Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

CrypticVillain

I know it's only June, but it's never to early to talk about some fantasy football...

I got bored at work and decided to do a mock draft on Yahoo.

Mock Draft Pick Number is beside name

QB

Robert Griffin III 42

Ryan Tannehill 126

RB

David Wilson 43

Chris Ivory 70

Johnathan Stewart 98

Eddie Lacy 127

Willis McGahee 182

WR

Demarius Thomas 15

Gregg Jennings 71

Kendall Wright 99

Michael Floyd 154

TE

Jimmy Graham 14

Fred Davis 155

D

Washington Redkins 183

K

Kai Forbath 210

Lol I thought about making this thread earlier today. I've already done about 4-5 mocks. Seems like RBs are going reall quick the first 2 rounds. Most QBs seem to be coming off the boards around rounds 5-8. Seems like you can usually get RG3 around the 6th-7th round. Morris seems to be going late 1st/early 2nd in most.

For the first time in 23 years, I will not be a player in Fantasy Football.  Our league ended after 22 years.  We were doing Fantasy Football before it was as popular as it is now.  Most people were still doing Rotisserie Baseball.

Our first year was the 1991-92 season, the year we won our last SB.  I wanted Rypien, but someone got him before I did.  I had Warren Moon and Jim Everett.

The site I use the most for mock drafts is fantasyfootballcalculator.com. Very simple and easy to use. Plus you don't get many crazy people in there who are just making stupid picks to be annoying. And you can even save all your mocks you've done and look at all the most recently completed ones too.

I know it's only June, but it's never to early to talk about some fantasy football...

RB

David Wilson 43

Chris Ivory 70

Johnathan Stewart 98

Eddie Lacy 127

Willis McGahee 182

Not a terribly big fan of this RB crop.  None of those guys are guaranteed to see consistent reps I don't think.

RB

David Wilson 43

Chris Ivory 70

Johnathan Stewart 98

Eddie Lacy 127

Willis McGahee 182

Not a terribly big fan of this RB crop.  None of those guys are guaranteed to see consistent reps I don't think.

Yeah. It hurt me to draft these dudes. I hope I get some high picks this year. You are going to need one to get a decent running back.

RBs should be interesting this year.  I really think there will be some "later round gems".  I could see a no name RB come out of no where for 1500 and 10+ TDs just like Morris.  Personally, I do my analysis once preseason starts, I sit down and try to watch at least each team once.  You can really get a feel for poeple that look great...hence Arian Foster a few years ago. 

I have the 9th position in a 12 person snake draft league.  It will be interesting who falls to me.

I think the RB depth starts to dry up once you get past RB12-15. So if you want some solid RBs, I think you're going to have to grab them within the first 3 rounds.

WRs seem to be pretty deep. I've done a couple of mocks where Roddy White, Cruz, and Fitzgerald were all still there in the 4th rounds. That would be some great value IMO. Plus you can even get guys much later like Maclin, DJax, and even Denarius Moore in the 9th-10th rounds.

TEs also seem to be relatively deep. Yes Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, and even Tony G are definitely the elite of the group. But you can get guys like Rudolph, Finley, Cook, Pettigrew in the 8th or later. I remember in drafts last year I was getting Tony G in the 7th-9th rounds.

QBs are crazy deep. Anyone that takes a QB before the 5th is crazy IMO. I know none of us like Romo sits to pee, but as a fantasy QB he isn't half bad. He's probably the last of the QBs I'd feel comfortable with as a starter and he's usually going in the 8th-9th rounds. You could do alot worse for a QB1. I honestly could live with any of these guys as my fantasy QB this year: Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Newton, Stafford, RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, Ryan, Romo sits to pee, Eli. There's also plenty of depth too with guys like Bradford, Rivers, Dalton, Flacco, Palmer, and Tannehill. I wouldn't worry about drafting a 2nd QB unless you really wanted to.

I'm in a keeper league, where you can keep a player for 2 years.  Last year I kept LeSean McCoy.

Here are my options I've trimmed down for my player to keep:

QB - Tom Brady

RB - Doug Martin

RB - LeSean McCoy

RB - Trent Richardson

I also have the #2 pick in the draft, right now I'm thinking about keeping Doug Martin (who I can keep for 2014 as well), then trying to draft either Jamaal Charles, Morris, CJ Spiller, McCoy, or Richardson (scared of constant injuries).  

What do y'all think?

My league has a weird obsession with doing the draft before preseason or in week 1/2 (preseason). I plan on going RB rounds 1 and 2. Last year I had Doug Martin, Trent Richardson and Alfred Morris. Yeah that's not happening again. Hopefully I can get an early pick and nab Doug Martin quickly.

Just finished a mock. I'd be pretty happy with this team.

12-team PPR. I had the 12th pick

1. Alfred Morris, RB

2. Matt Forte, RB

3. Andre Johnson, WR

4. Roddy White, WR

5. Tony Gonzalez, TE

6. Jonathan Stewart, RB

7. Matt Ryan, QB

8. Josh Gordon, WR

9. Michael Bush, RB

10. Jeremy Maclin, WR

11. Ronnie Hillman, RB

12. Jared Cook, TE

13. Steelers, D

14. Sam Bradford, QB

15. Justin Tucker, K

That is a solid team. I don't know about Forte though. I had to chance to draft him in both of the mocks I did yesterday, but stayed away.

Matt Ryan is going pretty low in these drafts. But a lot of people are sleeping on Romo sits to pee. I might stack up on some RBs and WRs and try to swoop up Romo sits to pee in the 7-8th round range. 

That is a solid team. I don't know about Forte though. I had to chance to draft him in both of the mocks I did yesterday, but stayed away.

Matt Ryan is going pretty low in these drafts. But a lot of people are sleeping on Romo sits to pee. I might stack up on some RBs and WRs and try to swoop up Romo sits to pee in the 7-8th round range. 

I like Forte. Yeah he is a bit of an injury risk, but in the Bears' new offense, he should be very involved and put up good numbers. Plus taking him in the 2nd didn't seem so bad.

I've noticed most QBs outside of Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady going between the 5th-9th rounds. Romo sits to pee wouldn't be a terrible starter if you could pair him with another QB and just play the match ups every week. Not sure if I trust Romo sits to pee as an every week starter. He has some games where he'll throw for 400/4/0 and others where he'll throw 300/0/5.

I've got a question ... and I need some help. I am in a very, very nice position with my keeper league, but could use guidance either way. Try and put aside your (our) collective Redskins bias on this one! So this is the 6th year of our league but just our second year of keeper. The rules are you can keep UP TO two players from 2012. We have an auction league with 15 roster spots and a $220 cap. If you spent less than $20 on a player (or got them on waivers, etc. for free) you can keep them for a floor value of $20. If you spent more than $45 on a player, you can keep them for a maximum value of $45. If you paid between $20 and $45, the player you keep stays at that value. So your initial auction cap of $220 decreases by whatever value you decide to keep. This is a PPR league, and we start:

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/RB, W/R/T, DEF

I have four quality candidates to keep ... mainly because of their value ... this is where keeper strategy goes beyond "he's my best player, I'm keeping him." In my case, I have great players and incredible value. So here are my keeper options.

1. Adrian Peterson ... I paid $29 for him in 2012 ...so I keep him for $29. No brainer, considering his Yahoo Average auction price right now is $79.4 ... incredible value in keeping him.

2. Alfred Morris ... I traded for him, but the guy drafted him for $1 ... so I can keep him for $20. His current Yahoo Avg. auction price is $44

3. Dez Bryant ... I drafted him last year for $17 ... I can keep him for $20 ... his current average auction price is $46

4. Robert Griffin III ... I drafted him last year for $14 ... I can keep him for $20. His current auction price is $14 ... but I play in a league with 5 other Skins fans and, pre-injury, he would have gone for around $42 in our league (Cam Newton went for $42 last year). Big drop-off in our QB value after the top-5, so I could probably re-purchase RG3 (even if his cost is inflated) for less than $30.

So I keep AP ... no brainer. I think I let RG3 walk, because I am certain I can re-buy him for a decent price. Alfred Morris and Dez Bryant present the 2nd and 3rd best values for me. By keeping either guy, I likely save $20+ each, if you consider I would have to pay in the $40-50 range to re-purchase them.

Dez Bryant is projected as the #3 WR while Alfred Morris is the #11 PPR RB. Bryant is also going for more $$ on average, so it presents a better value. All that being said, I am still leaning toward Morris over Bryant, with some bias likely creeping in. FWIW, Bryant was my first ever NFC-East opponent I've ever drafted in fantasy, and he did not let me down. (I set a league record for points scored on Thanksgiving thanks to RG3, Morris and Bryant (not to mention I also had Andre Johnson and Chris Johnson).

Anyway, any guidance would be great. The fact that I can get Morris/Peterson and only get docked $49 total off my cap when it would cost me (according to Yahoo avg. so far) $124 to re-purchase them, Im in a great position. Now you may understand why I'm willing to let RG3 walk and potentially overpay for him on the open market.

If I keep Morrs/AP, I'll probably target and spend big on Jamaal Charles ... then target Andre Johnson ($29 avg.), Dwayne Bowe ($15), Pierre Garcon ($8) for my WRs and add guys like LeVeon Bell ($9) and TY Hilton ($6) for depth, etc. while trying to re-acquire RG3 ($15-30)

Edit* ... Based on Yahoo avg. I can have this roster:

QB: Robert Griffin III - $20

RB: Adrian Peterson - $29 (keeper)

RB: Jamaal Charles - $54

WR: Dez Bryant - $44

WR: Dwayne Bowe - $14

TE: Vernon Davis - $9

Flex: Alfred Morris - $20 (keeper)

Flex: Pierre Garcon - $12

BN: (RB) Montee Ball - $9

BN: (RB) Lamar Miller - $7

BN: (WR) TY Hilton - $7

BN: (TE) Antonio Gates - $4

BN: (QB) Ryan Tannehill - $1

DEF: $1

K: $1

Do you all agree I should go Alfred Morris/AP ... or should I seriously consider Dez? I also forgot to mention that I can keep Andre Johnson for $34 ... but I can probably buy him back up for around that much, so he doesn't present a lot of "net value" ... same with my TE Jimmy Graham ... would cost me $39 to keep him ... no way jose

Yo MLS...if you got any room bro, let a brotha join your leage!

Drew Brees was friggin money last year man.  Rodgers, Brady, Manning...screw all that jazz.  if you get first pick, go for Brees.  I rode him all the way to the championship.  He led the NFL in both touchdowns and passing yards last year.  I'm not asking you folks either, I'm telling you.

Chewy, I don't know if I am going to restart the old league or do a brand new one. I will let you know sir...

Do you all agree I should go Alfred Morris/AP ... or should I seriously consider Dez? I also forgot to mention that I can keep Andre Johnson for $34 ... but I can probably buy him back up for around that much, so he doesn't present a lot of "net value" ... same with my TE Jimmy Graham ... would cost me $39 to keep him ... no way jose

I'll just say this, Dez Bryant will be up and down throughout the season. He is going to have weeks when he gets you like 20+, but then follow up that week with about less than 10.

Meanwhile, Morris will probably be more consistent. Probably average about 70 yards and a TD per game. So I think you are making the right decision.

I'm still trying to figure out how I went 7-6 with RG3, Alfred Morris, AP, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Jimmy Graham and Pierre Garcon last year. But a lot of it had to do with consistency. I put up 148 in the WC playoff round but the guy that beat me got 164. Then the next week, in a consolation game, my team dropped 206 (league record) while the guy that beat me won the semi-final game with just 132. Fantasy is a **** sometimes. 

Consistency killed me though, MLS, you're right. Dez was hot down the stretch. Like scorching hot. As was Andre Johnson. But Alfred was good for at least 10-14 points per week ... very rarely did he fall below or exceed that number. He's the definition of consistent. Having him and AP would be great ... and if I use the "savings" from keeping those two and can get Jamaal Charles and RG3 ... I could care less who my WRs are. Although I'd still have sufficient funds to get a couple good ones.

It's amazing that AP is averaging a cost of $79 right now. The 2nd most expensive guy in Yahoo auctions is Arian Foster at $62. Just shows how valuable he is right now ... and I get to keep him for $29. In my eyes, saving $50 on him and about $25 by keeping Alfred for $20 gives me around $75 to play around with liberally. That could get me Jamaal Charles and Andre Johnson, along with Alf and AP for the same cost as AP and Alf if I were starting from scratch.

I'm still trying to figure out how I went 7-6 with RG3, Alfred Morris, AP, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Jimmy Graham and Pierre Garcon last year. But a lot of it had to do with consistency. I put up 148 in the WC playoff round but the guy that beat me got 164. Then the next week, in a consolation game, my team dropped 206 (league record) while the guy that beat me won the semi-final game with just 132. Fantasy is a **** sometimes. 

I started the year 1-5.  1-5... and I was scoring over 100 points most games (espn scoring) and I finished the regular season 8-5, won the division championship and then the league championship.

The **** of it was, every dude who I played had that ONE player who had his career game while I was playing them.  It was unreal.  I had a good team as well (Robert, Alfred, CJ2K, PG, J. Graham, Packers D, Kai, etc...).  Then things started to even out after my fifth loss and I didn't lose another game after that. 

7 straight to make the playoffs (sounds familiar, eh?) and then I beat my best friend for the Division and my brother in law for the Championship.

Matter of fact I got the belt in the mail just a couple of weeks ago... now I have one for my waist and one for each shoulder that I'll be wearing to our draft this summer. :)

Archived