Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

OK got an offer of Gore for David Wilson. Mulling it over. Is it a a good deal, a wash or a bad deal?

Probably about even. Wilson probably has more upside, but a lower floor. Where Gore doesn't have the upside, but has a higher floor. It's really preference. I think Gore is safer, but if you felt like gambling, Wilson could work out. Is it PPR?

OK got an offer of Gore for David Wilson. Mulling it over. Is it a a good deal, a wash or a bad deal?

I don't really understand the point of single-player trades at the same position.  This guy clearly thinks that David Wilson is going to be better than Frank Gore.  If you agree with him you'd be silly to do the trade.  If you disagree, he's silly for proposing it.

There's no way to know until the season is underway.  Trades where people package depth to buy a starting quality player or trade a position of depth for a position of need are much more productive, usually for both sides.  But at least they aren't a crapshoot.

I'd pass for now.

I don't really understand the point of single-player trades at the same position.  This guy clearly thinks that David Wilson is going to be better than Frank Gore.  If you agree with him you'd be silly to do the trade.  If you disagree, he's silly for proposing it.

There's no way to know until the season is underway.  Trades where people package depth to buy a starting quality player or trade a position of depth for a position of need are much more productive, usually for both sides.  But at least they aren't a crapshoot.

I'd pass for now.

I love Gore..and he's criminally underappreciated...but the only way I would do this trade is if I countered it with a 2 player per team trade..

If he proposed it, counter it where you slightly upgrade your WR3 to a WR2 or a WR2 to a WR1. Then the ball is in his court.

Probably about even. Wilson probably has more upside, but a lower floor. Where Gore doesn't have the upside, but has a higher floor. It's really preference. I think Gore is safer, but if you felt like gambling, Wilson could work out. Is it PPR?

I agree with this. Gore is a very consistent rb. Gore doesn't have as much pressure coming from his back up as Wilson does. If I had Wilson, I would probably find a spot for Brown. I do think that Wilson could potentially be a big time fantasy rb. Gore will probably give you around 1200 yds and a couple hundred receiving yards.

It's my 2nd year in a row doing one...and I still find the Yahoo Auction drafts maddening... and a heck of a lot of fun.

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, D format, standard scoring (with the caveat that throwing td's count for 6 points).

$200 to spend.

Here is how my roster broke down and $'s I spent for them. I don't have a lot of depth but I'm liking my starters. 

Starters

QB - Brees ($46)

WR Megatron ($62)

WR Eric Decker ($14)

RB Matt Forte ($50)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw ($6)

TE Fred Davis ($3)

W/R/T Steve Smith ($6)

K Kai Forbath ($1)

D St Louis ($1)

Bench

RB Montee Ball ($3)

RB Isaac Redman ($2)

QB EJ Manuel ($1)

RB Bernard Pierce ($2)

WR Kenny Britt ($3)

It's my 2nd year in a row doing one...and I still find the Yahoo Auction drafts maddening... and a heck of a lot of fun.

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, D format, standard scoring (with the caveat that throwing td's count for 6 points).

$200 to spend.

Here is how my roster broke down and $'s I spent for them. I don't have a lot of depth but I'm liking my starters. 

Starters

QB - Brees ($46)

WR Megatron ($62)

WR Eric Decker ($14)

RB Matt Forte ($50)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw ($6)

TE Fred Davis ($3)

W/R/T Steve Smith ($6)

K Kai Forbath ($1)

D St Louis ($1)

Bench

RB Montee Ball ($3)

RB Isaac Redman ($2)

QB EJ Manuel ($1)

RB Bernard Pierce ($2)

WR Kenny Britt ($3)

Wow ... Matt Forte went for $50?! Not gonna lie ... not sure I like this team EG ... I love Brees and Megatron ... but I'm not sold on Decker as a WR2 or Ahmad Bradshaw as anything more than a 4th or 5th RB. Steve Smith as a flex is also pretty weak. I hate to be negative, because who am I to really be an expert here ...

FWIW, I do like ball/Britt on your bench. Very solid low-dollar value there. Surprised Ball only went for $3!

Okay ... so I'm starting off my team with AP for $29 and Alfred Morris for $20 ... plus I sold the keeper rights of Dez Bryant for $20. So basically I am starting our league ($220 cap) with a $191 cap and the #1 and #9 projected RBs. Outside of Matt Forte, the top 12 Rbs are all being kept. We have 2 flex spots ... so I may decide to go WR heavy there ... but I think I have the luxury of grabbing someone like Maurice Jones-Drew as my RB3 then getting 2-3 RBs that could breakout.

The Question is ... who are the breakouts at RB? Every year we have 2-3 it seems. Last year we had more (Spiller, Martin, Ridley, Morris). I am talking about guys that are preseason ranked 15-30 but end the season in the top 10. Who are 3-4 guys that can do that this year? Because the way I see it ... if there are 3-4 candidates for breaking out, if I can get 2 of them, I like my chances of having that home run value coming off the bench. 

Yeah, the prices were insane in the first 5-8 or so rounds...I kept nominating mid level players when my turn came up just to see people overbid for them.  ;)

But there came a point (Forte) that I knew that I needed to make a play on a good RB...and I think Forte is still a beast. 

For what its worth (and this doesn't mean much), but Yahoo said I had the best draft in the league (it's based on projected year points)..that said, they still have me finishing 5th in the league. 

I had my first draft of the year last night, a 10 teamer with mostly Eagles fans, which was fun because many of them refuse to draft other NFC East players, leading to some value pickups.  The setup is a little different, they do 50 yards per point passing, but 6 points per TD, and rushing receiving at 15 yards per point.  Also their starting positions are modified slightly from Yahoo standards, it's QB/RB/WR/TE/DEF/K, and three spots that are designated RB/WR.

I wound up with the first pick in the draft, and went from there.  This is what I remember, it's blocked at work so I can't check to see who I forgot about.

QB: Rodgers

RB: Peterson

WR: Amendola

TE: Graham

DEF: Pittsburgh (matchup play, vs. Tennessee week 1

K: Forbath

W/R: Wayne, Nicks, Lamar Miller

BN: Eli Manning, Fred Davis, Gio Bernard, Alshon Jeffery, Kenny Britt, Kenbrell Thompkins, and one or two others I can't remember.  A.P.-Rodgers-Graham were my 1/2/3 rounders.

On another note, really looking forward to tonight, auction drafts are fun.

Need some advice.  10 team league, PPR.

My qbs are kak; Bradford, Rivers and Locker.  RBs are stacked; Spiller, Morris and Rice.

Been proposed a trade where I have some wiggle.

He'll give me Matt Stafford and Ahmad Bradshaw for a QB/RB tandem of Rivers or Locker and Morris or Rice.

I was thinking to take it for a Morris/Locker combo.  Thoughts?

My qbs are kak; Bradford, Rivers and Locker.  RBs are stacked; Spiller, Morris and Rice.

He'll give me Matt Stafford and Ahmad Bradshaw for a QB/RB tandem of Rivers or Locker and Morris or Rice.

No I wouldn't do it. Much rather have the beast RBs. Bradford could be better than some think this year.

No I wouldn't do it. Much rather have the beast RBs. Bradford could be better than some think this year.

That's two against and one for of those I've asked.  I've swayed back and forth on it.  The fact I can play 3 RBs at once makes it harder for me to pull the trigger.  I think I'm leaning towards no.

Sweet fancy Moses I had a draft. Yes, it's only an 8 team league. Yes, there were a couple idiots. Still, behold:

(PPR league)

QB- Aaron Rodgers

RB- Ray Rice

RB- CJ Spiller

WR- Randall Cobb

WR- Pierre Garçon

TE- Gronk (Martellus Bennett as backup til he's healthy. Just missed Fred Davis here.)

Flex- Darren Sproles

D/ST- Pats (vs Bills wk 1, planning on playing match ups all year)

K- Kai!

Bench includes Lamar Miller, Chris Ivory, Eric Decker, Cecil Shorts, Tavon Austin, and Eli Manning.

Ah, good old 8-teamers.

On the opposite end of the scale, I just finished a 20-teamer PPR with the option of playing a QB in your flex.

1. Cam Newton

2. Matthew Stafford

3. Pierre Garcon

4. Lamar Miller

5. Giovani Bernard

6. Kenbrell Thompkins

7. Michael Floyd

8. Danny Woodhead

9. Kendall Wright

10. Bilal Powell

11. Minnesota

12. Dwayne Allen

13. Davone Bess

14. Garrett Hartley

15. Quinton Patton

Just got done with a 10 teamer auction draft...I love auction drafts, so much fun.  $200 budget, standard scoring.

QB: Andrew Luck - $19

RB: Ray Rice - $56, Matt Forte - $44

WR: Danny Amendola - $20, Pierre Garcon - $20, Antonio Brown - $8

TE: Tony Gonzalez - $17

K: Mason Crosby - $1

DEF: Pittsburgh - $1

Bench: David Wilson - $9, and then Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffrey, and Gio Bernard all for $1.

Not bad, I'd say.

^ I just finished my first one myself about five minutes ago.  $200 budget as well.  Much more competitive, strategic, and equal.

QB Aaron Rodgers $38 (I thought this was a steal, he was averaging $43 in other leagues.)

WR Chris Givens $3 (my first nomination, trying to get someone to over bet.  I ended up getting him for $3 and am happy.  High on Givens.)

WR Julio Jones $40

RB Chris Johnson $39 

RB Darren McFadden $32

WR Antonio Brown $12

WR Hakeem Nicks $15

RB Montee Ball $7 (I think he might start with Hillman's fumble issues.  Psyched about this pick.)

TE Martellus Bennett $1

K Mike Nugent $1

RB Bryce Brown $3

WR Denarius Moore $3

DEF St. Louis

QB Andy Dalton

WR Cordarrelle Patterson $1

WR Mohamed Sanu $1

Spent all my money except one buck I think.  Ready for domination.

Had my final draft last night for my main league.  12 team PPR w/ partial pts per completion for QBs.  Start 1 WR, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF.  I had 4th overall pick.

QB Tony Romo sits to pee (5)

RB Jamaal Charles (1)

RB MJD (2)

WR Brandon Marshall (3)

WR Anquan Boldin (7)

TE Jason Witten (6)

FLX Eddie Lacy (4)

FLX Tavon Austin (8)

K Garrett Hartley (16)

DEF San Francisco (9)

Bench:  Jay Cutler (13), Ronnie Hillman (11), Bilal Powell (14), Golden Tate (10), Justin Blackmon (12), Ed Dickson (15)

Not in love with this team but I don't hate it either.  Was happy to get Charles in the first because I really wasn't expecting him to be there.  The guy ahead of me actually took my target, LeSean McCoy.  Not crazy about MJD as my #2 but 16 RBs were off the board already by the time it got back to me in round 2.  Feeling good about Lacy though.  My WR are weak outside of Marshall.  Hoping that Austin lives up to the hype this season.  I think the pick(s) that will make or break my team is the Romo sits to pee-Witten combo.  I wasn't planning on taking either of them, it just kind of happened. 

For those of you that have done both the snake style draft and auction drafts, which do you prefer?  I've never tried an auction but it seems to be the way a lot of leagues are going now and almost everything I've read says people love them.  We discussed implementing an auction next year but most of the members in my league are very hard to convince towards changing.

Say No to those offers. You'd need to get one of the top two QBs in Deals involving Morris and you'd need to get even more in deals involving Rice.

Does he have a better RB than Bradshaw to include in the offer with Stafford?

Archived