Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Cutler is called "Borderline Brilliant" by Bears QB Coach

paloosa

I looked to see if this was posted but did not find anything posted. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000169383/article/jay-cutler-is-borderline-brilliant-bears-qb-coach-says

Here is what Matt Cavanaugh, Bears QB Coach said: "He's borderline football brilliant," Cavanaugh said Tuesday, via the Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei. "I think he gets it. I think he knows the game. I think he knows offensive schemes. I think he knows defenses."

The question is does anyone think Jay Cutler is Borderline Brilliant? To me I think his stats show a entirely different story.

Jay Cutlers NFL profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaycutler/2495824/profile

When I look at his stats it doesn't show me any brilliance when he throws double digit INT's. A brilliant QB who knows defenses will be better with the football than he is. Knowing offensive schemes and defenses on the chalk board doesn't mean that he will translate it onto the field. In my opinion he is a very good QB but very dangerous with ball security that prevents him from being an elite QB. What do you think?

I think Cutler gets a lot more crap than he deserves because he's kind of a douche. And most football players are douchebags, but apparently, winning means you can be an *******. Of course he wins too more than he loses too, so I don't really get why people give him so much crap.

I also think Cutler has been the one thing keeping that team afloat even though every one has to rush to give the Bears defense credit. Two years in a row he's had his team on the road to playoffs. In 2011, he got hurt, and the offense took a ****ing nose dive with Caleb Hanie (which is funny considering the very few people who suggested Hanie should've had an open competition with him follow Caleb's one good half versus the Packers in the NFC Championship game in 2010.) I think last year was actually the first real down year for him. But they did go ten and 6 and he was 10-5 and they were a Packers win away from the playoffs.

I just think stats aren't everything. It's easy to look at guys stats and say he is and isn't a good quarterback.

I also think every interception has a story and saying someone isn't brilliant (or let's just say smart) because they throw picks isn't fair. I say all the time that Rex Grossman's problem has never been understanding football, being in capable of reading defenses or being dumb, but more because he often believes he can make plays that physically he just can't. Cutler strikes me the same way; I can buy that he's a very, very smart quarterback. I think he just needs someone to reign him in thinking he can throw every single football in the world. It's not about not knowing where to go with the football; it's about thinking you have to make every play and forcing throws that you know better than.

Shanny always used to say to him "Don't make it happen, let it happen." And Cutler had his best success with Shanahan. I think if Trestmann can do the same then people will probably wind up having a different opinion of him. He's got a much better offense around him now so it's now or never, pretty much.

Cutlers problem is he has a bad attitude and a crappy offensive line. Do you think Robert would start bus tossing people and berating our offensive line on the field if he was getting punished? Doubtful. Those things do matter in the end those guys have pride too. I don't care how good someone is I wouldn't want to play with someone who points fingers at anyone but himself when the going gets tough. I understand he has that fire of wanting to win, but it burns out of control and always will hold him back IMHO.

Cutlers problem is he has a bad attitude and a crappy offensive line. Do you think Robert would start bus tossing people and berating our offensive line on the field if he was getting punished? Doubtful. Those things do matter in the end those guys have pride too. I don't care how good someone is I wouldn't want to play with someone who points fingers at anyone but himself when the going gets tough. I understand he has that fire of wanting to win, but it burns out of control and always will hold him back IMHO.

Hasn't stop Tom Brady or Peyton Manning from winning Super Bowls...

Well, I agree he's borderline...

Cutler's problem is similar to Romo sits to pee - he's a talented guy on a team where the FO has ignored the OL, and now he hears footsteps. Most of the criticisms levelled at Cutler were said about Plunkett when he was in NE.

I agree that Cutler is his own worse enemy because he does think he is Brett Favre or Tony Romo sits to pee and he can make any throw no matter how tight of a window it is. The problem with Jay Cutler is that he has never won championships at every level. He won a state championship his Senior year of high school but then choose to go to Vanderbilt. At Vandebilt he set records but never won a NCAA Championship.Now in the NFL he has done nothing to prove he is a Super Bowl caliber QB. Of course he hasn't had the best of OL's in front of him but great QB's find a way to show they are great.

Hasn't stop Tom Brady or Peyton Manning from winning Super Bowls...

I don't think ive ever seen Peyton chew someone out on the field beyond coaching them up and Brady didn't do it until he had already won a couple. You listen to a proven champion, which Cutler is not.

I don't think ive ever seen Peyton chew someone out on the field beyond coaching them up and Brady didn't do it until he had already won a couple. You listen to a proven champion, which Cutler is not.

That second one was before Peyton won a Super Bowl.

Most quarterbacks are type A personalities and, for lack of a better way of putting it, *******s.

It doesn't matter how many rings an ******* has; it still stinks.

Cutler has a top-3 arm in the league.

Figuring out when to use it is another matter. I think he believes in his arm more than he should.

But I also think he's had to carry a mediocre offense and has pressed. He's forced it because he's felt that he's had to. And he was right.

Cutler got saddled with just awful offensive personnel and coaching. Add to that the guy is just a prick. He's just not very nice.

I think the wold of Lovie Smith as a coach, but one thing he just couldn't do is find a good OC that would work with him. Don't know why. They even had to go the Mike Martz route for a while, because he was the best prooven coach they could get. Yikes.

Martz flamed out after being the OC for the Rams. Never made a good HC (even though his team did get to a SB), and everywhere he want after that, he just got his QBs killed.

Cutler got saddled with just awful offensive personnel and coaching. Add to that the guy is just a prick. He's just not very nice.

I think the wold of Lovie Smith as a coach, but one thing he just couldn't do is find a good OC that would work with him. Don't know why. They even had to go the Mike Martz route for a while, because he was the best prooven coach they could get. Yikes.

Martz flamed out after being the OC for the Rams. Never made a good HC (even though his team did get to a SB), and everywhere he want after that, he just got his QBs killed.

Marc Bulger is going to be waking up in a cold sweat at 3am for the rest of his life

I also think every interception has a story and saying someone isn't brilliant (or let's just say smart) because they throw picks isn't fair.

That 4-INT game he had against the Skins where he kept throwing them to Hall was a good example of Cutler not being "football brilliant" lol...not to mention he put his ego ahead of the team.

Cutler is a very good QB, who probably is brilliant.  There have always been 3 problems with the Bears while Cutler's been there holding him back though.

#1. No receiving weapons.

#2. The offensive line has sucked.

#3. Cutler has a bit of an attitude.

#3 is on Cutler, sure, but #1 and #2 are on the team, and that's why I can overlook his attitude somewhat (but not entirely), I imagine most people would be pissed too if your team kept ignoring A) protecting you, and B) your weapons.

Prior to 2012, when they finally opened their pocketbook and spent some draft picks for Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey, they were limping along with Earl Bennett, who's decent but not a #1, Johnny Knox, who unfortunately was injured a lot (and has now retired), and Devin Hester, who has always been a returner first and a WR second.  They've also struggled in the TE department, Olsen was good but not great.  Bennett will add a lot in terms of blocking, and was a surprisingly competent receiving threat for Eli.  Between Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett, he should FINALLY have some decent weapons.

They haven't done a ton with the OLine, adding Long should help, but they don't have a stud left tackle or anything of that caliber.  If Long plays well though then the line may improve, and that could help a ton.

If Cutler has weapons, and can stay upright, then watch out, this offense could be very very dangerous.  And if he's not always hearing footsteps or angry that he doesn't have weapons, he might mellow out a bit and #3 might resolve itself.

his OL has been terrible.

He has a ton of talent, but it often seems to me that he needs to mature. His personality seems abrasive, and I think he has a face that looks like it's sulking even if he's happy, which doesn't help.

How much of it is truly just knowing he's stuck in an unwinnable situation behind that line and how much of it pouting like a whiny diva,, I don't know.

But if they can give him some time, and I think he and Marshall can be one of the best hookups in the NFL.

~Bang

his OL has been terrible.

He has a ton of talent, but it often seems to me that he needs to mature. His personality seems abrasive, and I think he has a face that looks like it's sulking even if he's happy, which doesn't help.

How much of it is truly just knowing he's stuck in an unwinnable situation behind that line and how much of it pouting like a whiny diva,, I don't know.

But if they can give him some time, and I think he and Marshall can be one of the best hookups in the NFL.

~Bang

People say I have a face like that.

Or they'll ask "What's wrong?" and I'll say nothing and they say I look pissed about something.

Cutler's not the most charismatic dude in the world, and he doesn't play the "I'll say everything you want to hear" game that lots of quarterbacks play, which only makes media types more grumpy.

Archived