players of his time.   The entire Pistons defense (the best of its time) hinged on his help defense down low and his ability to channel people into low percentage shots just outside of their comfort zone.  He played defense like a 2015 player does using analytics, 30 years before his time.  

Laimbeer would have fit in ridiculously well in this era - aside from the fact that he would have been banned for life for cheap shots. He wasn't a great one on one post defender, but there are very few great post scorers. He would have been fantastic in the overload schemes everyone runs. He would be fantastic in the space and pace era, because he was a legit center with legit range. He rarely shot threes, but I think in today's world, he would be an average three point shooter.....from the 5. Part of what made Celtics bigs hate him so much was that he would beat you up on D and then make you run to the perimeter on O.