Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: 20 NFL coaches of all time

Farbod21

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/coachingtreeallen130607/greatest-nfl-coaches-george-allen-branch-george-halas-coaching-tree George Allen's Sphere of Influence

George Allen was a different breed.

The former Los Angeles Rams and Washington Redskins head coach was so intense that he used to eat peanut butter, milk and ice cream for meals because it allowed him more time to devote to his work. He once was fined $5,000 for trying to trade draft picks that weren't his.

His paranoia was so extreme that he became the first NFL coach to employ a full-time security director in order to prevent rivals from spying on his practices. Of course, he once dispatched a spy of his own that was discovered by the Dallas Cowboys.

There might not even be a fierce rivalry between Washington and Dallas if not for Allen. Those teams didn't really start hating each other until he memorably donned an Indian headdress to mock America's Team.

There are so many wild stories about Allen that it's easy to forget how exceptional he was at his job. He spent 12 seasons as an NFL head coach, and not once did he produce a losing record. Of the men who coached at least 100 games in the league, only John Madden and Vince Lombardi have a better regular-season winning percentage than Allen's mark of .712

Lombardi

Brown

Gibbs

Noll

Walsh

Those are top 5 LOCKS. You can argue about the order all you want. But those 5 belong there.  Landry is not ahead of any of them.  Hell Id even say Halas is a lock at 6.

What pisses me off about Gibbs at 9th is that several of the voters had Gibbs in there top 5.  Reilly had him 2nd.  That means some douchebags (Cowturd) had him 15th or lower.  What a ****ing joke!

I appreciate the love and respect for Joe Gibbs. I have to admit though, I have a three way tie for Best Coach of All Time:

Walsh

Gibbs

Belichik

Walsh for his innovation, Gibbs for his preparation and gameday coaching ability, and BB for what he's been able to do in the Salary Cap era. No one is close to any of these three and that includes Lombardi.

How does anyone not have Lombardi as the top coach.  The man took a team the Packers that hadn't won crap in years & in his 10 yrs they went to 6 championship games & won 5.  All those Hall of Famers from the Lombardi era more than likely aren't Hall of Famers if Lombardi doesn't coach the Packers.  I agree Gibbs should be 2nd on the list.  I wouldn't put Walsh in the top 5 & he certainly shouldn't be on pare with Gibbs.  I don't think the 49ers would have been as successful as they were if they would have had to have play in the NFC East & not the very soft NFC West. 

I

Tony Dungy - The man built 2 Super Bowl Champions, in different leagues, with different strengths, but only got credit for one of em

I would put Jimmy  Johnson ahead of Tony Dungy, and its not close.  Tom Flores in front of Dungy as well....

I recall reading that there was only one player who was on all 3 of Gibbs' Super Bowl teams. (And I seem to remember that that one player was a backup.)

Between #1 and #3, he almost completely replaced his entire roster.

Come on Larry, you're better than that.

Art Monk and Russ Grimm at the very least were on both

Grimm was already a backup by the 87/88 SB. He did not play in the Bills SB. Monk didn't play in the Miami SB and was only briefly used in the Denver one (injured both times). His only big SB performance was the first half against Buffalo.

Archived