Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

They never seem to be TimberWolves fans though. You don't run into northern Va fans of the Milwaukee Bucks either. In fact it's funny how often it seems to be the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers. I'm sure there is a reason why, but who is to say what it could be? Maybe one day someone will figure it out.

A lot of it also has to do with what was available to watch on TV for the older crowd that grew up in the 50s-60s.  For example, in the small town I'm from in NC, according to my father and mother, they showed the following teams all the time on TV:  Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Yankees, SF Giants, Dodgers, Rams, Redskins, Cowboys, Steelers.  And I'm sure some others I've left out.

Point being, if you were born and raised in a state without professional sports and didn't have family from an area that did, you picked a team on TV/Radio and started pulling for them.  My dad's family is from VA and his uncle had season tickets to RFK, so we are Redskins fans.  In baseball, he is a Giants fan, my mom is a Yankees fan and I'm a Braves fan (because all of my friends pulled for the Braves as they were the most local team and always televised on TBS).  

My dad was a Celtics fan and my mom cared less about pro-basketball.  There are a lot of factors involved.  

They never seem to be TimberWolves fans though. You don't run into northern Va fans of the Milwaukee Bucks either. In fact it's funny how often it seems to be the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers. I'm sure there is a reason why, but who is to say what it could be? Maybe one day someone will figure it out.

My Brother is a Packers and Sacramento Kings fan. Born and bred in DC.

My Sisters are Redskins and Titans fans respectively.

Kids choose teams for two reasons:

1. It's in the closest city to them.

2. The team was really good when they started watching sports.

(There is a small, small minority of fans who are just poseur assholes. I know a guy who like the San Francisco Giants, The New Orleans Saints, and the New York Knicks. Seriously, that guy should be sterilized).

I don't completely understand why we aren't allowed to change our loyalties. I was a Celtics fan when I was a teenager, because of course, I was. But I had no connection to them. And once they started sucking when I hit college, I stopped paying attention to them, because why would I? I'm now an NBA agnostic. I have no favorite team. It's really liberating. You should try it. I wish I could do it for all sports.

It allowed me to get into the Gilbert Era Wizards when I lived in DC. It's allowed me to follow the Rockets now that I'm in Houston. I should probably move to Portland next. That would be fun.

No offense intended, but you need to punch your brother in his face. Seriously, who becomes a Kings fan?

Like, how do you even follow that team? Constantly refreshing the ESPN game app at midnight on a Tuesday in February?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Why does it matter who/why someone roots for tho?

(Deleted long winded rant)

It really shouldn't as long as they don't switch teams. 

I like the O's, Redskins, and IU basketball. The rest of the sports I watch are mostly just for fun but I have a vague pecking order of teams I like and don't like. 

I've grown up in DC since I was 2, so I like the Skins and O's (no DC baseball...let's not rehash that debate). I like IU basketball because my family is from Indiana. So, I'm not a DC sports fan, I'm a devout and loyal fan of 3 teams representing 3 different cities/areas. 

LOL, I think you making this a lot more than it is, especially if you really think I take anything anyone on here says personally, including yourself. 

Honestly, I think its you who is being a wee bit sensitive here, judging by your initial response. I'll repeat, there was no malice in my heart while making that post. Honestly, I was being 100% serious with Mcqueen (and I'm sure he was being serious too), and then some random jabroni comes out and says "Yo, don't let 'em troll you like that son!". More importantly, its someone that I don't have many dealings with on here. As a result, that was kind of annoying.

But, don't think you can just expect to make a post the way you did, and think I wasn't going to respond to it. You can pretend it's nothing all you want (I have no problem doing it), but your tone/words say otherwise.

Thats just not the way things work in life, champ. So, if you have a problem, then by all means air all your grievances. If you don't, then move on, and quit whining about how much you think I hate you.

No offense intended, but you need to punch your brother in his face. Seriously, who becomes a Kings fan?

I was definitely all about the Kings back when I was in high school. Those teams were fun to watch and got screwed over pretty big. They weren't the Lakers and that meant a lot to people that didn't wanna see the success of that dynasty.

I say more props to anyone who stuck with 'em in these lean years(especially on the east coast), 'cause back when they were consistent winners, Arco looked like a hell of a place to play.

You're right though, can't imagine rooting for a west coast team growing up simply cause of the lack of exposure. Without COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE streaming websites I'd never see the Wizards out here in Chicago ('Cept when I got to be there & watch 'em make the Bulls pack up their lockers)

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy

QFT

I once went bowling with an untreated broken hand and just destroyed all of my friends. A decade it gets sore as hell in cold weather but the memory is worth it, damnit.

How ever I've had a couple charley horses in life so bad I've had to crawl off the court in front of my friends. Pretty embarrassing.

They just don't compare at all.

It doesn't mean I still won't make a couple cheap LeBron jokes like a hypocrite, though.

I actually had a full body cramp one time after balling all day, and without thinking, drank a ton of water, which further depleted my body of its electrolytes. Was awoken at night by the worst pain I've ever felt. Legs, thighs, arms, shoulders, abdomen, neck.

Just legs alone is painful enough. You reach down (which is the natural thing most people do) and then the other one locks up. I actually forced myself down a flight of stairs to get to a pack of gatorade and a banana, and a result, went through even more pain, and ended up being sore for almost a week.

Was working out in the gym too, when the AC went out, and it was awful. Small little cardio room, and I was the only one in there. Cramped not long after that, too. As a big guy, in an arena ful of people with no AC, who is very explosive in his movements, Lebron is not going to be able to operate. Its as simple as that.

I think this is a good example of finding out how many lazy fatasses watch sports, to put it bluntly, and just declare that athletes should be able to play through smallpox.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I am adamently opposed to people cheering for a college they neither they nor their parents attended. Then, again, as I get older, I am adamently opposed to college sports.

Nothing drives me crazier than a college sports fan with a 10th grade education saying "We." College is the one level of sports where saying "We" is acceptable. But only if you really are the "We."

I don't like people. That's probably not a shock. 

• Like 2

I grew up a Reds fan (lived in Southern WV until I was 7 and they owned that part of WV), became disinterested in them when they went through the dark Schott years, and followed no one until I came out to Nor Cal in 99. I met my wife, who at the time was a season ticket holder for the Giants, and slowly became a Giants fan over time. I have no regrets or shame at admitting that.

That said, I will never move off of being a Skins, Caps, Wiz, or Mountaineers fan. I appreciate the Niners these days - but that's because they play a type of football that us old school Skins fans should appreciate. But I don't appreciate them more than I love my Skins.

Edited by The Evil Genius

We need to have a thread like that. Describe how you think a poster looks/acts in real life based on their posts.       

that Chew guy is a cornball brotha, I'm sure of it.  I mean seriously, what the hell kinda name is "Young Chew" anyway?

As far as how he looks, I'm gonna go with Ballchinian:

406e5680741946e0c0ddb1416ddad158aec3d79c

My Sisters are Redskins and Titans fans respectively.

Brett Favre's Packers and the Webber/Bibby Kings? Well at least he picked teams that were fun to watch.

Were you a lakers fan back in 2002? Did you get into a fist fight over the refereeing of that Lakers/Kings game 6?

• Like 1

Brett Favre's Packers and the Webber/Bibby Kings? Well at least he picked teams that were fun to watch.

Were you a lakers fan back in 2002? Did you get into a fist fight over the refereeing of that Lakers/Kings game 6?

I've been a Laker fan since the 70's.

And no we did not. we are adults that realize pro sports are entertainment.