Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WMAL.com : Loaded Gun March Planned For D.C.

Ellis

Is this an NRA event?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong... this is beyond stupid. But you are seemingly jumping to a lot of conclusions on this. Pretty reactionary for a normally open-minded poster.

i doubt the NRA is going to have any problems with the event ... until the first arrest.

Considering their annual meeting was a fear-fest that had a definite anti-government undercurrent to it, i don't think there's any conclusion that would need to be jumped very far to reach, except maybe "the leadership of the NRA is a reasonable and open minded group".

An attendee at their meeting could easily come away with the notion that the people of this country are under tyrannical rule, and that arming one's self against the coming crackdown is a necessity.

~Bang

What's the point of protesting a law while at the same time complying with it? Doesn't that undermine the whole point of the protest? Which is more effective:

(a) Rosa Parks sits in the back of the bus and says mean things to the other people in the bus

(B) Rosa Parks sits in the front of the bus, gets kicked out, and then people who learn about this fact get pissed off at how unfair the law was

(sorry if I got details wrong - you get the general idea)

While I agree with the intent of the protest, the PR war was lost from the very moment the idea was thought up. That doesn't make the idea wrong, but IMO it might lead to the protest having the opposite of the intended effect. But it's obvious to me and I'm sure many others that carrying a loaded weapon is not a violent act and should not be a crime in and of itself.

Is this an NRA event?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong... this is beyond stupid. But you are seemingly jumping to a lot of conclusions on this. Pretty reactionary for a normally open-minded poster.

I usually am open to these things, and I do believe citizens should have the right to arm themselves (within reason); but I think being bombarded with "OMG DEY GONNA TAKE OUR GUUUUNZ!" from neighbors and social media has really made me really irritable toward the NRA crowd. I had to hear nonsense like this all last summer while interning at a conservative talk radio station and I really developed a hatred of it.

So, yeah, I'm sorry if I seem reactionary right now. I've just become so annoyed by all of it and a "protest" like this one just touched a nerve.

i doubt the NRA is going to have any problems with the event ... until the first arrest.

Considering their annual meeting was a fear-fest that had a definite anti-government undercurrent to it, i don't think there's any conclusion that would need to be jumped very far to reach, except maybe "the leadership of the NRA is a reasonable and open minded group".

An attendee at their meeting could easily come away with the notion that the people of this country are under tyrannical rule, and that arming one's self against the coming crackdown is a necessity.

~Bang

I'd be surprised if the NRA endorsed this event. I think this would conflict with their stance of "enforce the laws already on the books."

This kid Kokesh obviously has some issues. I'd hope that someone who has any kind of an effect on him as an authority figure should get in his ear PDQ about how stupid this is. Anyone that follows him is just asking for trouble.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 08:26 PM ----------

I usually am open to these things, and I do believe citizens should have the right to arm themselves (within reason); but I think being bombarded with "OMG DEY GONNA TAKE OUR GUUUUNZ!" from neighbors and social media has really made me really irritable toward the NRA crowd. I had to hear nonsense like this all last summer while interning at a conservative talk radio station and I really developed a hatred of it.

So, yeah, I'm sorry if I seem reactionary right now. I've just become so annoyed by all of it and a "protest" like this one just touched a nerve.

hahaha, I can't stomach any political talk radio. I listened to some for updates on the Marathon Bombing and couldn't get news. It was "this guy did this so that means we should do that" from both sides. I can appreciate where you are coming from on this, I just think throwing the NRA in there right now is a little pre-emptive. Not sure they would support this. I could be wrong and it would certainly lower my opinion of them. I haven't been overly impressed with them in a long time.

What's the point of protesting a law while at the same time complying with it?

It's certainly possible.

NAMBLA can hold a protest without molesting any children during the parade. Far as I know, the Tea Partiers didn't HAVE to break any laws, during their protests.

Now, breaking a law that you claim is unjust certainly is a tactic for protest. But I don;t think it's required.

It's certainly possible.

NAMBLA can hold a protest without molesting any children during the parade. Far as I know, the Tea Partiers didn't HAVE to break any laws, during their protests.

Now, breaking a law that you claim is unjust certainly is a tactic for protest. But I don;t think it's required.

I have to agree.

We're not only talking about bringing weapons into the District of Columbia... we are talking about parading those weapons around the very reasons that they are illegal in the District... the Capitol and the White House.

This isn't a protest, this is a borderline declaration and people will be hurt. It's stupid and it's not how you get a point across at all.

I think MLS already hit on it and he's right (no matter which side of this argument you are on)... the July 4th celebration is now tainted for families and locals within DC because this is out there. There will be armed gun men around the mall and probably on roof tops.

America indeed. Come on man.

any examples of them endorsing breaking the law?

yeah, i guess you're right. Never a more cuddly group in American history.

Besides, they're comfortably insulated here.. they don't have to endorse. No matter what happens, it will serve their agenda.

As far as laws go, i think this will probably die in permits, but as someone else alluded, they do have other marches in DC that carry with them illegal behavior... the Smoke-In, namely.

they could likely apply for a waiver for purposes of demonstration, but it will probably not be granted.

Although it might.

i have a feeling that not allowing them the permit to march with open carried weapons will serve their purpose of proclaiming a tyrannical government better than the march.

~Bang

Oh my.... What an interesting fellow.

By the way:

sancho7863 7 months ago

You wrote your own make-believe ammendment to the constitution?

We are going to see this guy in the news one day and won't be for anything positive.

O.K., this guy is an idiot. I really hope that he is the only idiot to show up. I knew I had heard of him. I cannot post the video here, but here is what he said about RGIII last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUpDhTdg4Y

Well... it appears he's become the proverbial oxymoron in what he likes to stand-up for, lol.

Maybe he should do a podcast about how Robert's father AND mother could last 20 years and retire in the military and he lasted about 15 minutes. What a loser.

Thousands of armed angry anti government types marching to the Capitol and White House?

What could possibly go wrong?

---------- Post added May-8th-2013 at 08:07 AM ----------

i was going to say,, usually an armed march on the Capital has a different name.

~Bang

Exactly.

yeah, i guess you're right. Never a more cuddly group in American history.

Besides, they're comfortably insulated here.. they don't have to endorse. No matter what happens, it will serve their agenda.

As far as laws go, i think this will probably die in permits, but as someone else alluded, they do have other marches in DC that carry with them illegal behavior... the Smoke-In, namely.

they could likely apply for a waiver for purposes of demonstration, but it will probably not be granted.

Although it might.

i have a feeling that not allowing them the permit to march with open carried weapons will serve their purpose of proclaiming a tyrannical government better than the march.

~Bang

Provided the group is well managed and responsible with how they promote it... I believe they'll get the permit.

Thing is, a lot of the verbal/written propaganda comes across as too aggressive.

Groups get permits to reenact Civil War battles all the time with ease. The only difference is, no weapons will be discharged. Not to mention the setting will be a major city rather than an open field. This guy Kokesh is a Marine. That's a respected title and I doubt "the gov't" are going to give the middle finger to a Marine who is, in his mind, defending the Constitution.

If the group kept things simple and state their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms is being chipped away, I believe they would get a permit. All permitted protests are handled respectfully in DC and rarely do things get out of hand.

This group seems to be made up of retired military members as well as the typical libertarian-right wing. Regardless of how many people think of them, they are in fact American citizens with the same rights as us. The libertarians in my area tend to be associated with law enforcement or ex-military. This is my opinion... but a group of people like that tend to get their way with things like this.

If the group fails to gain a permit to march in DC on the 4th of July, I could see the group going to a smaller scale and marching in a local city of their choosing.

I read all this BS in this thread about guns crossing state line into DC and how it's a crime and all these people will get arrested. Thing is, those stoner's at the Smoke In bring weed across state lines every year and smoke joints in broad daylight in front of DC law enforcement. Every year. I was there one year in the late 90's and it was the weirdest thing I've ever been a part of. Uneventful. Legally permitted. Laws suspended temporarily. In some years, there were arrests but it was based on breaking the rules, namely no paraphernalia like pipes are allowed.

A gun holstered on the hip or strapped across a persons back, with the safety on, and no finger on the trigger is NOT a dangerous weapon. And to play devils advocate... a stoned college kid behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle is probably far more of a public threat.

I can't see any good coming of this. If it goes peacefully and well it won't change any minds though it might make a few nervous. If any thing goes wrong or God forbid a crazy or terrorist sneaks into the march (how do you vet marchers for something like this) then it could become a major tragedy.

Provided the group is well managed and responsible with how they promote it... I believe they'll get the permit....

Have you ever been to DC on the 4th? They wont get a permit even if it was unarmed. Not to march to the capital. The mall is pretty busy with tons of people and familes that come starting at 10am for a concert and 4th of july fireworks. No one would get a permit

Have you ever been to DC on the 4th? They wont get a permit even if it was unarmed. Not to march to the capital. The mall is pretty busy with tons of people and familes that come starting at 10am for a concert and 4th of july fireworks. No one would get a permit

Hey, it's not like they're The Beach Boys, or anything.

(Really old, OT, political joke.)

Archived