Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

That is a truly disgusting idea.   I hate them whiny flippy floppy cheap shot jerks.

It would be Evil triumphing over Good. It would validate their ****ing, flopping bull****. A whole generation of children would be ruined by Anti-American values as they seek to "Be Like Blake." Kia will become our corporate overlord and probably be used as a mouthpiece for North Korean propaganda. Really, Democracy is at stake.

Go clippers! The Wiz can beat those guys.

Well, not sure we could. Also, I'm afraid to even think such thoughts. I can't help but look past Atlanta and see how the Cavs-Bulls series might effect our path. But I'm trying to keep my mind on this Atlanta series. I feel oddly confident going into game two. Feels like it's going to be one of those games where Atlanta throws the kitchen sink at the Wizards but they end up losing another heartbreaker.

Hate James Harden who lives off flopping, but he was more important to his team than Curry.

Not an argument for MVP.  John Wall is more important to his team than either of them are.  The Wizards would win about 25 games without him.  He's not the MVP.  The MVP almost always goes to the great player who had the best season and that was Curry.

NBA MVPs have some of the steadiest and most predictable norms for the award of any of the major sports.  It and probably rookie of the year are the two awards that the voters almost always get right.  You can go back over the history of the NBA MVPs and it's pretty much all 50 greatest players during their peak.  Nary a Mark Mosely to be found.  The NBA season gives a big enough sample size and the best players have a palpable enough impact on team wins and losses that you don't get any dogs winning the award.

I was able to predict with a very high degree of confidence Curry would win the award like two or three months ago when Golden State started pulling away from the West.  That's because the norms for the award are so clear.  

This year, this norm applied:

1.) If there is one team that pulls away from everyone else in their conference and is the clear cut best team during the regular season, AND

2.) if they have one great player leading them and putting up great individual numbers,

then that player WILL win MVP.  This is also what happened in 2011 and 2013.

However,

1.) If it's a season where the top two seeds are basically even, 

OR

2.) the top seeds from each conference are even and each have a great player leading them and putting up big individual numbers,

then things like superior individual volume and efficiency numbers or the amount of help get taken into account.  That's what happened in 2012 and 2014.

For Harden to have won it this season, the Rockets would have had to hang with the Warriors and he would have had to outproduce Curry.  If Harden had won it, that would have been a big break from the MVP norms for the past 35 years.

Am I the only one who thinks firing Thibs would be ****ing crazy? That's how you demolish a successful foundation. If Randy Wittman is good enough to keep his job, then it's a travesty to fire Thibs. If the Bulls fire him, I hope he goes somewhere with a star and wins a ring.

Am I the only one who thinks firing Thibs would be ****ing crazy? That's how you demolish a successful foundation. If Randy Wittman is good enough to keep his job, then it's a travesty to fire Thibs. If the Bulls fire him, I hope he goes somewhere with a star and wins a ring.

I have to think playing for him is freaking miserable after a while. I always thought he would be like Doug Collins - never more than 3 years in one place. 5 years seem like an eternity.

Rockets were not as good as their record this year.  They won a ton of very close games at the buzzer, or when other teams missed shots at the buzzer.   In other words, they were pretty lucky.  I think their Pythagorean expected win total (based on points scored and allowed) was 50 games, but they actually won 56 (give them credit for being good in the clutch, but that's a big difference).  

The Clippers actually had a Pythagorean expected win total of 61, second best in the league.

Not just that, but Harden attempted a staggering 824 free throws (10.17 per game). Anyone who watched Houston play knows half of those are the result of flops or phantom whistles when he flails after a shot attempt. He gets more love from the officials than any true superstar in NBA history. Come playoff time, those numbers go down. The deeper you go, the fewer BS fouls will be called. He is already "down" to 9.6 FTA/G, and that number will continue to fall.

I think the reason Harden gets more love from the officials than other floppers is because he's quiet.  He doesn't constantly **** at the refs like CP3 and Griffin do.  You can tell everyone in the NBA, players and officials, HATE Blake Griffin.  He no longer gets the benefit of the doubt from officials as much.

A lot of the contact that Harden initiates is subtle.  You have to pay close attention, but if you do you can see that Harden initiates near constant contact with his opponent  throughout a game.  Even in between plays.  He would be one of the most annoying players in the league to play against because he is constantly invading your personal space.

He's gone unless they win a ring

GarPax hates him and he hates them back. It's really a damn Shame

Hate James Harden who lives off flopping, but he was more important to his team than Curry.

Perhaps.   But Curry team won 67 games.  Harden's didn't.   How many of those wins were because of Curry?  Who knows.  Curry was more efficient statistically.   Harden led the NBA in turnovers.  

Actually, you know who was REALLY important to his team?  DeMarcus Cousins.   Without him, the Kings might have won 5 games.   Why isn't he the MVP?  

(with that said, I would have cast my vote for Harden too.  But Curry also deserved it)

Edited by Predicto

I have to think playing for him is freaking miserable after a while. I always thought he would be like Doug Collins - never more than 3 years in one place. 5 years seem like an eternity.

I could see some burnout effect over time.  He runs his core guys that he trusts into the ground.  I don't think Jimmy Butler is going to have a long career because of Thibs.

But those guys will run through walls for him.  Something about him produces extreme loyalty.  How has Taj Gibson not been in open revolt all season?  Guy is 29 years old and had a break out season last year.  Was the 6MOY and could have also been the DPOY.  And yet he's been jerked around by both Thibs and the organization and been forced into a back up role almost his entire career.  If this guy had been playing with LeBron in Miami instead, he would have been one of his favorite teammates.  Made an All Star team or two and have a ring and be so much more highly regarded.  A normal player playing for a normal coach would have demanded a trade years ago.

I know I'm late, but the Wizards might could beat the Grizzlies in a 7 game series, but that is a big maybe. Other than that, I can't see us winning more than one game against any of the other 3 teams. Especially the Warriors. They are the Wizards, but on steroids!

I know I'm late, but the Wizards might could beat the Grizzlies in a 7 game series, but that is a big maybe. Other than that, I can't see us winning more than one game against any of the other 3 teams. Especially the Warriors. They are the Wizards, but on steroids!

That's an outrageous accusation!   The Dubs never have tested positive for steroids.

hooray for HGH

• Like 1

I think the reason Harden gets more love from the officials than other floppers is because he's quiet.  He doesn't constantly **** at the refs like CP3 and Griffin do.  You can tell everyone in the NBA, players and officials, HATE Blake Griffin.  He no longer gets the benefit of the doubt from officials as much.

A lot of the contact that Harden initiates is subtle.  You have to pay close attention, but if you do you can see that Harden initiates near constant contact with his opponent  throughout a game.  Even in between plays.  He would be one of the most annoying players in the league to play against because he is constantly invading your personal space.

The reason Harden goes to the line is because he is legitimately fouled. Whether he "initiates" the contact or not, it's still a foul. Getting fouled is a legitimate skill. Kevin Martin has played in the NBA for 11 years because he has the skill.

Is it a particularly entertaining skill to watch? Nope. But I don't think it's fair to call Harden a flopper. He's an instigator, and he puts the refs in a position where they have to call fouls.

• Like 2

\ But I don't think it's fair to call Harden a flopper. He's an instigator, and he puts the refs in a position where they have to call fouls.

Agreed.  It's horrible basketball to watch and the rules should be changed, but he's not just flopping.   

He's not a Clipper.   :)

I could see some burnout effect over time. He runs his core guys that he trusts into the ground. I don't think Jimmy Butler is going to have a long career because of Thibs.

But those guys will run through walls for him. Something about him produces extreme loyalty. How has Taj Gibson not been in open revolt all season? Guy is 29 years old and had a break out season last year. Was the 6MOY and could have also been the DPOY. And yet he's been jerked around by both Thibs and the organization and been forced into a back up role almost his entire career. If this guy had been playing with LeBron in Miami instead, he would have been one of his favorite teammates. Made an All Star team or two and have a ring and be so much more highly regarded. A normal player playing for a normal coach would have demanded a trade years ago.

Yeah....the Taj from last year was an outlier. He's nowhere that good.

And the minutes thing is a bit overblown. Deng is doing fine if I'm not mistaken

Also....Thibs' lineup decision making is awful sometimes. Like real bad.

I'm already of the mind that he's gone. He's a good coach but I'd like to see a new sets of fingerprints on this team

I hate the argument of being more important to your team as being worthy of the MVP. Great, you can win your team's MVP award in that case.

The NBA or any league MVP is the the player that had the most outstanding and memorable season. It's a combination of stats, efficiency, memorable or defining moments, team wins and probably legacy. By legacy, I mean that looking back, how would that season be remembered. What player is going to claim that season as their own? This season it was easily Curry, given all that.

That's also why I would take JJ Watt as the NFL MVP because he put his stamp on this sesson and stood out in dominating fashion moreso than anyone, including a good but wholly forgettable year from Rodgers.

I agree with Momma, but this year, Chef absolutely deserved it by leaps and bounds. That team is unreal. And he is their most unreal player, and they would be vastly more beatable without him. And he had an amazing individual season, playing less minutes than the other guys.

I agree with Momma, but this year, Chef absolutely deserved it by leaps and bounds. That team is unreal. And he is their most unreal player, and they would be vastly more beatable without him. And he had an amazing individual season, playing less minutes than the other guys.

I been Steph Curry with shot, Been cookin with the sauce, chef, curry with the pot boy. 

The reason Harden goes to the line is because he is legitimately fouled. Whether he "initiates" the contact or not, it's still a foul. Getting fouled is a legitimate skill. Kevin Martin has played in the NBA for 11 years because he has the skill.

Is it a particularly entertaining skill to watch? Nope. But I don't think it's fair to call Harden a flopper. He's an instigator, and he puts the refs in a position where they have to call fouls.

Yeah, this is horse****.  He is the biggest flopper in the league.  Just type in James Harden Flop into google and begin viewing the smorgasbord of different flops.

Some good ones:

I don't know what it is about this time of the year, but there is a lot of revisionism going on.  "Randy Wittman was playing possum and he's not a lousy coach."  "James Harden isn't a flopper."

Gilbert Arenas was skilled at getting to the FT line by getting fouled and bull****ing the contact to the officials.  James Harden is a flopper who takes bull**** artistry to the next level:  http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/11/24/7274803/james-harden-tyson-chandler-amazing-flop-shove-mavericks-rockets

He plays like a lying little girl.

I just find this debate hilarious. Every team has floppers. A big part of basketball is free throws. If you aren't trying to use them then you're doing it wrong. Sure it's annoying (listen I HATE watching Gasol flop like a drunk giraffe) but it's part of the game in every sport

Sure Harden is a great at it but he's also one of the most talented physical specimens this side of Bron

Respect game Bruh

I mean dude saw how much **** he's gotten defensively and has made a concerted effort to be a decent defender. Steve treats him like he's A Rod lol

I been Steph Curry with shot, Been cookin with the sauce, chef, curry with the pot boy.

Yes that's the reference dude lol Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93