Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

The only way this truly affects me is if active players start to resent the name and stop being proud of the organization they play for.  That's what Snyder needs to stay ahead of.

The players are gonna start getting asked about it over and over and over and over (kinda like last year and RG3's knee) and they are gonna get tired of it quick.

Again, Snyder needs to get ahead of it or this poop storm is gonna get worse and worse.  He's going to alienate more and more people the longer he waits.  He already looks bad enough to the public eye.

Yes, ahead of it instead getting dragged by it.  In that way, we get to keep our colors, song, dignity, etc…  What about this don't you understand?

Pretty sure he's laughing at the idea that they can ever get "Ahead" of it at this point when they have dug themselves such a deep hole.

Also the colors would be the first thing I'd want to change, but that's just me being selfish because I think I look ridiculous in Burgundy and Gold. I root for the Skins harder than any DC Team but I own very little merchandise because of the colors. 

If we are forced to change the name, then change everything entirely. No more Native American theme, no more Burgundy and gold. Eventually the same PC crowd will complain that Native American groups are not represented enough in mainstream society.

Change the team name and colors to something representative of the Military. W on the helmets with a tasteful camo uniform.

I call bull**** on the whole "whaa, they're still gonna come after us" crowd.  Indians, Seminoles, Blackhawks, Utes, etc…  The reason that they are coming after us is because…THE WORD REDSKINS IS. A. RACIAL. SLUR…It just is.

you're right.  IT's b/c it's the color of someone's skin.  That's why it's different.

Also the colors would be the first thing I'd want to change, but that's just me being selfish because I think I look ridiculous in Burgundy and Gold. I root for the Skins harder than any DC Team but I own very little merchandise because of the colors. 

I disagree with you on the colors like most people here disagree with me about the imagery.

Burgundy and gold have a romantic glow under the autumn sun. It would be impossible to replace imo. There are only so many colors in the wheel, and they've all been taken before us. 

I see this being tied up in the courts for years.....but I guess this one step closer to a name change. Sad day.   :(

Go back to the original name....Braves.  

Washington Braves or Braveskins   The fight song won't have to change much. 

I do find it funny when folks debate what the name will be. Its going to be the Warriors. He owns that name. They can use that without using any NA imagery. I'd like the spear, but that would be a non-starter.

I've said for a while I want no nickname, and only the number of the player on the helmet. But I could live with this.

Washington+Warriors2.jpg

If anyone wants to read the decision, it's here:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=199

There are two things I saw that are "attackable," in my very limited understand of the law (read: I watch Law & Order a lot...).

One is this decision:

Respondent’s argument regarding “secondary meaning” in the sense that it has “a secondary or alternate meaning” denoting a football team, is not persuasive in that the “secondary meaning” has not 

stripped the word “redskins” of its “ethnic” meaning.209

However, prior to that, the plaintiff's linguist documented that 71 occurrences out of about 150,000 references since the late 1800's that did not refer to the football team, and most of their evidence of that, words like "dirty" or "greasy" precede the word redskin. To me, that's a major contradiction. 

Secondly, the court makes the assumption that since the NCAI represents 30% of NAs, then 30% of NAs must find it offensive. I find that to be a major assumption to base their judgment on.

I would be shocked if it wasn't overturned on appeal, just like it was in 2003:

The TTAB’s finding of disparagement is not supported by substantial evidence and must be reversed. The decision should also be reversed because the doctrine of laches precludes consideration of the case. 

Just get it over with.

Imagine the **** storm this organization will face if it were ever to go to the Super Bowl.

I stated before, but that is my biggest dream. I would troll so hard for those two weeks lol. I love playing the villain and it doesn't get more villainous than that lol

I call bull**** on the whole "whaa, they're still gonna come after us" crowd.  Indians, Seminoles, Blackhawks, Utes, etc…  The reason that they are coming after us is because…THE WORD REDSKINS IS. A. RACIAL. SLUR…It just is.

Once the Redskins name changes. Every Native American name in Pro/College sports will be on a clock. Even the ones that have deals with some tribes. Other tribes will still claim its offensive for some reason. I believe that. 

Washington RedHawks, Washington Warpath (spear logos) would both work.  Better than Warriors.

Or just mess with everyone and (this has been mentioned before) got with Washington Bullets!

Please Lord, just NOT the Washington Federals!

Congratulations stupid Native American and liberal groups. We can now change our name and the failures of Native American society can once again become an after thought. 

It's incredible to me that PC NAs are winning instead of people who could have leveraged the Redskins and teams like them to bring more resources and awareness of the challenges in those communities. 

If I'm Dan Snyder and I'm forced to change this name, I move forward totally ignoring the plight of Native Americans in this country. Great outcome, PC crowd.

Thankfully, not everyone is as vindictive and petty.

Archived