Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Congratulations stupid Native American and liberal groups. We can now change our name and the failures of Native American society can once again become an after thought. 

It's incredible to me that PC NAs are winning instead of people who could have leveraged the Redskins and teams like them to bring more resources and awareness of the challenges in those communities. 

If I'm Dan Snyder and I'm forced to change this name, I move forward totally ignoring the plight of Native Americans in this country. Great outcome, PC crowd.

Wouldn't that kind of justify the position of PC NAs?  That would be punishing a group of suffering people because they happen to be the same race as some other people Snyder disagrees with.

This is all working out nicely for Danny. He's going to act like he doesn't want the name changed, but will employ teams to do focus groups on a new name. When he's finally forced, he will have a new name, possibly new uniform and logos, and will rake in a ton of money from all the new gear.

I think that's short sighted.  There's a lot of money tied up in the brand. Losing the brand will cost Snyder millions, if not 10's of millions.

There's a reason they've been defending the name.  It's not just because they like the name, it's a business decision.  

Say what you want about Dan Synder, he's a shrewd and intelligent business man.  

My preference is that the 'Skins organization finds a tribe that's willing to get behind the team, and "sponsor" it, if you will, and lend it's name to the team.  Kindof like the Seminols and Illioni.  And then the team builds a relationship with that tribe, supports them, and uses their name.  That way some of the imagery could stay.

But absent that, I think that they should scrap the hole native American thing, and become something completely unrelated.

This whole thing is just very discouraging.   

But even if they can force a name change, that does not impact the logo. The logo and everything else would stick around. THe trademark of the name Redskins might be taken away, but that doesnt mean people can print up jerseys and such with the Redskins logo on it.

So say they did for some reason change the name to the Warriors. No reason to change the uniform or the logo.

When the name eventually changes, I want a say in what it will be.

I also will demand that evey single team at all levels that have an Indian related nickname be forced to change their name.    Even something like the Kansas City Chiefs or Cleveland Indians; their names has to go.

Here comes the Washington DannySnyders with the logo being a big image of Danny smiling.

The organization is not "overtly racist". The nickname, and the nickname only, is antiquated and found to offensive by many Americans. i want to address that issue while maintaining as much of the history and tradition of the team as possible.

What does that make me? Proud, Loyal and probably a bit more of a non-conformist than you, that's all.

Hail!

Au contrair mon ami,

By association, if the organisation continues to keep the name you cite as being offensive (by the minority); then they are nothing but overtly racist.

And you continue to follow a racist, bigoted sports franchise if that's the case.

So that must make you either a massive hypocrite or one and the same yourself.

Hail.

I also will demand that evey single team at all levels that have an Indian related nickname be forced to change their name.    Even something like the Kansas City Chiefs or Cleveland Indians; their names has to go.

Why would their names have to go?

Au contrair mob ami,

By association, if the organisation continues to keep the name you cite as being offensive (by the minority); then they are nothing but overtly racist.

And you continue to follow a racist, bigoted sports franchise if that's the case.

So that must make you either a massive hypocrite or one and the same yourself.

Hail.

attorney-stratton-5.jpg

Are you drunk?

Man I hate the mobile version of ES. When I click on a thread, it typically takes me to the last page instead of the preferred OP. When I clicked on this one, it took me to the first page of a 124 page thread. Instead of clicking next 123 times I'll just post and complain about it lol. Anyways, if the team name needs to be changed, I say just go with "Skins"

Yeah true, but at least nothing would change that much.

I think if we do end up going away from the NA imagery, we go with the Senators. The name does have history here in the area with the old Washington Senators baseball team. I think it would be cool if they went with Red/White/Blue like the other teams in the city.

Totally see your point. 

I am from Ottawa and am not an Ottawa Senators hockey fan.  Was a Leaf fan before they came into the league and never "jumped" ship.  I would hate for the Redskins to change to the Senators just out of personal spite.

Damn I would hate it!

I hope it's the Braves.  Considering how Nat fans hate the Braves in baseball, it'll be funny to see them root for the Braves in football haha.

You're a dick. It's funny...but you're still a dick. :)

I would feel szchizo come fall!

War doesn't have to be killing people.  War could be anything, metaphorical war, non-violent war, etc.  Warrior is used in a sports context all the time having nothing to do with death.  

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with you a little bit here.  Definition by dictionary.com:

1. a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air.
2. a state or period of armed hostility or active military operations: The two nations were at war with each other.
3. a contest carried on by force of arms, as in a series of battles or campaigns: the War of 1812.
4. armed fighting, as a science, profession, activity, or art; methods or principles of waging armed conflict: War is the soldier's business.
5. active hostility or contention; conflict; contest: a war of words.

I'm for Dan sticking with the name, and sticking it to all of the perpetually offended in this country. "Ooh .. I'm offended at you using the term "..." " "Ooh, I'm offended that you don't condone my choice of lifestyle" "Ooh, I'm offended that you're not offended just like I am offended .." I would love to stick it in the faces of these whiners at a Super Bowl!

I'm SO SICK of the bedwetting whiners in this country who think that EVERYONE must agree with them! Or else they will take your job and your company away. It's time to put our feet down and step up to these whiners before they take away even our freedom to believe what we choose to believe!

I think Dan should make the best business decision he can.  If he thinks that the value of the franchise is better sticking with the name, so be it.  If he thinks it would be better to change the name for value reasons, that's fine too.

btw, there is no way that DC will ever grant a new stadium to the Redskins.  So, for those who want (eventually) to see the 'Skins in the city again, the name will have to change.

I find this sad, and unconstitutional, but it seems like that's the way we're going.

War doesn't have to be killing people.  War could be anything, metaphorical war, non-violent war, etc.  Warrior is used in a sports context all the time having nothing to do with death.  

Not sure that makes sense.

Every time I've been sent somewhere as a warrior...

War is offensive. Additionally, if you keep the mascot, these same "offended" groups will want it to change sooner rather than later.

Just sayin.

The mascot has to go with it if they change the name.  I can't envision any scenario they keep the mascot but dump the name.  They're a package deal.

Totally see your point.

I am from Ottawa and am not an Ottawa Senators hockey fan. Was a Leaf fan before they came into the league and never "jumped" ship. I would hate for the Redskins to change to the Senators just out of personal spite.

Damn I would hate it!

Surprised the environmentalists haven't jumped all over the 'Leafs.

Save the trees! Down with the Toronto anti-tree racist ****ers!

Hail.

I hope the name does not change but I think the name eventually will hurt the team in the long run. Some Skins corporate sponsor will get the bright idea to back out because of the name. They might lose support amongst fans of the team but they will get much better PR by standing up to the team with the bad name. Then the landslide happens. I also think it is just sad that some people will get more passionate into changing the name then addressing real problems in America or for that matter real legit issues that Native Americans. I do applaud Snyder for starting up the Original Americans Foundation to help bring awareness to Native American issues and to do something about it. Do I know his motivation, no, I don't know the man's heart. But I do know that this is a positive action. I love the history and am excited about the future of our team, the Washington Redskins. Imho, the name does not taint any of that history but if it starts to hurt the future of the team and its ability to be the best football team possible. Then something needs to be done.

Also, just throwing two questions out there:

1. Do you think there is going to be any protest groups against the Redskins name at training camp this season? I was not aware of any last season.

2. Do you think the patent office ruling ( I know there are appeals) will cause prices on Skins gear and rise or there be a run on Skins gear!

HTTR regardless of the name!

Well, actually you can now and you can sell it. Since the name is no longer trademarked, any Joe Schmo can make and sell Redskins gear.

Well....that's what we in the business like to call....not true.

The Washington Redskins maintain the trademark throughout the appeals process.....so make all ya want but you'll still get sued for selling it.

The nickname, and the nickname only, is antiquated and found to offensive by many Americans.

By many Amerikans, not Americans.

SeattleWeekly: Willpinit High School Redskins, over in Spokane County. Except they have no plans to change their mascot. At a school where more than 90 percent of the students are Indian - in the heart of the Spokane Reservation where author Sherman Alexie was raised – they’re sticking with Redskins.  Said Tim Ames, superintendent of Wellpinit schools, this week: “I’ve talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it. ‘Redskins’ is not an insult to our kids. ‘Wagon burners’ is an insult. ‘Prairie niggers’ is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But ‘Redskins’ is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I’d like to see somebody come up here and try to change it.”

Well....that's what we in the business like to call....not true.

The Washington Redskins maintain the trademark throughout the appeals process.....so make all ya want but you'll still get sued for selling it.

Yes, as long as they keep appealing, it will still be under team/league control.

But even if they can force a name change, that does not impact the logo. The logo and everything else would stick around. THe trademark of the name Redskins might be taken away, but that doesnt mean people can print up jerseys and such with the Redskins logo on it.

So say they did for some reason change the name to the Warriors. No reason to change the uniform or the logo.

Agreed.  Everything should be Snyder's decision.

My opinion is that if they change the name, and can find a tribe to "sponsor" them, they can keep everything but the name.

But if they can't, I think the best course of action is to get away from everything even remotely native american, and go with something patriotic. Maybe just go with "The Americans." Or "The Citizens." (I'm joking here.) 

Chuckle.  If they go with "The Americans" they could technically keep the native american logo. That might actually be kindof fun.  

Regardless, I think that if they are forced to change the name, they should just get away from the whole Native American thing all together, reboot entirely.  Maybe stick it to the Liberals and go with "The Spotted Owls"

Archived