Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

What's even more evident is how much stronger our organization and team building is compared to our Division foe. We were clearly last in that department for over a decade. Looks like we have moved our organization to the top as of late.

I've always maintained that success on the field starts in the FO. Job well done for sure.

This notion of having "WTF" picks in rounds 5-7 needs to be dialed back. I never go crazy about players at certain positions being picked at that point because by then it is all about getting guys that have enough value to make the team.

I do have to say, though, I love the way that a lot of the guys we picked had specific skills to bring to the table and were not just "glue" or special teams aces. For example, the emphasis on turnovers with our DBs, the open-field elusiveness of Reed and Thompson, and the pass rushing skills of Jenkins.

Impressed a bit but there are potential red flags. Amerson gets beat a lot on double moves. Not sure if that can be coached out of him. Thompson broke his back and ACL already. Jenkins broke his foot, but that doesn't seem too bad. Other pics seem ok.

in 2011 Amerson led the nation in picks, Charles Davis (who loves the kid and pick) said he thinks that due to that in 2012 Amerson came out trying to top that so gambled much more and didn't play his game and thus gave up many double move long TDs. If he comes in humble and listens, I think our staff will bring him back to his solid and playmaking days.

it went kinda un-noticed because it was during the draft but we renegotiated josh wilsons contract and saved two million. I don't know if that will be enough but it should certainly help
There was an article on this. Essentially with the predicted price of signing rookies, and only the top 52 contracts counting toward the cap....the skins only needed to clear about $300K of space to sign their picks, and that was before the Josh Wilson restructure.

The entire fan base is happy? Am I in the twilight zone?

No not the entire fan base some are still miffed that we didn't draft an automatic 1500 yd. WR who was 6'5" 235 and ran a 4.2 at the combine.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 10:31 AM ----------

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22157475/nfl-draft-nfc-east-grades

Washington Redskins

With no first round pick due to the trade up a year ago for quarterback Robert Griffin III, the Redskins had to wait until selection No. 51 overall before joining the action. Once they did, however, it became clear that the Redskins made finding ball-hawks in the secondary their top priority. The Redskins began their draft by selecting David Amerson, a lanky ball-hawk who left North Carolina State after his junior season with an NCAA-leading 18 career interceptions. The Redskins continued this search for playmaking defensive backs through the third day of the draft, nabbing safeties Phillip Thomas (NCAA-leading eight interceptions in 2012) and Baccari Rambo (who led SEC with eight interceptions in 2011). Tight end Jordan Reed is a virtual clone of former Florida Gator Aaron Hernandez and could prove to be similarly effective as the Patriots' standout as a move tight end or H-back in this scheme. I also like the late-round gambles on injured pass-rusher Brandon Jenkins (Florida State) and running back Jawan Jamison (Rutgers). Overall, a very solid class, especially considering the lack of a first round pick. Grade: A-

Antoine Winfield would have been a one year fix and caused cap adjustments that would have had to have been dealt with later. But this competent FO decided not to bargain the present for the future and choose to draft players that could be here eight to ten years instead.

I'm pretty sure that Allen devised an offer for Winfield that wouldn't have caused any cap adjustments that needed to be dealt with later...they've been incredibly diligent in avoiding doing that all offseason. Bruce Allen is one seriously underrated mf'er when it comes to keeping a franchise's financial health in tact. The Cowboys are the team that's gonna need to deal with a bunch of cap issues a few years down the road.

I'm pretty sure that Allen devised an offer for Winfield that wouldn't have caused any cap adjustments that needed to be dealt with later...they've been incredibly diligent in avoiding doing that all offseason. Bruce Allen is one seriously underrated mf'er when it comes to keeping a franchise's financial health in tact. The Cowboys are the team that's gonna need to deal with a bunch of cap issues a few years down the road.

A wildly overlooked element of the new regime, Allen was dismissed by many here as just Shanny's lapdog but so far he has been magnificent in managing the numbers. We will not just field a team as good as last year but IMO one that ought to be better, and that done while getting dry-humped by Mara without eating into next year's $$$$, I just don't know how you do it better than that.

A wildly overlooked element of the new regime, Allen was dismissed by many here as just Shanny's lapdog but so far he has been magnificent in managing the numbers. We will not just field a team as good as last year but IMO one that ought to be better, and that done while getting dry-humped by Mara without eating into next year's $$$$, I just don't know how you do it better than that.

Yep :yes:...and not only that, but Allen set up the Skins to be able to absorb a literally last-minute cap deduction of $18 million last year without it sending their plans into chaos, and the team still won the NFC East. That's not luck, folks.

The sad part is, Allen and Shanahan should have been serious contenders for Executive(s) of the Year last season, but no way in hell the other owners and/or GMs in the league would ever reward the Skins' FO for basically overcoming a punishment they dished out lol...it would be like saying "Your franchise deserves to be punished for what the front office did!!...And congrats to your front office for overcoming that punishment, here's your award!!" :ols:

First and most important, they re-signed everybody they wanted to keep but Lorenzo Alexander even with the NFL bogus salary cap penalties. They had a great draft, especially having Thomas and Rambo fall into their lap with a 4th and a 6th round pick! They are building a team--evidenced with the Wilson contract restructure and the D. Hall cut/resigning. They should have a great locker room, much of that attributed to the fact that with RG3 and Morris, this team can win now!

With the draft, the front office showed confidence in our WRs and OL. They added positions of need--CB, FS, SS, 3rd down RB and LB. We got some play makers and still might have some FA sign with us later this year! Go Skins!

Oh yeah I agree and probably the limit it set on that offer caused him to eventually sign elsewhere..... you won't find a bigger BA fan. I hated when he was getting slammed for his work in Tampa which I thought was great considering the ownership he was under.

in 2011 Amerson led the nation in picks, Charles Davis (who loves the kid and pick) said he thinks that due to that in 2012 Amerson came out trying to top that so gambled much more and didn't play his game and thus gave up many double move long TDs. If he comes in humble and listens, I think our staff will bring him back to his solid and playmaking days.

Plus, Amerson confirmed this as the reason. So he knows that he has that issue and is ready and willing to fix it. Can't ask for more out of a guy.

I agree completely! They have done all you stated and more! When they (Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan) I said - "thank God adults are in charge again!" and you could feel it was different right from the beginning. Not just the deals and signings but the mentality of the men in camp and all the things that may seem insignifcant but have a cumulative impact - like bringing back the alumni and making them welcome again! Hard to believe they were basically ignored for so long. Good things are happening again for our Redskins and man is it enjoyable watching! Get ready for some exciting football, on both sides of the ball, this season! I think the consistency and cohesivness the team has now will give Mike and Kyle the ability to put some unique formations and plays in this year...lets see who lines up in the backfield and how many TEs we have on the field at once. Can you say mismatch! Getting fired up already! And am very thankful Dan Snyder finally learned to put the right people in charge and let them work. He is a great owner who loves the Skins and wants to win and did what he thought would accomplish that, and it didn't so he switched gears, and it is a thing of beauty! HTTR!!!

I say great job Men, thanks from this Redskins fan who wondered if he would see his team rally to become relevant again. The last two drafts, the approach, the feel of the team is evidence that yes you are competent in your task, hats off! HTTR!:beavisnbutthead:

I completely agree. I was happy to actually see our FO drafting to fit our needs & have been very efficient in what they've done so far.

It is good to be a Redskins fan. HTTR. :point2sky

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 01:06 PM ----------

The entire fan base is happy? Am I in the twilight zone?

I know, right?! This is definitely an alternate dimension, from which I hope to NEVER return!!!

HTTR!!!

Archived