Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

SWFLSkins

I agree with everything except the bit about the coaches doing "nothing spectacular" during the seven game winning streak. That is preposterous. It was the innovative (for the NFL) pistol formation in which we gave teams a steady dose of the read option out of, while being able to keep our ZB running game no different that turned our offense into a juggernaut that year just as much as it was Robert and Morris. Kyle Shanahan was calling plays so well teams had no idea what was coming next. An offense that was so effective teams like the Seahawks and 49ers decided to implement it (one of whom actually replaced their QB who was playing well enough to do it) and almost immediately saw their offenses take off. 

Haslett, Slowik and Raheem were working incredibly well together on that run as well. 

It's frustrating seeing all the revisionist history that goes on here because of what happened last season. The fact is, it was almost a complete consensus here that the team was in great hands and that we were on the cusp of a perennial contender. 2013 was a shock, plain and simple. No one saw that coming, even with the cap penalty hamstringing us. To act like the coaches were always idiots and just got "lucky" before is to falsify the truth.

They failed miserably last season, no doubt... and, I agree, better coaching should make a huge difference for us. But let's not re-write history. This thread really should serve to remind us of it as well as how little we know about the draft. :)

I loved the read option we had going on, but it wasn't as much of a threat after Griffin got hurt, then it was before. That's what really showed the heart from this team, they were very limited and still went on that 7 game winning streak. Man I hope Gruden is a smart and good coach, I really feel this team can light it up this season.

I think a lot of the satisfaction with the Skins 2013 draft was similar to the momentary bliss we saw when Mogran Moses "fell" to the Skins in the 3rd round.

Rambo and Thomas were highly ranked safeties and they fell to the Skins near the end of the draft, hopefully filling a need. There were fans squirming each time the Skins took other players. (Reed, Jenkins, etc) instead of one of the safeties. So folks were doubly pleased when it all turned out for the better. And it really looked like Shanhan & Co. had played the waiting game perfectly.

I think if in this year's third round, if the Skins had picked some media high-rated player like Nix or Brooks or a more "well-known" Guard, rather than a recuperating Spencer Long -- that might have taken the sting out of trading with Dallas.

Lastly, drafting a second kicker, at the expense of Ahmad Dixon (DB) or Smallwood (ILB) left a sour taste for some folks. They saw these as the last chance to draft for need -- instead, it was more depth/competition for special teams.

Consequently, it was a less upbeat ending -- to a draft that folks were relying on to fix the problems of the 2013 Skins roster.

Sadly, some are still delusional and are having some of the positive optimistic responses to this year's draft even after a 3-13 season.  We swing and miss in the draft year after year and people still take the bait.  We certainly do produce excitement this time of year that's for sure.  

See, it's posts like this that make me wonder why you insist on being a Redskins fan at all! If there's no hope or optimism, what's the point in continuing? When you have a bad day at work, do you get up the next day & think, "why bother having a positive outlook because yesterday was so bad!"? Like I said, why continue to be a Redskins fan with that kind of outlook? And honestly, why do you feel the need to sprinkle your negativity on those who choose to be positive & optimistic? Sad, sad, sad little man you are.

Well, well, well the FO again finishes possibly stronger then it started....taken from the UDFA thread.This is the list they have over at Hoghaven:

J.R. Carr - Long Snapper- Tenn

Silas Redd RB - USC(Confirmed by team)

Tommy Reese - QB - Notre Dame

Bryan Shepherd - DB - NDSU

Justin Blake - FS- Hampton

Cody Hoffman - WR - BYU($7500 signing bonus)

Kevin Perry - TE - Texas El-Paso(Tryout)

Robert Thomas - DL - Arkansas

Chris Davenport - DL - Tulane

Rashad Lawrence - WR - Northwestern

Mike Box - QB - IUP(Tryout)

Lee Doss - WR - Southern

Quandon Christian - LB - Clemson

Kofi Hughes - WR - Indiana

Kevin Fogg - CB - Liberty

L.J. Jones - CB - Fresno State(Tryout)

Blake Sailors, FS, Ohio State

Courtney Bridget, DB, Hampton

Chris Fields, WR, Ohio State

Daniel McKinney - WR - FAU

Eddie Poole - WR - Bethune-Cookman

Chris Coyer - FB - Temple(Tryout)

Terrill Barnes - WR - IUP

Vincent Eddie - CB - Louisiana-Monroe

Michael Cole - OLB - Maine(Tryout)

Kyler Elsworth - ILB - Michigan State(Tryout)

Kenny Bell - WR- Alabama(Tryout)

Jordan Hall - RB - Ohio State(Tryout)

http://www.hogshaven...udfa-discussion

Pay attention to this guy. 

I loved the read option we had going on, but it wasn't as much of a threat after Griffin got hurt, then it was before. That's what really showed the heart from this team, they were very limited and still went on that 7 game winning streak. Man I hope Gruden is a smart and good coach, I really feel this team can light it up this season.

I think a big part of why that stopped working was because they waaaaaaaaaay over used it. It was ok against teams like Dallas because every play we had DeMarcus Ware spinning in place not knowing where the ball was. But, the offensive coaches were just missing everywhere. They knew they had a gimpy QB & instead of gameplanning to protect him, more often than not, they forced him into situations that clearly made him uncomfortable & forcing him to force plays downfield. Games like the Broncos game where we ran the ball a total of 18 times all game. Instead of continuing to cram the ball down their throats, they come out in the 2nd half throwing, essentially swinging for the fences as if we were behind trying to catch up, not protecting a lead.

Anyway, the read option is good for a 3rd down here & there trying to keep defenses honest. But after a while, when the read option seems to be the only formation in the playbook, defenses were figuring it out pretty quick.

Our offense was a strength the entire year, not just the last 7 games. Even if you want to gloss over that, Robert got hurt late against the Ravens. So that was almost 4 games into our winning streak. Kirk came in and did an awesome job to finish the game and then took it to the Browns, who were playing great on defense, but he did it with Shanahan's traditional bootleg offense. That's the coaches. Robert came back and played well against the Eagles with the read option kept to a minimum, however, the Eagles almost came back and we struggled in the 4th Quarter to keep drives going. It was a 4th down stop at the goal line due to a Bowen pressure on Foles that won us that game.

Against Dallas, we went back to the read option and Morris absolutely destroyed them. Same goes for Seattle, until Robert got hurt. The rest is history.

I simply can't look at all that and say the coaches had little to do with it. The coaches did an amazing job the entire year on offense and the 7 game winning streak happened in part because our defensive coaches started to scheme better. There's no need to take that away from them in order to lend credence to your legitimate theory that better coaching will make a huge difference.  

In fact, your theory is strengthened by the fact that, in 2012 and with better coaching overall, this team was great. In 2013, the coaches failed on numerous levels along with other negative factors that came into play... and we got what we got. 

So, yeah, better coaching will be huge for us.  

Hits: Trent, Riley (more like reaching base after a walk than a hit imo), Kerrigan, Griff, Morris

In between: Helu, Robinson, Cousins, 

Jury still out: Whole 2013 class, Compton, Crawford, Gettis, K. Robinson

Misses: The rest of the 2010 draft (D. Morris, T. Austin, E. Cook, Capers), J. Jenkins, Hankerson (oft - injured and probably won't be on the team past this season), Gomes, Paul, Royster, B. Thompson, Hurt, M. White, Nield, LeRib, Bernstine.

Not terrible but far from good

That's a legitimate way to look at it, but I have it a little different. 

I'd take Jarvis Jenkins and put him in the "in between" category. He's not a liability in anyway except on obvious passing downs and is a good run stopper. I'd also take Hankerson, Hurt, Rib and Neild and put them in the "jury still out" category. Hankerson was actually playing pretty well at times last season. 

The "rest of the 2010 draft" should have an asterisk as they were all 6-7 round picks. Also, putting the entire 2013 draft in the "jury still out" category is legitimate, but at least two of those guys shown they belong in the NFL already (Amerson, Reed), so another asterisk. 

So, for me, that makes it a lot better than what you've got. In fact, the "hits" are at positions that are so massively important that alone keeps it from being labeled "far from good".   

I love how pessimistic some people can be. So many not only take it for granted we haven't drafted complete busts in the early rounds but are also upset that we don't routinely find Pro Bowlers in the 5 the round and later. We've had this argument a lot on here and the facts are the facts. Our success rate in the draft has been league average at worst. Truthfully we've done quite well in the draft for several years.

You simply can't keep every pick every year. In fact the draft show displayed that 28 men on our roster came through the draft (higher than almost all other teams I saw displayed) and that 5 of them have made at least one Pro Bowl. Like I said facts are facts and like it or not we have not only been building this team through the draft for several years but we've been doing it quite well. A dearth of first rounders and terrible QB play from the guy you spent those picks on = 3-13.

The players never gave up or turned on their coach. This team has great leadership mad character, a refreshing change in the head coach and we have every reason to believe RGIII will be much improved this year. Bruce has addressed literally EVERY single need on this roster and then some this offseason. Some are short term solutions but he did a damn good job bringing in 1-2 year stop gaps for pennies that ARE upgrades and several other players that are major upgrades. We even landed Desean Jackson on a very reasonable contract. We land three very toughnosed football-loving players with our first three picks, two of which are offensive linemen and it's still not enough.

I realize many on here will refuse to be positive until we start winning but if you can't even admit to yourself some of the positives don't come on here ****ing about unsupported bs just because you're jaded you aren't a fan of a team that makes the playoffs every year.

That's a legitimate way to look at it, but I have it a little different. 

I'd take Jarvis Jenkins and put him in the "in between" category. He's not a liability in anyway except on obvious passing downs and is a good run stopper. I'd also take Hankerson, Hurt, Rib and Neild and put them in the "jury still out" category. Hankerson was actually playing pretty well at times last season. 

The "rest of the 2010 draft" should have an asterisk as they were all 6-7 round picks. Also, putting the entire 2013 draft in the "jury still out" category is legitimate, but at least two of those guys shown they belong in the NFL already (Amerson, Reed), so another asterisk. 

So, for me, that makes it a lot better than what you've got. In fact, the "hits" are at positions that are so massively important that alone keeps it from being labeled "far from good".   

I want to see the 2013 guys a bit more before I make a firm decision. Reed and Amerson look good but we all know how things can change from year to year.

Also, I'm of the thought that you should always get something out of your firsts so you don't get any additional points for those. That's probably very harsh but that's how I look at it. 

Like I said, it wasn't as bad as a lot of ppl make it seem but it's been nothing to write home about. 

I want to see the 2013 guys a bit more before I make a firm decision. Reed and Amerson look good but we all know how things can change from year to year.

Also, I'm of the thought that you should always get something out of your firsts so you don't get any additional points for those. That's probably very harsh but that's how I look at it. 

Like I said, it wasn't as bad as a lot of ppl make it seem but it's been nothing to write home about. 

Yeah, that's incredibly harsh, lol. 1st rounders bust all the time. But, hey, that's your prerogative. :)

I think taking Trent over Okung; passing on Gabbert while getting the Jags to bite and trade us picks, then taking Kerrigan; and having the guts to move up for Robert in a historical trade for a QB that had the best rookie season ever should be commended. Big time. I can't look at that and say "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul".   

I realize many on here will refuse to be positive until we start winning but if you can't even admit to yourself some of the positives don't come on here ****ing about unsupported bs just because you're jaded you aren't a fan of a team that makes the playoffs every year.

I honestly feel like, if you can't even attempt to be positive about anything the Redskins do, go be a fan of another team. I'm really sick of reading all these whiny posts. Be supportive or get off the friggin bus.

I really question sometimes how guys evaluate a guy after the fact. To me, I don't judge a 4th round pick's performance in terms of "hit/bust" the same way I view a 1st rounder.

If I'm drafting a guy in the first or second round they need to be a consistent starter, AT LEAST, to be a reasonable solid pick. If they're a pro-bowl/all pro caliber guy then that's a home run, but I'm expecting all my 1st and 2nd round picks to be a consistent starter to feel that I "hit" on those pics. If my 1st or 2nd rounders end up being "depth" or rotational guys, basically a spot starter, and nothing more than that than to me that's a miss.

However...

I view guys in that 3 to 5th range a lot differently. My expectation for those rounds are to get a guy who can maybe be a spot starter due to injury, a rotational player, or someone whose constantly challenging for a starting spot even if they don't win it. If I'm getting a guy in those rounds that ends up being a consistent starter, then I'm taking that as a home run. If I draft a guy in the 4th and he is a spot starter for me for 4 years, but never really becomes a full time consistent starter, I don't consider that a "miss". It's not a home run, but it's filling the purpose I expect as the baseline for those rounds.

In the 6th and 7th round, if the guy makes the team and sticks as depth for a few years that is all I'm really expecting. If they do better than that then it's all gravy.

Niles Paul is not a "miss" to me. A key special teams guy, he's a relatively common rotational player throughout his entire time here, and has been a solid and consistent backup as a 5th round pick. That's the type of value I expect out of a 5th round pick. He's not a home run, but he isn't a miss.

Roy Helu, again, not someone I'd consider a miss. Challenged for a starting spot at times, been a consistent rotational player, has been a contributor for multiple years. For a 4th round pick that's reasonable.

The same goes for Hankerson. Jarvis Jenkins is a bit of a twiner, and I can see saying "miss" on him if he's gone after next year. He's never managed to be a consistent starter for us as a 2nd round pick.

Expecting all 2nd round picks to be a sure-fire starter? A 2nd round pick has around a 50/50 shot of panning out, period.

I expect a 2nd rounder to become a consistent starter to consider it a "hit", yes. I think the first two rounds you're aiming at starters, mid rounds you're aiming for guys who might challenge and provide good rotation/depth, and late rounders are guys you think need to develop or may serve as teams guys.

Does that always happen, no...but that's my general expectations. If they are better than what I expect for those rounds then I consider that a big win. If they're worse then that's a miss

33% of firsts are legit stars, 33% of firsts are serviceable players and 33% are busts due to injury, player misfortune-what have you. So really 1 out of 3 of teams drafting in the first every year show negative net gain for their effort and trust in their picks, some of it no fault their own. 

33% of firsts are legit stars, 33% of firsts are serviceable players and 33% are busts due to injury, player misfortune-what have you. So really 1 out of 3 of teams drafting in the first every year show negative net gain for their effort and trust in their picks, some of it no fault their own. 

I consider a serviceable guy (i.e. a starter) a hit 

I consider a serviceable guy (i.e. a starter) a hit 

Serviceable was not described as a full time starter, just a player who contributes, might start, but plays 3-4 years. Think about it in car terms, did the car get you to work, yeah, were the chicks hot for it? no. Did it break down on a trip? might. 

Expecting all 2nd round picks to be a sure-fire starter? A 2nd round pick has around a 50/50 shot of panning out, period. 

I would say most teams expect players drafted in the rds 1-3 to become starters.  In some cases they might draft a guy to fill a specific role like 3rd down RB, slot WR or nickle CB that aren't necessarily starting roles but they're expected to be on the field quite a bit. Some teams might draft a backup QB in the top 3 rds but they have to think he can start if called upon.  Doesn't mean they all pan out, but that's the expectation.   

I would say most teams expect players drafted in the rds 1-3 to become starters.  In some cases they might draft a guy to fill a specific role like 3rd down RB, slot WR or nickle CB that aren't necessarily starting roles but they're expected to be on the field quite a bit. Some teams might draft a backup QB in the top 3 rds but they have to think he can start if called upon.  Doesn't mean they all pan out, but that's the expectation.   

a33d-1.jpg

Yeah, that's incredibly harsh, lol. 1st rounders bust all the time. But, hey, that's your prerogative. :)

I think taking Trent over Okung; passing on Gabbert while getting the Jags to bite and trade us picks, then taking Kerrigan; and having the guts to move up for Robert in a historical trade for a QB that had the best rookie season ever should be commended. Big time. I can't look at that and say "I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul".   

All good points. 

I'm just harder to please I guess lol

Serviceable was not described as a full time starter, just a player who contributes, might start, but plays 3-4 years. Think about it in car terms, did the car get you to work, yeah, were the chicks hot for it? no. Did it break down on a trip? might. 

Okay I get it.

In my head, someone like Riley is serviceable and probably a hit

I honestly feel like, if you can't even attempt to be positive about anything the Redskins do, go be a fan of another team. I'm really sick of reading all these whiny posts. Be supportive or get off the friggin bus.

There are plenty of things to be positive and negative about and I'm fine with either. It just gets really old when people repeatedly complain about literally everything we do whether it is right or wrong and show no reason to back their opinion or belief. ****ing for the sake of ****ing has its place. But overuse gets old fast especially from repeat offenders.

There has been a clear plan this offseason and it looks to be extremely well executed. The kicker selection seemed a little strange but I'll buy gruden's explanation. Our draft looks to be a good one and a clear execution of the offseason plan. I'm extremely happy with this offseason and I'm optimistic about the team's future.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of retaining Haslett, or a fan of the Murph pick (for value purposes), but I realize that I'm not in their draft meetings, nor am I an NFL exec/scout, and that, you know what, the **** might just work out. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. You can disagree vehemently and have valid, legit reasons why, but if people just complain for no reason other than what happened in the past, or because other people are willing to at least see things through, then they're going to find that there's very little they can do, besides stop following the team, or find a new team. Its very childish

Who cares that they used a 7th rounder - 228 on a kicker? Some people are reacting like he was drafted in the 2nd. It might turn out to be a great pick. As for being 3 - 13 - well we were 10 - 6 the year before that - and I like this team with Djax, more experience and a new coaching staff better than that team of two years ago. The team QUIT on the Shanahan's last year so we aren't a "3 - 13 team". Could we go 8 - 8? Yeah - but we could also go 10 - 6 - we aren't as far off as people think..

I'm not a Shanahan apologist - but he didn't exactly take over a team with a lot of talent. And he didn't leave the team with nothing either. He probably did the best job of drafting (of any Redskins coach) in the free agent era - Trent, Al, Kerrigan, RG3, Amerson just to name a few....Back to the draft - I give them a B-. When we let RAK walk because he wants crazy money - the Murphy pick will be looked at as being brilliant. The OL, RB and CB picks all could be guys who could contribute in a year - not bad for a team that had no 1st round pick. Everybody thinks they can find a Tom Brady, Richard Sherman or Zach Thomas in the later rounds - but it just doesn't happen. When we start kicking the ball in the end zone or hitting longer FGs and maybe even punting better - everyone will be happy with the 7th round selection - just like Kirk's first year. So relax and enjoy the ride.

The new one-word descriptor for the 2014 Washington Redskins off-season thus far ...

"RELENTLESS"

Trent Murphy

Spencer Long

Bashaud Breeland

Ryan Grant

Lache Seastrunk 

Players who, by their sheer "will", rise above their otherwise "pedestrian measurables" to achieve their goals ... team and career success ... and their ultimate goal ... Championships!!

Players whose drive and passion to succeed won't let them stop ... whose determination fuels their hunger to succeed ... who are loaded with the ultimate intangible ... "want to" ...

It will no longer matter when or where you were drafted ... how much you make ... or how long you've been in the league ... it's now about "want to" ... who wants "it" more ... and then a little bit more beyond that ... 

This is our team ... our time ... our chance ... the opportunity is before us ... and we will not be denied ... we will be ...

"RELENTLESS"

Who wants it ...

Archived