Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting Locked Up for Drinking an Arizona Iced Tea - Video

Dan T.

I don't care what people say...the cop in that vid was flat out racist and needs to be fired. Vid says it all.

Would you say the same thing if the cop was black? What if iced tea guy was white? He was a horrible cop who acted completely unprofessional, but there's nothing to indicate he was racist. Not saying he ISN'T, but you can't come to that conclusion with just one video.

Not defending the cop at all as he clearly overstepped his bounds but we did have probable cause to approach the individual. He was loitering in a liquor store parking lot filming something, drinking something. I don't understand why people feel the need to question why a Cop is doing their job and furthermore disobey their requests. BTW, he pretty much acted like Reese Witherspoon, only Witherspoon was drunk. Just do what the offier requests of you and if you are truly doing nothing wrong, everything will be fine.

Not defending the cop at all as he clearly overstepped his bounds but we did have probable cause to approach the individual. He was loitering in a liquor store parking lot filming something, drinking something. I don't understand why people feel the need to question why a Cop is doing their job and furthermore disobey their requests. BTW, he pretty much acted like Reese Witherspoon, only Witherspoon was drunk. Just do what the offier requests of you and if you are truly doing nothing wrong, everything will be fine.

The cop didn't show a badge. All the guy knew was that a strange dude claiming to be a cop walked up on him and started being an ass. As soon as the guy showed the cop what he was drinking and explained that he was waiting for a friend, that should have been the end of it.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

And you would also know that if you are on private property and asked to leave, you have to leave.

I am not a fan of what was done, but it was private property and the dude refused to leave which is why he was ultimately cuffed. Not for the tea and lemonade.

Only if the proprietor of the property asked that he leave, which we have no evidence of. A cop can't just come up to a random guy on property he doesn't own and tell him to leave.

The cop didn't show a badge. All the guy knew was that a strange dude claiming to be a cop walked up on him and started being an ass. As soon as the guy showed the cop what he was drinking and explained that he was waiting for a friend, that should have been the end of it.

Period.

Bad showing from the supposed officer.

No. If you are doing nothing wrong, the cop shouldn't approach you to begin with. Just because an officer asks you to do something, you don't have to comply. And that's why cops think they can get away with more than they should be allowed.

When exactly did we as a people agree that cops were allowed to order us around without cause and that a lack of obedience constituted a crime? We must have been hungover that day.

Although not exclusively the origin, I have to believe the drug war has turned cops into our enemies, in many cases. Look at all the cases (Otto Zehm in Spokane) where someone is literally NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG and gets a knee on their chest and dies or is beaten to death (like the guy in California...both white guys, by the way.)

Only if the proprietor of the property asked that he leave, which we have no evidence of. A cop can't just come up to a random guy on property he doesn't own and tell him to leave.

My take on the video is the guy was working for the proprietor and was doing what the proprietor wanted. That is why he had to call the police.

My take on the video is the guy was working for the proprietor and was doing what the proprietor wanted. That is why he had to call the police.

Except he didn't frame it that way. He initiated contact by demanding to know what the guy was drinking. He wanted to hold it. He wanted to smell it. He got upset when he didn't get his way. He didn't say, "look guys, the owner is requesting you leave. I'm a cop, here's my badge, if you don't, you'll be under arrest."

Except he didn't frame it that way. He initiated contact by demanding to know what the guy was drinking. He wanted to hold it. He wanted to smell it. He got upset when he didn't get his way. He didn't say, "look guys, the owner is requesting you leave. I'm a cop, here's my badge, if you don't, you'll be under arrest."

Not saying he handled it well. There is a LOT of context missing from the video. I could provide what I think the context is which might explain it, but have no real knowledge.

Maybe he was, but he didn't present himself as working for the proprietor when he tried to snatch the can out of the guys hand. He also didn't present himself that way when he initially approached the guy and asked him what was in the can.

The rapper had no reason to let him sniff or grab the can as he had no idea who he was.

Not saying he handled it well. There is a LOT of context missing from the video. I could provide what I think the context is which might explain it, but have no real knowledge.

Agreed. it's a heavily edited video.

This racist needs to be fired. Scary that he has 1) power from the shield 2) a firearm.

Unreal SMH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_zehm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting (the old woman murdered by narcs, then the situation covered up by those same cops...who were black.)

I can keep going. While race absolutely a factor in many situations, the problem is cops. Hell, sometimes t

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 09:19 AM ----------

Very seldom do I feel like I'm one of the most informed people on Extremeskins.com, but when it comes to talking about dealing/talking about jerkoff city cops, and talking about "life in the inner city,"

From my wanderings and conversations, it seems small town cops can be, and often are, just as bad or worse. This isn't to say every town but I've heard a lot about the things small town, small-city cops do.

Vid had nothing to do with racism. You saw a cop being a jerkoff and abusing his power, but nothing in that video even suggested racism. You want to know how I know that? The uniformed officer who came as backup was black, and he went ahead and put the kid in his car. If that plainclothes was racist, you would think that the backup wouldn't have gone along with it so easily. Cops like that guy would abuse their power to anyone.

Do you know of how much racism/corruption that happens in some of these police forces? Just because the uniformed officer was black, doesn't mean anything.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 10:22 AM ----------

Would you say the same thing if the cop was black? What if iced tea guy was white? He was a horrible cop who acted completely unprofessional, but there's nothing to indicate he was racist. Not saying he ISN'T, but you can't come to that conclusion with just one video.

There are a lot of self-hating people in this world...some of which carry a badge.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 10:24 AM ----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_zehm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting (the old woman murdered by narcs, then the situation covered up by those same cops...who were black.)

I can keep going. While race absolutely a factor in many situations, the problem is cops. Hell, sometimes t

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 09:19 AM ----------

From my wanderings and conversations, it seems small town cops can be, and often are, just as bad or worse. This isn't to say every town but I've heard a lot about the things small town, small-city cops do.

I think race was 100% a factor in this situation. We can go back and forth on this all day...but we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Nothing is going to change my mind on this.

Do you know of how much racism/corruption that happens in some of these police forces? Just because the uniformed officer was black, doesn't mean anything.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 10:22 AM ----------

There are a lot of self-hating people in this world...some of which carry a badge.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2013 at 10:24 AM ----------

I think race was 100% a factor in this situation. We can go back and forth on this all day...but we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Nothing is going to change my mind on this.

You have absolutely no evidence that racism was involved. I know how some police forces can be corrupt, but again, there's no proof that this one is. All you have is this one video, of a cop being an ass.

At least you keep an open mind.

I used to believe all the nonsense arguments about how being nice and polite with a cop was all you needed to not get that treatment. Then I had an african-american coworker tell me a story from his youth. He was 16 years old and borrowed his dad's car to take a girl out on a date. They were both dressed decently, and a police officer pulled him over for whatever reason. In my experience they might run the plates, check your license for priors, MAYBE give you a ticket and you'd be on your way. In his situation, they insisted he'd stolen the car, pulled him out and frisked him (in plain view of everyone driving by in his hometown), ran the plates (obviously the car wasn't stolen), and then insisted on thoroughly searching the entire car for drugs.

Of course they let him go after the hour-long ordeal, so its all good, right? He about the typical person you'd work with in a corporate office, but yeah-- I guess there was something suspicious about him that evening.

The hardest part is that because a good portion of the population never goes through that experience, we tell ourselves that the people who have been through that must've acted in a certain way to deserve that treatment.

The elapsed time between when the plainclothes man shows his police badge (2:11) to when he puts his hands on Beatty (2:14) to apprehend him = 3 seconds.

---

I will say, though, that in re-watching the video, there is definitely an anticipatory air at the very beginning. My sense is that Beatty and the cameraman know something is going to go down... as if there's some history there.

I will say, though, that in re-watching the video, there is definitely an anticipatory air at the very beginning. My sense is that Beatty and the cameraman know something is going to go down... as if there's some history there.

Possibly. Did anyone else find it weird that someone was there videotaping after they parked and got out of their cars? Who just starts randomly videotaping something so mundane and monotonous (hey, let me film my buddy getting out of his car and drinking an ice tea...it will be hilarious!!) unless you anticipate something more is about to happen?

Possibly. Did anyone else find it weird that someone was there videotaping after they parked and got out of their cars? Who just starts randomly videotaping something so mundane and monotonous (hey, let me film my buddy getting out of his car and drinking an ice tea...it will be hilarious!!) unless you anticipate something more is about to happen?

People randomly video stuff all the time these days for not reason at all. I'm not sure what some of you are implying by suggesting that these guys are anticipating something more, but what happened is 100% the fault of the cop. These guys did nothing wrong and he was right not to hand over his drink. Hopefully the charges are dropped quickly and the cop gets in trouble.

Oh yeah, my first thought was that this cop is a racist. There nothing in the video to suggest he is except for the part where he is harassing a black guy for absolutely NO reason.

If that cop is not fired then there is not justice. The guy should be able to sue the cop on personal basis then maybe the power hungry cops will think twice before they play God

I have had that happen to me before,they ended up searching the car for alcohol. I was drinking a coke.What pissed me off they search my car and leave everything the street. I had a choice of letting them search or being run in for obstruction. This happened in California in 69. I can see somethings never change

Oh yeah, my first thought was that this cop is a racist. There nothing in the video to suggest he is except for the part where he is harassing a black guy for absolutely NO reason.

Cops harrass people of any color for absolutely no reason. Just go to youtube and do a search for "Open carry harrassment".

Harrassing someone doesn't make him a racist. The cop was definitely out of line though. There could be reasonable suspicion with the guy in the parking lot of the ABC store with a 24 oz drink in his hand, but as soon as he showed him it was an Arizona, he should have left him alone.

Cops harrass people of any color for absolutely no reason. Just go to youtube and do a search for "Open carry harrassment".

but as soon as he showed him it was an Arizona, he should have left him alone.

Just as you have your opinion about what happened, I have my opinion about it based on the video. The reason for my opinion is based on "but as soon as he showed him it was an Arizona, he should have left him alone."

Just as you have your opinion about what happened, I have my opinion about it based on the video. The reason for my opinion is based on "but as soon as he showed him it was an Arizona, he should have left him alone."

As soon as cops see a person who is open carrying not doing anything illegal they should leave them alone too, but it doesn't happen, and it doesn't make them racist...

As soon as cops see a person who is open carrying not doing anything illegal they should leave them alone too, but it doesn't happen, and it doesn't make them racist...

Doesn't mean the guys not a racist in this case. At this point we are both just speculating on the cops motivation for taking it as far as he did. I don't take lightly when anyone is accused of being a racist. It's just the first thing I thought when watching the video.

my bad fellas. when I hear "half and half," I'm thinking this....

http://www.cherokeedistributing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Twisted-Half-and-Half-1.jpg

oh and by the way....some people asked me why I'm "terrorfied" of the police. I grew up as a child seeing police push us around. I would be hanging with friends on the corner of 16th and Rosedale Northeast DC (behind hechinger mall for people that are familiar with the city). The police would ride up in front of my friends house, turn on the sirens, hit the lights, and talk trash to us. On my mother's life I swear, the DC police would pull their car up in front of my friends house and ask us stuff like "I wanna lock you up, I can't wait to catch you slippin'. I'm gonna be there when you do. You're going to jail for 25 years." A lot of you have no idea what that is like.

Very seldom do I feel like I'm one of the most informed people on Extremeskins.com, but when it comes to talking about dealing/talking about jerkoff city cops, and talking about "life in the inner city," I'd venture to say I'm one of the most qualified....

so for people to say "there's no reason to be afraid of police," all I have to say to that is....you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what's its like in the city....and I'm not trying to be a smartass when I say that....

That is such a terrible vicious circle. THe police should be your most precious commodity, your lifeline and security blanket, PARTICULARLY if you live in the city, realatively near to very dicey areas.

instead, the police often view it almost like an enemy territory occupation, like it is the Helmund province of Afghanistan, or something. And at teh same time the local community views the police, to some extent, as the enemy.... both of those feed on each other---- reinforce and harden the bad blood on the "other side".

there is nobody more important to our society that a good cop. Period. There is nothing that undermines good cop more than bad cops, period. :(

Archived