Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: 20 NFL coaches of all time

Farbod21

Top 20 Coaches Full Story

2. Joe Gibbs -- OK, here's where you start throwing shoes. But it goes back to quarterbacks. Nobody has ever come close to doing what Gibbs did, which is win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks, none of whom are in the Hall of Fame. That's like crossing the Pacific in a Little Mermaid floatie.

#2 for Gibbs. Cant argue with that. :logo:

This is Rick Reilly's list. ESPN's list will come out one by one each day starting May 23rd.

If Tom Coughlin gets on because he won two Super Bowls with Eli Manning (and taking forever to get to the first), then I don't see how Mike doesn't get on there by winning two Super Bowls back-to-back (next to impossible) with Elway almost immediately after arriving in Denver.

Shanahan was slighted big time in my mind. Dan Reeves gets on there just for GOING to three Super Bowls with Elway. How ridiculous.

At least he got Joe Gibbs right, though.

Top 20 Coaches Full Story

#2 for Gibbs. Cant argue with that. :logo:

This is Rick Reilly's list. ESPN's list will come out one by one each day starting May 23rd.

I'm thinking from Reilly's comments that Gibbs isn't anywhere near #2 on the ESPN list. But somebody please remind me who hold much esteem for ESPN's opinion. Gibbs probably hurt by a low QBR. :doh:

A well deserved spot. Even way back when Gibbs was coaching, back when Olinemen were worth their weight in gold and runningbacks were kings, quarterbacks played a huge role.

If I remember correctly, he's one of only 3 coaches to win Superbowls with different QBs, and the only one to do it with 3. Well deserved spot.

As for Gibbs, it wasn't just 3 different starting QBs and RBs, it was, except for maybe the OL (there was certainly some change between 1982 & 1991), 3 different time periods several years apart. It wasn't like 3 in a row, or 3 in 5 years with essentially the same team but for QB and RB. It was 1982, 1987, and 1991. That's 5 and 4 year gaps. That's impressive.

Shanahan did get a little bit snubbed, maybe. I think he's right there on the border line of top 20, with a strong argument to be made for top 20. A lot of the reasons he's left out can be used against other coaches on the list.

I think if Shanahan can have a deep playoff run with RGIII, NFC championship or better, then I think he has a strong argument for top 20 all time and should appear on lists a lot more often. If he manages to win another Superbowl, I think he should be top 10 pretty consistently. Doing that would make him one of 4 coaches to win SBs with two or more QBs, and he would have done so in completely different eras on different teams.

If Tom Coughlin gets on because he won two Super Bowls with Eli Manning (and taking forever to get to the first), then I don't see how Mike doesn't get on there by winning two Super Bowls back-to-back (next to impossible) with Elway almost immediately after arriving in Denver.

Shanahan was slighted big time in my mind. Dan Reeves gets on there just for GOING to three Super Bowls with Elway. How ridiculous.

At least he got Joe Gibbs right, though.

VERY...true.

Reeves is in over Shanny??

A well deserved spot. Even way back when Gibbs was coaching, back when Olinemen were worth their weight in gold and runningbacks were kings, quarterbacks played a huge role.

If I remember correctly, he's one of only 3 coaches to win Superbowls with different QBs, and the only one to do it with 3. Well deserved spot.

QBs have always been the Kings, at least since Clark Shaugnessy first put them under center as the primary ball handler (even before then, the TB passer was king). Gibbs was one of the first to make OL more than just some guys. He was, in fact, one of the only coaches to have such high level success without a team focused on the QB.

VERY...true.

Reeves is in over Shanny??

Didn't Reeves also take the Falcons to the SB?

He may have lost the game, but I think for this writer, going to 4 SBs with two different teams/QBs is more impressive. Marv Levy made it on his list as well and never won a SB, but going to the SB 4 times in a row is impressive in itself.

IMO I think John Madden gets highly overated as a head coach. Just like George Allen, his teams typically came up short in the playoffs with the exception of one time. Great teams that could never get past the Steelers. But the AFC was so tough back then between the Steelers, Raiders and Dolphins. Maybe if the Raiders had have spent less time whining about calls then and now, they may have won more than one SB during Maddens time.

I LOVE Gibbs. LOVE Gibbs.

I don't know how you can put Gibbs in front of Shula. I honestly don't know how you don't put Shula 2. Most wins, a couple SBs and an undefeated season. Oh, and he was an under appreciated in his ability to drive change in the league and adapt to change. The 70's dolphins were a run first team, then he drafted Marino, after a pretty good season (lost SB to 'Skins), and then became a pass happy team, with Marino setting every single season passing record in existence.

Landry, Halas, Bellichick, Brown are fantastic coaches. For my money, it's

1. Lombardi

2. Shula

3. Gibbs

4. Halas

5. Bellichick.

---------- Post added May-21st-2013 at 05:01 PM ----------

Didn't Reeves also take the Falcons to the SB?

He may have lost the game, but I think for this writer, going to 4 SBs with two different teams/QBs is more impressive. Marv Levy made it on his list as well and never won a SB, but going to the SB 4 times in a row is impressive in itself.

Yes, and he played against Shanahan's (Elway's) Broncos. And lost.

I believe that he's only one of two coaches to take 2 teams to the SB, him and Holmgren. Who, btw, is an interesting omission from this list.

Shanahan being left off doesn't bother me so much. I wouldn't put Coughlin on the top 20 list. Or Jimmy Johnson. Now, if there was a list of best GMs of all time, I'd put Jimmy right up top of that list. He was a really good personnel guy. And he was a good psychologist.

But the coaches in Dallas responsible for coaching were Norv and Dave. One of the best coordinator duos of all time.

I appreciate the love and respect for Joe Gibbs. I have to admit though, I have a three way tie for Best Coach of All Time:

Walsh

Gibbs

Belichik

Walsh for his innovation, Gibbs for his preparation and gameday coaching ability, and BB for what he's been able to do in the Salary Cap era. No one is close to any of these three and that includes Lombardi.

No problems at all with the ranking. Although I feel bad for Shanny cause rarely do people confess that Elway was 0-fer before Shanahan came back. But I'd agree that he has to win one with RG III or someone else to make the list.

When Shanny does that, he'll be the first ever head coach to win it with 2 different teams, which merits an automatic placement in the top 20 IMO.

Shanahan will jump way up if he wins one here. I don't think any coach has one a superbowl with multiple teams have they??

Nope. Never happened.

I believe that Holmgren and Parcells are the only two to win one with one team and get there with another.

Archived