Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting Locked Up for Drinking an Arizona Iced Tea - Video

Dan T.

I once met a buddy after work at a 7/11. We bought Arizona Iced Teas and sat in the parking lot. 5 minutes after we got in the car, a cop pulls up and asks if we are trying to sober up or if we had alcohol in the Teas. It was around 9pm.

I said, "Nah, I just got off work and met my friend here. We're just talking for a few minutes."

The cop replied, "Well, the owner of this store said you have been here for a few hours and if you are trying to sober up, I'm gonna pull you over as soon as you leave this parking lot."

I said, "That's fine, you can do whatever you want but I'm very, very sober right now."

The cop walked away and I left a little bit after that. Nothing came of it but Arizona Iced Teas must be sketchy to cops.

And BTW, I'm a blonde-haired white kid, probably wearing a polo that night

That cop was obviously a racist too.

Sorry. But why not just let the guy read the can himself.

Why? He's not obligated to hand it over at all. It could have been a Gatorade, a water bottle, anything. I could see if the officer had a reason to be suspicious, for instance if he had clearly said something like, "I smell alcohol on your breath sir, may I check the container?" Or anything like that. But he seemed to want to start something. And I am not your average "cops are dicks" kinda guy, my girlfriend's brother is a cop and I generally see his POV on things.

You mean the city that is home to Ft Bragg (Fayettenom)? One of the largest Army posts? Why would racism play a big factor in Fayetteville, NC?

Yep. I was stationed there in Fayetteville for 4 years at Pope AFB. Not a racist town at all, compared to some other parts of the Carolinas I've been.

Still, most of the cops I dealt with while living there were jerks. I was pulled over for "speeding" one night on Bragg Blvd, and ended up sitting on the curb for 30 minutes while 5 cars showed up and a drug sniffing dog to search my car. I called my mom as soon as I was pulled over and told her that I was being pulled in a rural area with no other people around and that I wasn't drunk, and had no drugs in case they tried to plant something in my car. I showed them my military ID and told them I was on my way back to base, but they didn't give a ****. I didn't even get a ticket when it was all over.

Yep. I was stationed there in Fayetteville for 4 years at Pope AFB. Not a racist town at all, compared to some other parts of the Carolinas I've been.

I LOL'd. Saying someplace is not racist when compared to other places in the Carolinas is not really saying anything. :)

I'm not saying anything about Fayetteville, I just thought that was a funny sentence.

You REALLY think there wasn't any bias of the officer due to the man's race? Get real.
I have no idea whether racism was or was not a factor. And neither do you. All we have is this video clip. The guy that was arrested did nothing wrong in this video. The cop was a dick in this video. The cop was abusing his power in this video. The cop was not a racist in this video. He could be a card carrying member of the KKK for all we know, but in the video he is not a racist.

and ended up sitting on the curb for 30 minutes while 5 cars showed up and a drug sniffing dog to search my car.

Been there before :ols: But seriously though. My cousins brought a car from a DC police auction and I guess Maryland had it registered as a stolen car or something. I didn't get mad at them though, they were actually being nice to us and stuff.

I mean just like you have jerks who aren't police, you have some jerks who are. One of those don't let a bad apple ruin the whole bunch sort of things...

I LOL'd. Saying someplace is not racist when compared to other places in the Carolinas is not really saying anything. :)

I'm not saying anything about Fayetteville, I just thought that was a funny sentence.

LOL. I mean, Fayetteville is a big military town, a lot of minorities. But I've been to parts of SC and NC where I was really uncomfortable. I've got quite a few funny stories.

Oh yeah, one more thing, why didn't he just hand him the can? Yes, we as American Citizens do have rights, but handing him the can wouldn't have hurt. I don't know, maybe I am just a gump or something. :whoknows:

As a (probably fairly sheltered) straight-edge lower middle class white kid from CT, that's what I would have done. But I have very little experience with police and am generally an easy-going and calm person, but really this guys entire attitude would have thrown me off to the point of thinking "What the hell? Fine, here. Jesus." Then again, this guy was such a huge dick from the beginning. I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have tested the limits of my freedoms there. Guys like that are just so abrasive (or at least he was in this instance--bad day? Inexcusable either way) that it makes you WANT to deny them even reasonable requests, that you aren't technically obligated to listen to.

I am a (probably fairly sheltered) straight-edge lower middle class white kid from VA with very little experience with police and generally an easy-going and calm person. I have also just finished law school and know my 4th Amendment rights and would have told the cop to shove it. Especially if i knew it was all being videotaped.

Oh yeah, one more thing, why didn't he just hand him the can? Yes, we as American Citizens do have rights, but handing him the can wouldn't have hurt. I don't know, maybe I am just a gump or something. :whoknows:

Agreed. That's one thing that frustrates me when it comes to folks dealing with the cops. even if you've done nothing wrong, and you feel you're being harassed, you should still cooperate with police, unless they're asking you do something extremely unreasonable. Live to fight another day, hire a lawyer or something after the fact. but don't spout off, disobey, and taunt the feds....because "they got guns and ****." don't make the situation any more tense than it is and end up getting tazed or worse.

I myself am terrofied of police. I always cooperate fully, respond with "yes sir/ma'am," and never talk back.

I am a (probably fairly sheltered) straight-edge lower middle class white kid from VA with very little experience with police and generally an easy-going and calm person. I have also just finished law school and know my 4th Amendment rights and would have told the cop to shove it. Especially if i knew it was all being videotaped.

Thumbs up here.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

Agreed. That's one thing that frustrates me when it comes to folks dealing with the cops. even if you've done nothing wrong, and you feel you're being harassed, you should still cooperate with police, unless they're asking you do something extremely unreasonable. Live to fight another day, hire a lawyer or something after the fact. but don't spout off, disobey, and taunt the feds....because "they got guns and ****." don't make the situation any more tense than it is and end up getting tazed or worse.

I myself am terrofied of police. I always cooperate fully, respond with "yes sir/ma'am," and never talk back.

I'm not sure there's anything to "cooperate" with, he wasn't really making a reasonable request. He had no right to demand anything from that guy.

The fact that you say this is because you're "terrified " of them is part of the problem. We shouldn't have to think that way (not that everyone does, or should, and not that everyone who does has good reason to).

Not that I disagree, I do the same in terms of "yes sir/officer, no sir/officer" and not talking back.

I think the fact that most people WILL do anything a police officer tells them to do, because they are terrified or just because humans tend to follow direction, feeds the cop's feelings that they can overstep their bounds and bully people. So they do. It is self perpetuating.

Agreed. This cops behavior was completely out of line. Replaying this back: a stranger approaches me and asks me what I'm drinking. He then proceeds to reach out and try to grab the can out of my hand. The cop is really lucky he didn't get punched in the face.

I think the rapper played the whole thing pretty coolly...

Why? He's not obligated to hand it over at all. It could have been a Gatorade, a water bottle, anything. I could see if the officer had a reason to be suspicious, for instance if he had clearly said something like, "I smell alcohol on your breath sir, may I check the container?" Or anything like that. But he seemed to want to start something. And I am not your average "cops are dicks" kinda guy, my girlfriend's brother is a cop and I generally see his POV on things.

Because why not?

Give the guy the can, let him read it or sniff it. Be respectful in doing so, he realizes he's wrong.

Situation over.

If it were me, I would just hand over the can. I'd rather get on with my night than make a political statement. Even if I'm in the right.

But if I wanted to not hand over the can, and it escalated as it did, I probably would have chosen to ask my friend to call 911. I would have said something like: "you're so out of line that this doesn't add up. I don't believe that you're a real officer and I am worried that complying with you will put me in danger. I'd like to get some uniformed police here before this goes any further".

To all the people saying " why didn't he just hand over the can" this cop never really showed any type of identification. The only time he shows it is when he barely opens his jacket and even then you can't even see it clearly. Even when the guy ask who he is the cop responds with "I'm the PO lice". He was being dick because he was wrong and didn't want to admit it.

Archived