Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Pretty unnecessary when we typically seem to be lumping anyone that doesn't root for their local team as a bandwagoner, which is a joke.

You can't underestimate the influence of fathers and families in sports interests. If you grow up with your dad and brothers etc all rooting for a team you will likely root for them as well. If they don't watch or care about a sport but you do, as a young kid what are you supposed to do?

It doesn't matter how you find a team to root for or if you pick a local team or not as long as once you have a team you support them eternally and faithfully IMO. That's all that matters.

This bandwagon crap is just nonsense that makes fans of loser franchises feel better about themselves and their teams. As if there is some sort of honor rooting for a loser. Every person has their own reasons for rooting for a team, those are the breaks. Some people happen to be diehard fans of non local teams and local teams stink. Oh well

If you've been a fan of the Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Heat, Yankees, Knicks etc since you were a kid but happen to live in DMV what difference does it make? Does that make you less of a fan? We love to give Cowboys fans in the area crap because many have never been to Texas. Who cares? Just because they happen to be born in a certain geographical area they can't root for whoever the hell they want to?

Most people have made up their minds about their teams at a young age anyway, as long as they stick with that team, how are they a bandwagoner?

Live in VA been a Redskins fan since I was 5 but I'm actually closer to the Panthers geographically. I guess I should have switched to the Panthers like so many former Skins fans did that we now like to make fun of, get mad about and criticize?

Bandwagoner is not the same as rooting for a team outside your area. Bandwagoners are people that follow a sport casually and just root for the best and most visible teams when they watch them, never really committing to one. They are NOT actual fans. Even when they are knowledgeable. What LKB said he does is bandwagoning. He knows he's not a real fan of any team. If you asked him if he was a Houston fan, he would say no.

Fans of teams outside their area are real fans. But if they don't have a good reason for being a fan of that out of market team, then it's lame. Partly because, most of the time, when they were deciding their loyalties for a league, they picked that team with zero connection to them or that area. They picked them because at the time they were the best or one of the best. I had a friend growing up whose spent his entire life in Virginia and his favorite teams are the Cowboys, Florida St. football, Duke basketball, and the Sacramento Kings. I don't care that he's supported them the same even during crap years. It's lame. He picked them without any connection to them because they were good at the time.

Fandom definitely is about loving and supporting your team even when they make mistakes and suck. But more than anything, it's about community. And if you root for a team outside your area, how in the world do you actually belong to their community? I watch every single Wizards and Redskins game unless I'm traveling. I can do that because they come on local TV. I spend a bunch of time talking to other die hard fans of my team and it's easy because there are a ton in the area. I can go see games in person without having to spend too much more than DC locals. How on Earth does a fan living out of market even watch their team regularly without buying special packages? Of course many do buy those packages. And almost always it's because they're actual die hards with a real connection to that team that just relocated. The others, what, watch their team a handful of times a season? Talk to groups of other die hards how often? How is that really belonging to the fan base?

These internet messageboard things are getting pretty popular nowadays. So is illegal streaming lol

It's really not that hard to find other die hard fans or watch your team. Hell, Arsenal plays in another country and I keep up with them daily.

If calling another person lame because they don't support the local ****ty is what you like, that's fine bro.

JUST.LET.IT.DIE. THO

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

"I'm the easiest target in pro sports" -- Lebron James.

While I would probably agree with him, why say anything? It just shows that the criticism is getting to him.

I understand that he has a right to defend himself against critics and "haters," but if I'm a Heat fan I'd rather he let his game 2 performance do the talking. Not make statements that COULD be perceived as him being sensitive.

While I would probably agree with him, why say anything? It just shows that the criticism is getting to him.

I understand that he has a right to defend himself against critics and "haters," but if I'm a Heat fan I'd rather he let his game 2 performance do the talking. Not make statements that COULD be perceived as him being sensitive.

Well because at this point I doubt anyone thinks he's sensitive. He's proven that he's focused already. 

1.) You settle in a new area and take that team

2.) or you moved from the area that was your original team and kept them.

3.) Your family is originally from a different area and were die hards of that local team, relocated to a new area where you were born, kept following that original team, and you're maintaining the family tradition.

4.) You personally know someone who plays for/played for or works for/worked for the team.

There are more examples than that.

I grew up in NC. There was no professional football team here. So I started cheering for the Redskins, who were the team shown each week in this market. So you're telling me I was supposed to dump them for the Panthers in 1995?

Well because at this point I doubt anyone thinks he's sensitive. He's proven that he's focused already.

I think LeBron is very sensitive. He likes to be liked. So the criticism probably does bother him personally... But I don't think he let's it bother his game.

I grew up in NC. There was no professional football team here. So I started cheering for the Redskins, who were the team shown each week in this market. So you're telling me I was supposed to dump them for the Panthers in 1995?

Yes. We don't want you to be a Redskins fan anyway. Go root for your lover boy Cam... Lol
  • Like 1

I wish I was on my computer so I can be more efficient with what I'm about to say, but I'll just try my best...

I must admit that this day and age, we will see more and more people supporting teams from areas they knew nothing about because of the availability of the access to the information of the team.

But like Steve said, hoping from team to team is the worst. If you're a Cowboys, Bulls, and Yankees fan in the 90's. I better not hear you say I am now a Patriots, Lakers, and Cardinals fan in the 2010's...

Nope. You rooted for the home team when the Redskins were the home team. Your allegiance is set and you have a real connection to the Redskins. A new team coming in and pushing out the old team from the market doesn't mean you lose your connection and allegiance to the old team. This is the exact same situation that happened to DC area Orioles fans.

When they were talking about moving the Kings to VA Beach last year, this would have happened to me too. I wouldn't have rooted for them. I might have gone to their games to throw them some economic support because it's good for the region. But my loyalty would absolutely still have been to the Wizards. I like being a Wizards fan. I like being a part of that community and I love that team and wouldn't be able to give them up. If I move out of market, I won't stop being a Wizards fan and I will find a way to keep watching them every game and I will keep in touch with Wizards fan communities.

I also have no problem with anyone who abandons an old team when a new one moves into their market. I have no problem with Nats fans who gave up the Orioles when the Nats came in. I have no problem with Ravens or Panthers fans who used to be Redskins fans until they got their own teams. That's a legit connection to the team and it's supporting your community.

And another situation is if your team gets sold and new ownership moves them. That's your team divorcing you and running off with another man. Seattle Supersonics. If that happened to me with any of my teams, I'd probably stop watching the league altogether.

Wait you didn't answer my question

Am I fake for not being a ravens fan? They are my home state team

And another situation is if your team gets sold and new ownership moves them. That's your team divorcing you and running off with another man. Seattle Supersonics. If that happened to me with any of my teams, I'd probably stop watching the league altogether.

It's sports for God's sake. Entertainment. You're not married to anything

Everything has to be an epic drama with you doesn't it?

• Like 1

While I would probably agree with him, why say anything?

The way I see it, he had 2 options:

1.)Not even address it (let morons be morons), not give anyone any ammo, or reason for more morons to claim he's "mentally weak", and do nothing but say how much you're focused on Game 2.

2.) Or he could have said something like "You'd think people would understand, seeing as how they could cramp when they go to the fridge for that extra ice cream sandwich," only to "Offend" the sensitive, bitter "Jordan/Bird would never do that!" masses.

I'd prefer 1, but I would have laughed my ass off at 2.

• Like 1

I would love a heel turn from LeBron. But he's too much of a professional to do that

But what's funny is when ppl pull the "MJ/Bird wouldn't do that!" Card. Those two were two of the biggest walking douches of all time....but that doesn't fit the narrative I guess

I've never seen him as much as get pissed on court. I remember that game where Joakim Noah was **** talking him from the bench. In reality, Noah wasn't really **** yet and Bron should have just verbally ended his life but he blocked it out

The only heelish thing he's ever done was sych out Arenas at the foul line

I would love a heel turn from LeBron. But he's too much of a professional to do that

I said that about RG3 last year. I wished he would have came out and destroyed those bammas.

But yeah, who are the refs for tomorrow?

I said that about RG3 last year. I wished he would have came out and destroyed those bammas.

But yeah, who are the refs for tomorrow?

I don't see how crampgate is getting so much attention....both from the idiots who say lebron,should've played through it, or the endless amount of folks defending him.

Nobody can run up and down a basketball court with leg cramps. Period. Can't understand how it's still trending on social media two days later.

• Like 2

Redskins are at least DC, MD, VA (aka the DMV) so I don't know where all this "MD is my home state" stuff related to the Ravens is coming from.  The Ravens may have also set up shop in MD but they are tolerated here, not owed anything by anyone in Redskins country.   :)

Edited by Destino

Redskins are at least DC, MD, VA (aka the DMV) so I don't know where all this "MD is my home state" stuff related to the Ravens is coming from.  The Ravens may have also set up shop in MD but they are tolerated here, not owed anything by anyone in Redskins country.   :)

I was posting a ridiculous response to this ridiculous topic

No. Why are you a Bulls fan though?

Cuz they give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. 

But they were seriously the first team I knew that existed. My stepdad had the first three championship seasons on vhs and I watched them daily as a kid (can still recite them all word for word). I thought the only teams that mattered in the NBA were the Bulls, Lakers, Blazers, Suns, and Pistons because no DC was even mentioned. This was before I even started watching any other sport 

But the Wizards are cool. Some family friends had season tix when i got older so I got to go to a good amount of games and I used to watch a lot of games back when I lived in the dmv.  

• Like 1

I just don't get it I guess. The internet has made the world small. I don't actually know that many Redskins fan where I live in Va outside of my family but I still feel a pretty good sense of community through this board as well as many others for other sports.

It's not hard to follow a team in today's world. As long as somebody isn't bouncing around between teams and shows loyalty/support to a team I don't care why anyone became a fan. It's completely irrelevant to any conversation.

But back to the thread

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

But I will say that of all the kids I knew growing up, MAYBE 10-15% were Wizards fans and that may be being generous. The Skins are a little better. 

DMV as a whole is just really apathetic to Wizards and it sucks. I remember going home during the IND series and been flabbergasted with how little team gear I saw out. 

But seriously can we get back to Heat/Spurs? Melogate? Lovegate? Or Dwight "To Catch a Predator" Howard? Or something? lol