Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

Irown & Williams are projected to start for the defending SB Champions, who also happen to be one of the favorites to win next year.

...Heh...

1.) The Ravens are the favorites to win the Super Bowl next year? Says who?

2.) IF Arthur Brown starts --- and it's still a big if --- he'll be starting more because he has to than anything. Additionally, Brown and Williams have far more in front of them on the depth chart than either one of those guys. If we'd selected Brown, he'd be fighting for playing time behind London and Perry, Keenan Robinson, Bryan Kehl, and Rodderick Muckleroy. If we drafted Williams (who I was a fan of) he'd be put into the rotation of our d-line, which is probably the deepest position we have on our team.

Thought it was interesting that we have not invited [to my knowledge] a Safety UDFA to camp on May 3rd of the 25 that have tryouts. Speaks volumes for our draft.

I think the FO has done a great job of addressing need not only in the draft but in FA as much as they could. The roster is much deeper at RT whether some see that or not, there are former starters there that may present risk, but certainly offer opportunity for the team to upgrade not only the starter but the depth. Corner and Safety have both been addressed with new faces. I am confident with the way the team is selecting players that some are going to pan out, I doubt all do, but every year can't be like last year. I also knew going in Mike could not resist an opportunity or two to upgrade Almo's back up with a change of pace guy. He took two chances to do that. And then there is Jenkins who when on was a beast as a Junior. Down the road it could easily be the firm of Jenkins and Jenkins. This is what happens when you have a FO team drafting two to three years down the road.

As for Bruce and his role, it is unknown how much he has to do with the draft or if he has any part of it at all. I was speaking more for the overall tone and professionalism that Bruce has in his role and how he has gelled with Mike to craft a team that reminds me of the one under JKC, Bethard and Gibbs. WE have a team running the team. So, Hats off to you gentlemen.

Brown & Williams are projected to start for the defending SB Champions, who also happen to be one of the favorites to win next year.

I don't see the Ravens as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl next year, I thought they were lucky to win it last year but credit to them for doing so. I doubt they catch lightening in a bottle twice in a row especially after letting/having a lot of the older talent who were key starters and around which they built that success last year on walk and/or retire.

This is what happens when you have a FO team drafting two to three years down the road.

Absolutely, and this is possible only because of all the hard work the did addressing a lot of elements that fans find booorrrring- roster depth, contracts, general attitudes and atmosphere. They have greatly improved the "workplace" for their players. I can't help but think back to the arguments that raged here about moves they made, the short-attention span faction railed against this FO for not fielding a SB contender the first year, but it is clear now that they had a solid "big picture" plan for renovating the franchise, they were right, it's working, there ain't enough crow in North America to go around.

As for Bruce and his role, it is unknown how much he has to do with the draft or if he has any part of it at all. I was speaking more for the overall tone and professionalism that Bruce has in his role and how he has gelled with Mike to craft a team that reminds me of the one under JKC, Bethard and Gibbs. WE have a team running the team. So, Hats off to you gentlemen.

I am a HUGE fan of the job that Bruce Allen has done for us already! "Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how to get it" attitude that has managed the business end of things like a maestro, even a lot of his actions that have been casually dismissed as mere PR to mollify the fans have deeper import, the players on this team have pride that wasn't there before, are motivated in ways that they never were under Vinnie, you don't see the glut of snarky articles mentioning the Skins every time a FA goes on the market. He was insultingly written off as Shanahan's lapdog when he arrived, a trip through the archives will turn up quite a bit of malicious condescension directed at him, but I honestly do not know what he could have done better. His dad would proud.

I can't help but think back to the arguments that raged here about moves they made, the short-attention span faction railed against this FO for not fielding a SB contender the first year, but it is clear now that they had a solid "big picture" plan for renovating the franchise, they were right, it's working, there ain't enough crow in North America to go around.

I am a HUGE fan of the job that Bruce Allen has done for us already! "Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how to get it" attitude that has managed the business end of things like a maestro, even a lot of his actions that have been casually dismissed as mere PR to mollify the fans have deeper import, the players on this team have pride that wasn't there before, are motivated in ways that they never were under Vinnie, you don't see the glut of snarky articles mentioning the Skins every time a FA goes on the market. He was insultingly written off as Shanahan's lapdog when he arrived, a trip through the archives will turn up quite a bit of malicious condescension directed at him, but I honestly do not know what he could have done better. His dad would proud.

I think they really tried to gamble and lost with McNabb as an effort to use what was in place while figuring out the gameplan for the future.

Absolutely agree Bruce is under-rated as a GM here in Washington. In Tampa many fans were dismayed not by Bruce but by the ownership of Glazers and how they ran the team. First firing Dungy, then Bruce and co. giving control to Gruden for players, six QB camps were the norm under him. I also think this was the downfall of Raheem in Tampa, ownership not the actual coach.

• 3 weeks later...

The right men at the right time, who else could have done so much with so little, even when at a disadvantage.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/skins-salary-cap-silver-lining

By Chase Hughes

In rebuilding the Redskins over the past three seasons, Mike Shanahan and Co. have done many things right. They have their quarterback, a nucleus of young talent around him, and have straightened out the team’s salary situation after years of overspending. Coming off a year they won their division, the Redskins now have money in theory, they just can’t spend it.

This predicament inspired the team to fight the league over the league-enforced cap penalties, if given the choice they would of course do without them. But in the long run, could they be seen as a blessing in disguise? If the Redskins are able to be competitive in 2013, they could set themselves up for the next few years with a good team that sits way under budget.

The Redskins will have to endure one more year doing things on the cheap, relying mostly on young and inexpensive players. For example, instead of attacking their secondary through free agency this year, they had no choice but to utilize the draft.

When Mike Shanahan was first selected to be the head coach of the Redskins I had my reservations, all those reservations but one are gone and I am in amazement what the team of Shanahan and Allen have produced here. My one beef with Mike is that he left RGIII in the conferece playoffs with Seattle after the second offensive series. For some reason Shanahan has a cavalier attitude when it comes to what's best for the players health, he did it in Denver and he is doing it here. Had Cousins been sent in we would have won that game and put about 35 points on those thugs.

Personally I was just glad to get rid of Cerrato!

But was estatic when this team was brought together and my only concern has been Shanahan's lacky Bob Slowick. For some reason there is a bond, but as long as this team continues to improve and or not sink to the bottom of the NFCE again I'll be happy. I was just thinking the other day how awesome is it that we have a real decent GM now and a bonified HC and how the cards came together for us to pick up his son Kyle who to be honest will go down in history as the first person to blend/bond the NFL style system with the college option/spread style of game. Perhaps most pundits are expecting it to fizzle out, but if it does not you can bet he will be mentioned 10 yrs from now like Joe Gibbs has been talked about and how he changed football.

We are living a new era of football, witnessing progress in motion. 10 yrs from now the Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers and the few other teams that ran the spread/option plays will be talked about as innovators. I thank D.Snyder for doing the right thing and making changes, I thank our front office for turning this team around, and I think the coaching staff for willing to take a different approach instead of just being safe.

When Mike Shanahan was first selected to be the head coach of the Redskins I had my reservations, all those reservations but one are gone and I am in amazement what the team of Shanahan and Allen have produced here. My one beef with Mike is that he left RGIII in the conferece playoffs with Seattle after the second offensive series. For some reason Shanahan has a cavalier attitude when it comes to what's best for the players health, he did it in Denver and he is doing it here. Had Cousins been sent in we would have won that game and put about 35 points on those thugs.

If you take Cousins at his word, Shanahan had anything BUT a "cavalier attitude" towards RG3's health and staying in the game against Seattle.

Its funny how some people thought building a team; acquiring depth through the draft and developing players wasn't thea proper way to make a good team. Now that someone who knows how to do that is here it makes one realize how backwards the organization was the last decade.

Its funny how some people thought building a team; acquiring depth through the draft and developing players wasn't thea proper way to make a good team. Now that someone who knows how to do that is here it makes one realize how backwards the organization was the last decade.

On the flip side, I don't have much to post about knowing we have people in charge who get it!:thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

A blast from the past. I feel like I should apologize for this, but I just had to bump this fellas, after I stumbled upon it when I was googling to find a recent Bruce Allen quote. I think it's pretty interesting to look at how we viewed the draft last year in comparison. One of the rare occasions where ES had a consensus of satisfaction.   

I'm not going to lie... reading through this thread caused my eyes to water a bit out of sadness. Brings the shock of 2013 back. :(

Hey, we still have the hope that guys like Thomas, Rambo, Chris Thompson and Brandon Jenkins pan out. It could still end up being a great draft. 

Sadly, some are still delusional and are having some of the positive optimistic responses to this year's draft even after a 3-13 season.  We swing and miss in the draft year after year and people still take the bait.  We certainly do produce excitement this time of year that's for sure.  

Sadly, some are still delusional and are having some of the positive optimistic responses to this year's draft even after a 3-13 season.  We swing and miss in the draft year after year and people still take the bait.  We certainly do produce excitement this time of year that's for sure.  

Where did we "swing and miss" in 2010-2013? Just curious as to what you define by that term.

Hard to say we missed when none of those 2014 draft picks have played a single down in a regular season NFL game.

A blast from the past. I feel like I should apologize for this, but I just had to bump this fellas, after I stumbled upon it when I was googling to find a recent Bruce Allen quote. I think it's pretty interesting to look at how we viewed the draft last year in comparison. One of the rare occasions where ES had a consensus of satisfaction.

I'm not going to lie... reading through this thread caused my eyes to water a bit out of sadness. Brings the shock of 2013 back. :(

Hey, we still have the hope that guys like Thomas, Rambo, Chris Thompson and Brandon Jenkins pan out. It could still end up being a great draft.

Don't forget Amerson.

If Reed stays healthy and Thomas works his way back in to the lineup. This team could have 3 starters from last years Draft. That's pretty good if you ask me.

What did we exactly miss on? We fielded a 3-13 team under Shanahan, but just about every game we could have won without a doubt. I use to think it was bad breaks, but it was plain and simple bad coaching. These players won 7 in a row with a 1 legged QB 2 seasons ago, that's all heart, our coaches did nothing spectacular to out wit other coaches. I actually like the team we are placing on the field this year, if Gruden turns out to be a good coach, every Redskins fan will be liking them. "This team can win under good coaching".

A couple things jump out to me, reading it back now. First, I still think Bruce is doing a good job and is drafting for depth down the road not just today. The OL taken were for this year to compete with what is already in house. Second, I don't know what in the hell happened with Mike Shanahan, something went seriously sideways compared to how it was working. I think he pissed a lot of people off, evidence of that, Allen, Brown, Campbell, Haslett and Morris remained in place. 

Lastly, that draft still serves as a possible great draft, Reed, Amerson already are. All you really need is for two others to step up and that is four starters. And it is definitely possible two do. I think Thomas, Rambo given time will play. I still hold out hold for Jenkins and Thompson to contribute. LeRibs is in shape, he could actually be in play some time soon. 

Because this guy was such a given. 

AMorris2_zpsaae45410.png

This year I am excited to see what this guy can do.....

http://es.redskins.com/topic/378830-press-release-gruden-quotes/

On if there is one player in particular he is anxious to see:

“Obviously, Lache Seastrunk is an interesting guy because of his speed. He was sitting there later on in the draft, I think he was in the sixth round, and we had him ranked a little bit higher than that and obviously [quarterback] Robert [Griffin III] knows him very well, and so we know a little bit about him. So he’s an interesting guy, I want to see him compete. The only weird thing about him is he didn’t catch any balls at Baylor, but they just don’t throw to their backs. We feel like he can catch the ball good enough.”

On RB Lache Seastrunk’s ability to catch the ball:

“We saw him at the pro days, obviously, and at the combine. He caught the ball fine and obviously Robert knows him and we did our work on him. It works out what he brings. Obviously, all the draft picks that we pick we feel like will come into camp and compete at their position, but also at special teams, which obviously is something that we need to fix. Bashaud Breeland, for instance, is a heck of a corner, very technically sound, but also we think he’s going to be a very good special teams football player.”

Don't forget Amerson.

If Reed stays healthy and Thomas works his way back in to the lineup. This team could have 3 starters from last years Draft. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Yeah, I purposefully left out Amerson and Reed because I think most of us agree that they were good picks and, furthermore, they were our first two picks. But this thread was about how great an all-around draft it was and almost everyone was on board with it.

But I agree. :) 

What did we exactly miss on? We fielded a 3-13 team under Shanahan, but just about every game we could have won without a doubt. I use to think it was bad breaks, but it was plain and simple bad coaching. These players won 7 in a row with a 1 legged QB 2 seasons ago, that's all heart, our coaches did nothing spectacular to out wit other coaches. I actually like the team we are placing on the field this year, if Gruden turns out to be a good coach, every Redskins fan will like them. "This team can win under the right coaching".

I agree with everything except the bit about the coaches doing "nothing spectacular" during the seven game winning streak. That is preposterous. It was the innovative (for the NFL) pistol formation in which we gave teams a steady dose of the read option out of, while being able to keep our ZB running game no different that turned our offense into a juggernaut that year just as much as it was Robert and Morris. Kyle Shanahan was calling plays so well teams had no idea what was coming next. An offense that was so effective teams like the Seahawks and 49ers decided to implement it (one of whom actually replaced their QB who was playing well enough to do it) and almost immediately saw their offenses take off. 

Haslett, Slowik and Raheem were working incredibly well together on that run as well. 

It's frustrating seeing all the revisionist history that goes on here because of what happened last season. The fact is, it was almost a complete consensus here that the team was in great hands and that we were on the cusp of a perennial contender. 2013 was a shock, plain and simple. No one saw that coming, even with the cap penalty hamstringing us. To act like the coaches were always idiots and just got "lucky" before is to falsify the truth.

They failed miserably last season, no doubt... and, I agree, better coaching should make a huge difference for us. But let's not re-write history. This thread really should serve to remind us of it as well as how little we know about the draft. :) 

Where did we "swing and miss" in 2010-2013? Just curious as to what you define by that term.

Hits: Trent, Riley (more like reaching base after a walk than a hit imo), Kerrigan, Griff, Morris

In between: Helu, Robinson, Cousins, 

Jury still out: Whole 2013 class, Compton, Crawford, Gettis, K. Robinson

Misses: The rest of the 2010 draft (D. Morris, T. Austin, E. Cook, Capers), J. Jenkins, Hankerson (oft - injured and probably won't be on the team past this season), Gomes, Paul, Royster, B. Thompson, Hurt, M. White, Nield, LeRib, Bernstine.

Not terrible but far from good

Rule of thumb. If you're going to be hopelessly negative and sad faced , its probably a good idea to not point a finger at other people for having a different (and better) outlook on things.

It's unfortunate that positivity and optimism bothers you so much. Maybe you should find a therapist.

Archived