Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

It seems like several in the media do not share fanbase enthusiasm. Sporting News gives the Redskins a D and cnnsi.com gives a C+

Laughable, but we are gonna have the last laugh, even marginal upgrade in our secondary last year and the results are very different, and I believe this crop of rooks are going to give us more than marginal improvement.

I would like to highlight a key quality that Shanahan and Allen exhibited in this year's off-season -- patience. When they needed to react quickly, they did -- but oftentimes, they were patient enought to let things fall into place, and made some very effective signings because of that. As you see, they were also patient in the draft for Thomas and Rambo.

Another key point is that they continue to build quality depth so that when veterans retire, or become free agents -- the Skins have someone decent to step in. In a few years, the Skins may be able to actually TRADE players, because the other teams see value in the Skins player, and the Skins FO has someone almost as good waiting in the wings.

All this takes time and patience -- and frankly, the owner -- Dan Snyder -- deserves some credit too. He really seems to be comfortable with his FO team, and willing to let them work unhindered. (Contrast that with Jerry Jones or Al Davis).

That said, the one thing that Snyder still needs to do now -- is to continue to upgrade the facilities and staff that support his football operation. FedEx Field turf, , equipment managers/staff , strength adn training coaches/facilities, and especially the medical staff all still need upgrading -- at least to match up with the high-quality team that Shanahan/Allen are building.

I think people have the wrong idea about Bruce Allen's role in the organization. He's "GM", but he's not picking players. He's more on the operational end of things -- negotiations, PR, getting training camp facilities set up, etc. This draft is all Shanahan, the coaching staff, and the scouts.

I think one of the most important things is that our FO understands the pulse of the league. The days of dominant, shut down defenses are over imho. What you want are pass rushers and play makers. You can't shut down elite NFL offenses anymore. Just look at the scores in last year's playoffs. What you want is a defense that has the ability to make game changing plays. And we are most definitely making a concerted effort to add game changing play makers to this roster. This was a high risk draft to be sure. But the potential payoff is well worth that risk imo.

2nd round--CB David Amerson

3rd round--TE Jordan Reed

4th round--FS Philip Thomas

5th round--RB Chris Thompson

5th round--OLB Brandon Jenkins

6th round--S Bacarri Rambo

7th round--RB Jawan Jamison

Im VERY pleased with the overall haul of this year's draft picks. At first I was underwhelmed with the pick of David Amerson in the 2nd round (admittedly hoping they would have grabbed DJ Swearinger with this pick).

However, after reading up on him and understanding what was becoming the apparent (and smart, IMO) strategy of this year's draft--bringing guys who have high ceilings but also come with some risk of one form or another (coaching issues in the case of Amerson and Thomas, inexperience in the case of Reed, injury concerns in the cases of Thompson, Jenkins and Jamison, character concerns involving Rambo) I believe this draft class has the potential to not only fill this team's current needs, but position them for the future as well.

I read a term used by someone writing about their impressions of this draft for the Redskins in a rather casual manner but it struck a cord with me because it isn't one I have heard used in relation to this team in over 20 years--"Perennial Contender".

That term is reserved for only GOOD teams. Teams that have a GREAT outlook moving forward because of the smart decisions made by their front office. And I agree that this team does. I mean, how can you not with a QB like RG3 leading it? But what excites me is how this Management/Coaching staff has assembled this team over the last 3 years to position the Redskins as on that will perennially contend for years to come. That is something to be impressed with. HTTR!

I felt absolutely entralled when the draft was completed. We got all the pieces needed to assemble a formidable if not less than respectable secondary. We know we drafted the pieces to shore up the back end. Add two dynamic pieces in the scat back and TE for RGIII to play with. RGIII dancing around at a draft party. Rak 100% and Carriker on track to be ready wk 1. Shanallen has established a foundation for the organization. We're at the point where we're able to add specifics. I loved it.

Even without hindsight, Cousins would have been the first QB off the board.

totally agree...better than any QB in this draft if you ask me. I reserve the right, however, to change my mind should any of the rooks crush it this year...LOL!

Loved this FO since day one. They've been brilliant. They rarely make mistakes and, when they do, they fix it right away.

Yep, agree 100%. Mcnabb experiment namely

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 11:39 PM ----------

Kirk Cousins was the one that got the most heat and that seems like it's working out well at the moment. What round would Kirk have gone in this draft if the other teams knew what they know now.

Kirk cousins is the 4th best QB taken in the draft last year, behind RG3 luck and wilson. If he was in the 2013 draft he probably would have gone first round.

This was a very good draft. Some who screamed for OL don't realize our line had a good year last year (best rushing attack in NFL) and lots of continuity. One weakness was secondary, and now it is a strength.

Amerson should be able to be coached up and will push out Wilson by mid year for starting CB role or NB at worst. He and Biggers could make for a "Seattle like" tandem. Hall would be NB.

Thomas looks like he could start from day one.

I live in GA and can't believe we got Rambo in the 6th. That kid was one of the 3 leaders of a very good UGA defense with many NFL prospects. Mark Richt is very strict, I am not worried about Rambo at the next level. He will be too good to keep off the field and will start opposite Thomas.

Everybody is wondering about the TE selection, he's Davis' replacement, or at the worst a good complement.

The OLB Jenkins is another high ceiling pick that could look like a steal in the future.

And the RB's? He got a change of pace Florida State back, sure there are durability questions but as a 5th rounder it's a good pick. And the end of the draft RB is Morris like and may be practice squad material but adds depth.

All in all very solid, this is the way teams that are good stay good.

Kirk Cousins was the one that got the most heat and that seems like it's working out well at the moment. What round would Kirk have gone in this draft if the other teams knew what they know now.

Word was he would have been a 1st rd pick.

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 08:38 AM ----------

Considering what Shanny had to work with when he came on board, and taking a look after this draft, we went from needing an absolute rebuild from top to bottom, to as of right now beginning to build some very talented depth, next season we get cap relief, I think we will put the finishing touches on the rebuild with 1 more big time WR in free agency, possibly a RT, and draft the rest. We are on our way to elite status in the NFL!

I loved, loved, loved this draft for the same reason said by so many others: we swung for the fences with every pick.

The 2010-11 drafts emphasized reliability over potential with pretty much every pick but Williams. In 2012 we mixed things up a little as we were more apt to take undervalued but high-potential guys who had fallen in our laps, like Cousins and Morris. Then in 2013, we figured we had enough reliability, and committed to drafting potential superstars.

Almost every guy we took this year had a higher grade on our draft board compared to where he was ultimately taken. Almost every guy made the front office think, "I can't believe he's still available!" That's how you build a championship team through the draft. The future isn't built just around high-round picks, serviceable starters, and quality depth. It's also built on undervalued guys taken in later rounds, but for whom the sky is the limit.

Even if just three of the seven picks this year live up to their potential, I'd call that a great draft, especially considering we didn't have a first round pick. Even that scenario likely means we got an outstanding defensive back and another outstanding running back.

Man, this place is so much easier to read around since the pros took over :ols:

I try to see things in a wider context, the FO took a lot of heat the last couple years because things weren't happening fast enough for some fans, but the draft this year is clearly evolutionary, it was made possible by all the difficult foundation building that came before. People need to keep that in mind during the season, this is still very much a work in progress, but you can clearly see a consistent plan being instituted. I still say the fanbase needs to up their game as much as the team has.

I don't want to be a downer and I don't want to get "blasted" for this, but.....

There were a couple of picks (3) that had severe injuries and one with a drug suspension.

Are the injuries well healed and do we need another possible drug suspension?

I like the areas they addressed, but were these the best choices at their picks?

I don't want to be a downer and I don't want to get "blasted" for this, but.....

There were a couple of picks (3) that had severe injuries and one with a drug suspension.

I like the areas they addressed, but were these the best choices at their picks?

Interesting, I was just thinking to myself "thank goodness for mj, it allows guys like Rambo to fall to us in the 6th"

I guess we'll see. Take a guy like Trent Williams or Fred Davis-- no red flags coming out of college but they get 3 violations upon entering the NFL. You never know, and maybe there's something to be said for learning from your mistakes early on.

I think that a lack of talent is what fails 99.999% of players that hope to make it in the NFL. The other .001% is MJ. So, I think you take the guy with talent.

Though I don't disagree necessarily with your opinion, it's a valid one

I understand why some might be a tad hesitant to embrace these guys wholeheartedly, but the answers to your questions have pretty much already been aired here.

For us, right now, in the context of the current roster and coaching staff, considering our divisional opponents and where they stand, and particularly factoring in where we want to go, these picks all made sense, many people feel that a lot were of phenomenal value. Medical issues were explored and taken into account, Rambo's weed issue should not be a problem unless he is a total dumbass, etc.

Right now no one can say anything with absolute assurance, we won't know anything 'til camps happen, but the signs sure look promising and the FO has earned the benefit of the doubt. What more can you ask in April?

And those Zorn years were a blessing in disguise!

I was talking to a Cowboys fan friend of mine last night -- I called Jim Zorn one of the greatest coaches in Redskins history for one reason: He was finally bad enough to get rid of Vinny Cerrato once and for all!

Shanahan's vision has never been for just the upcoming season. If guys like Thompson or Jenkins can't contribute until their 2nd and 3rd year due to still recovering from injuries, I think Shanny's more than fine with that. Because when they DO come back fully healthy, holy crap lol :ols:...I'm sorry, but a fully healthy Chris Thompson is gonna be an absolute nightmare for D-Coordinators in this system and with RG3 behind center. That's worth drafting now even if you have to wait a year before he hits the field.

Archived