Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

If we have to be named after a (Keanu Reeves) movie, I would have gone with the Washington John Wicks.

heck, if we really want a tie in to a movie or tv show, why not the Washington Watchmen?

Or actually there really is a Keanu Reeves movie called The Watcher, so there’s that as well ... the Washington Watchers

image.jpeg.ad59055fd134733075582c577158c6a5.jpeg

Does it know something we don’t?

A reddish coyote, genetic cousin to the Red Wolf, was spotted on the national mall. There are unconfirmed reports that it was seen later that night at the location of the former RFK stadium where it urinated to mark it’s territory and howled at the moon before taking off. It was last observed hunting in the woods near Ashburn, Va.

Guy on Reddit claiming he has a source says our team name will be announced tomorrow as: "The Washington Football Team".

We'll have numbers on our helmets like Alabama. 

Not going to lie, that will be super disappointing and the most boring thing on the planet. Plus when people ask what team I root for I'm just going to repeat back "team". 

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Guy on Reddit claiming he has a source says our team name will be announced tomorrow as: "The Washington Football Team".

Not going to lie, that will be super disappointing and the most boring thing on the planet. Plus when people ask what team I root for I'm just going to repeat back "team". 

If true, that’s perfect . There’s no need to rush the permanent new name.

Have the temp name for 2020. You will then have time to get the right permanent name and secure all the trademarks, etc...

27 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If true, that’s perfect . There’s no need to rush the permanent new name.

Have the temp name for 2020. You will then have time to get the right permanent name and secure all the trademarks, etc...

Never heard anything about it not being permanent. 

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

we really will be Alabama North. Roll Burgundy Tide. 

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Thats awful.  Might as well just name the team “scared leadership.”  Pick an animal and lets get back to the business of winning 4-6 games a year.  

25 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

On the Reddit thread the OP claimed it WAS a placeholder for 2020. The OP also sid he didn't like it either and said it would be announced today.

I hope it's a placeholder if this is actually happening. 

The numbers on the helmet actually seems cool, but the damn name is going to irritate me lol.

I’ve taken some time away from the board to really just let my mind go free and roam wherever it may roam.  I’ve seen Red Wolves bring thrown around so many times and I must stay it’s kinda sticking.  I say that to say this.  After contemplating in my head 56 million times what would be the coolest name possible I have come to one final conclusion..............

The Red Foxx’s

boom.

612878EB-E23E-44BD-BBE3-A2C98AF421BE.jpeg

Bring back the name of one of the most storied sports franchises in all of DC sports lore - Washington Bullets.  Fitting, because it’s what so many fans have thought about using on their TV’s at the end of so many games since DS’s ownership.  

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I hope it's a placeholder if this is actually happening. 

The numbers on the helmet actually seems cool, but the damn name is going to irritate me lol.

I'm all in on no logo, a W or the player's number on the helmet. They can do that this year and not rush to a nickname. When they have one, you can keep the helmet and just add a logo to midfield. 

13 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

Bring back the name of one of the most storied sports franchises in all of DC sports lore - Washington Bullets.  Fitting, because it’s what so many fans have thought about using on their TV’s at the end of so many games since DS’s ownership.  

NBA and Ted still own the rights to that. They still sell Bullets gear at the arena. It's insane.

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Washington Football Team..even as a placeholder, why not just call it Football Club?

Ugh, just whatever.  

I'll take the temporary placeholder over a stupid name (Generals, Monuments, Sentinels) and rushed logo/uniforms (any of the recent abominations from TB, Seattle, etc). Take your time, get it right.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I'll take the temporary placeholder over a stupid name (Generals, Monuments, Sentinels) and rushed logo/uniforms (any of the recent abominations from TB, Seattle, etc). Take your time, get it right.

I'm fine with a placeholder name, too...but Washington Football Team is kinda weird and bland.  And I know I'm arguing about a temporary name but Football Club just sounds better.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm fine with a placeholder name, too...but Washington Football Team is kinda weird and bland.  And I know I'm arguing about a temporary name but Football Club just sounds better.

You know what is sweet though? The Nationals gold-trimmed World Series jerseys. Oops...is that off topic? My bad...

join us...

join us...
join us...

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

You know what is sweet though? The Nationals gold-trimmed World Series jerseys. Oops...is that off topic? My bad...

join us...

join us...
join us...

I don't have any ill-will towards the Nats and I was happy they won it all last year, it's just not the team I grew up rooting for.  And I refuse to jump on a bandwagon because they're closer than my favorite team.  I don't really care for the DMV area to begin with, the fact that they represent the city is irrelevant to me.

Anyway, the longer this goes on, the more I think we end up with a placeholder name for this season...if there is a season.

I hope that the team is looking at social media and gauging what the fans want, too.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hope that the team is looking at social media and gauging what the fans want, too.  

Yes. It looks like Red Wolves has staying power. It's still popular, more popular than any other name. That important--those organic, fan-generated responses build an identity and an identification with the team. Not to go back to the well, but an annoying ear-worm of a song became the theme song of a title run--and I'm almost in my mid-40s, doing the damned shark-clap. It worked not because it was "cool"--quite the opposite--but because it was natural, organic, and fan-centric.

IF it really is the Washington Football Team, then that means there is still hope for Redwolves! It would make sense that we have a placeholder ESPECIALLY for this time period. COVID-19 cancelling the preseason, and if the COVID-19 spreads in the league, they might shorten and cancel the season anyway. No point in putting in a new permanent name if they won't use it as much. If they give the fans the chance to speak up for the new name for NEXT year, this give Redwolves more power! And probably more time to negotiate with Arkansas State.

Archived