Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WMAL.com : Loaded Gun March Planned For D.C.

Ellis

http://www.wmal.com/common/page.php?pt=LISTEN%3ALoaded+Gun+March+Planned+For+D.C.&id=21443&is_corp=0

Jamie Coughlin

WMAL.com

WASHINGTON--A gun rights activist is planning to lead thousands of protesters armed with loaded weapons In a march on Washington on Independence Day. They'll start at Arlington National Cemetery and cross the memorial bridge into the District, then head to the Capitol and the White House.

Adam Kokesh told WMAL his “Open Carry March on Washington” is meant to put Washington on notice. He expects thousands of supporters with loaded firearms to join him. The Facebook page for the event showed about 2,400 attending as of mid day Tuesday.

Kokesh is a 31-year-old Marine Corp veteran of the Iraq War. He’s been an outspoken advocate for U.S. withdrawal from the Middle East and northern Africa since 2007. Kokesh led a flash dance protest at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial two years ago.

He preaches freedom from tyranny on his podcast “Adam vs. The Man” – the main tenet being a right to bear arms under any circumstance. Kokesh is frustrated with the on-going gun control debate.

“We’re fed up with just living on our knees,” Kokesh told WMAL. “We’d rather stand up on our feet and exert this fundamental right.”

It’s illegal to carry a firearm in public in the District whether it’s loaded or not. Kokesh said that Washington is trampling on the Constitution by not allowing citizens to fully exercise their Second Amendment rights.

“This will point out, if nothing else, that free people aren’t welcome in the nation’s Capital,” Kokesh said.

Washington Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier says if the protesters attempt to enter the District with guns, the police will take action.

“Passing into the District of Columbia with loaded firearms is a violation of the law, and we’ll have to treat it as such,” Lanier told News Channel 8.

Kokesh told WMAL he would coordinate with local authorities, but does not plan to reach out to Lanier. He said he is willing to be arrested attempting to cross into the District with a loaded gun. He hopes instead authorities will suspend the law on Independence Day and let the protesters pass.

(Copyright 2013 by WMAL.com. All Rights Reserved.)

So a hardcore libertarian friend posted this on facebook and I felt compelled to share.

First, I don't know who the group is that is doing this.

Second, I can't say for sure that I support them because I don't know them.

But... what I will say is that I have been saying something like this must be done in D.C. on the 4th of July for quite some time. If a bunch of burnouts can get stoned all afternoon on the D.C. Mall to exercise their rights to petition the government for redress of grievances against an unjust law ...then so can gun owners.

I don't know how they'll get around the permit process and gun laws... but I definitely want to see them succeed with a march to prove that gov't is not big brother, if nothing else.

That is just about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a long time. Frankly, they can all shove their weapons up their own arses.

there will be something else inserted when they are arrested.....but maybe they already took your advice and will enjoy it.

Yeah, this will end well. It seems like that type of thing actual nut jobs are drawn to. I'm sure plenty of law abiding people will take part but what happens when they try this march and there are some actual crazies in the group who decide to pull the trigger when police attempt to prevent them from breaking the law (carrying in D.C.) ?

This could really backfire and damage the cause he's trying to promote.

http://www.wmal.com/common/page.php?pt=LISTEN%3ALoaded+Gun+March+Planned+For+D.C.&id=21443&is_corp=0

So a hardcore libertarian friend posted this on facebook and I felt compelled to share.

First, I don't know who the group is that is doing this.

Second, I can't say for sure that I support them because I don't know them.

But... what I will say is that I have been saying something like this must be done in D.C. on the 4th of July for quite some time. If a bunch of burnouts can get stoned all afternoon on the D.C. Mall to exercise their rights to petition the government for redress of grievances against an unjust law ...then so can gun owners.

I don't know how they'll get around the permit process and gun laws... but I definitely want to see them succeed with a march to prove that gov't is not big brother, if nothing else.

Great, I will not be here.

And I see disaster written all over this. Bunch of angry dudes with guns show up on National Mall, where there will be a bunch of drunk dudes in 100 degree heat.

this could be bad

This could be very, very bad. All it takes is one person to turn this "demonstration" into an all-out riot. A riot, mind you, with a bunch of angry, government hating gun nuts fully armed.

Let's hope they have more than the DCPD riot squad out there that day.

Yeah... whoever is in charge of this is just stupid. Knowingly breaking the law like this... loaded weapons in front of the Capitol and the White House?

I hope someone thinks this through a little bit better; they stil have the next two months to come up with a more constructive way to protest/celebrate their freedom.

Anyone else think the National Guard has just been put on alert?

i was going to say,, usually an armed march on the Capital has a different name.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were there.

~Bang

They didn't let the Rebs anywhere near the Capitol during the Civil War and they were just across the river. No reason why they should let this bunch get any closer than they did (if they end up doing anything).

Wow... straight to the Civil War, huh?

Wow... straight to the Civil War, huh?

627.jpg?5800

For the record, I don't usually bring it up, but I think when the new NRA President still references it as the "War of Northern Aggression" it's warranted.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2013/05/03/civil-war-war-of-northern-aggression-nra-president/

“The NRA was started, 1871, right here in New York state. It was started by some Yankee generals who didn’t like the way my southern boys had the ability to shoot in what we call the ‘War of Northern Aggression.’ Now y’all call it the Civil War, but we call it the War of Northern Aggression down South.

Archived