Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Maybe completely moving on from [American Indian ties] is an easier rebrand, in a way, because I think it’s a very difficult thing to do when you’re appropriating from another culture or ethnicity,” McDaniel said.

Lisa Delpy Neirotti, director of the sport management master’s program at George Washington University, added that a new identity won’t be a big problem if Washington starts to win again.

“The big thing is, if the team can win, everyone forgets. Who cares what the name is if my team can win?” Delpy Neirotti said. “So I really think winning can cure all. But in this case, since they haven’t been winning, I think Dan still has that image of that name having this whole championship aura. But they haven’t won for so long that now is a good time to make this change.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/7/redskins-name-change-how-warriors-redhawks-and-red/

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Problem with National Harbor is no Metro. 

I have no idea how they get metro out there. 

Extend yellow line out into Maryland?  I live next to the Huntington Station, I guessing the end section is underground, so maybe bore and turn the tunnel east towards National Habor?  

Seeing if Purple line can get extended further south might be safer bet.  But not nearly as safe as just going back to the RFK site where they belong. 

DC Mayor and Norton basically putting it out there that soon as name is changed they gonna fight like hell to get us back in DC. Maryland can't compete with that, neither can Virginia.

I think the name is a barrier to gaining fans, but changing the name won’t actually expand the fanbase itself. 

I think growing the fans is 80% becoming a functional franchise, not an embarrassment on and off the field, and getting back to winning consistently and playing exciting football and in big games. Having a bona fide superstar would help a lot. 

The other 20% is fan experience at the stadium, community engagement by the team, improving the local media quality, Snyder either being quiet or becoming less of an asshole, and eliminating the shady **** like internal turf fights and pimping out the cheerleaders. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I have no idea how they get metro out there. 

They can’t, which is why it’s a problem and it would be a huge mistake to put a stadium there. 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the name is a barrier to gaining fans, but changing the name won’t actually expand the fanbase itself. 

I think growing the fans is 80% becoming a functional franchise, not an embarrassment on and off the field, and getting back to winning consistently and playing exciting football and in big games. Having a bona fide superstar would help a lot. 

The other 20% is fan experience at the stadium, community engagement by the team, improving the local media quality, Snyder either being quiet or becoming less of an asshole, and eliminating the shady **** like internal turf fights and pimping out the cheerleaders. 

I agree, a functional franchise does wonders. As a kid, thinking the late 70s and through the 80s, most people in my area SE Wisconsin, were Bears fan, I’m closer to Chicago then Green Bay. Most people I knew, liked other teams besides the Packers. A good chunk of NW Wisconsin we’re Vikings fans. The Packers were in a similar position that Washington is in, except I think Washington is in a worse spot. That changed with the right GM, coach and QB who needed a chance (Favre) and once the Packers started winning (25 years worth) and changed franchise attitude, it’s more rare for someone like me to not be a fan in the entire state. I don’t believe in secondary teams, so even with a name change, I will be sticking around for the Washington Whatevers.

Imagery isn't color scheme. We just won't be using the logo, any spear or feather imagery etc. when this is all said and done. Puts a damper on "warriors" probably which imo is a good thing. We need something completely different. I hope a marketing firm gets Snyder and Rivera off of this "honoring NA and military" track. 

Whoever was hoping for a minor name change that still fit the existing logo and fight song, I don't see how that happens now. The NFL isn't gonna finally witness Snyder on the cliff's edge of an inevitable name change and then let him ignore the wishes and communications of Native American leaders. It would look terrible. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imagery isn't color scheme. We just won't be using the logo, any spear or feather imagery etc. when this is all said and done. Puts a damper on "warriors" probably which imo is a good thing. We need something completely different. I hope a marketing firm gets Snyder and Rivera off of this "honoring NA and military" track. 

Whoever was hoping for a minor name change that still fit the existing logo and fight song, I don't see how that happens now. The NFL isn't gonna finally witness Snyder on the cliff's edge of an inevitable name change and then let him ignore the wishes and communications of Native American leaders. It would look terrible. 

They want the color scheme changed too. Shows how irrational the whole argument is. I really want something Native themed, signed off by Natives so Harjo and Blackhorse can **** right off.

God that letter pissed me off. Greedy, irrational, whiney ****s.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They want the color scheme changed too. Shows how irrational the whole argument is. I really want something Native themed, signed off by Natives so Harjo and Blackhorse can **** right off.

God that letter pissed me off. Greedy, irrational, whiney ****s.

Soo you only want to hear from the Native Americans who say what you want them to say, otherwise they can "**** right off". You'd like to hear from the ones who will sign off on what you want or their opinion is worth nothing on the topic.

But they're the ones who are irrational and whiney. Interesting take.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Soo you only want to hear from the Native Americans who say what you want them to say, otherwise they can "**** right off". You'd like to hear from the ones who will sign off on what you want or their opinion is worth nothing on the topic.

So you think crying about the color scheme is OK?

I've long believed its a vocal, irrational minority, who doesn't care to hear anything any one says to the contrary. This is just more evidence. They got what they wanted and are now asking for more.

what will happen first if the name is changed? Intentional and strategic announcement of new name OR a inside source leaks the name to the media? i am leaning a lot towards a leak happening before any announcement.

2 minutes ago, slinky said:

what will happen first if the name is changed? Intentional and strategic announcement of new name OR a inside source leaks the name to the media? i am leaning a lot towards a leak happening before any announcement.

Leak to gague the public reaction. Its a Snyder staple.

21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Point number 3 is just ridiculous. 

The Washington Post knows polling. They aren't amateurs and it is safe to say that organization wished the result was the exact opposite. 

The 2004 Annenberg Poll was the only one that had ever been conducted in decades! Of course folks will refer to both.

I am surprised they didn't point out the scholarly article by Ives Goddard of the Smithsonian, "I am Redskin" which details the etymology of the word 

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/31970/Goddard_Red-skin_Euro review NA studies_2005.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

1 minute ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I am surprised they didn't point out the scholarly article by Ives Goddard of the Smithsonian, "I am Redskin" which details the etymology of the word

Why would they? They don't want a discussion of facts. They want to push the emotional buttons and get their narrative out.

Fryberg signing the letter raises serious questions about her impartiality of her study.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly.

No, seriously.  What facts? Who's pushing emoyional buttons? Who's trying to get what narrative out?

Is this an emotional button for you? A white person rooting for a football team? Or are you talking about a group of historically marginalized people that are bothered by something they view as derogatory? Something that impacts them on a personal level?

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

No, seriously.  What facts? Who's pushing emoyional buttons? Who's trying to get what narrative out?

Is this an emotional button for you? A white person rooting for a football team? Or are you talking about a group of historically marginalized people that are bothered by something they view as derogatory?

Take a look at the link I posted. Using a known falsity in a court case? That "redksins = scalps" spread--driven by Harjo--so much that Jerry Brewer used it in an article last week or so. Thats a fact-based argument?

The invalidation of the polls, while the co-author of a counter poll is one of the signers of that document doesn't raise any questions for you? There's no personal gain in that?

And no one seems to want to give a voice to those that like the name. Even FLORIO posted a poll that showed the feeling most associated with Redskins was pride. Literally no one, save for one post article, seemed to want to interview them? Is that telling the whole story, or just the story that will inflame the most passions?

Like most emotional, political arguments, its based on half-truths and populist arguments, like "talking about a group of historically marginalized people that are bothered by something they view as derogatory." Or associating it with the N-word, which is wholly ridiculous. 

Im not saying there aren't people offended or that they don't count. But they shouldn't be the only ones who count. But in today's society, being "offended" is infallible. 

Its all moot, now, they got what they wanted, and like most, aren't satisfied.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So if the people who are offended count, and have unequivocally told you in so many ways, that this is a racial slur, then should it stay or should it go?

Well, it's going so...

And your response is exactly my point, you only want to listen to those who are offended, no matter how small the minority or what anyone else has to say. That has been my biggest issue with this argument the entire time. Of everything else I wrote, you focused on that one sentence.

Offense is infallible. 

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Leak to gague the public reaction. Its a Snyder staple.

that’s a pretty standard tactic across the board. Snyder’s has a few gaffes that went the complete opposite direction. Remember when the “sellout streak“ was still going and the ticket office emailed partial season ticket offers to waiting list members? The team tried to back out after the PR disaster by claiming it was an internal proposal that was accidentally published, but that didn’t explain why a team that had sold out every game since 1968 was considering partial season ticket plans.

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, it's going so...

And your response is exactly my point, you only want to listen to those who are offended, no matter how small the minority or what anyone else has to say. That has been my biggest issue with this argument the entire time. Of everything else I wrote, you focused on that one sentence.

Offense is infallible. 

How would you measure it? Give the exact percentage who would need to be reasonably offended for you to care, since the current percentage (whatever it is) isn't enough. 40%? Half? 75%? When do other peoples' opinions start mattering more than yours? 

Ahhh, so once again it's being made very clear changing the name is not enough.  If the name and use of the imagery has been the issue for them up to now...changing them both should be enough.  Picking on the color scheme is just taking it to ridiculous lengths.      

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How would you measure it? Give the exact percentage who would need to be reasonably offended for you to care, since the current percentage (whatever it is) isn't enough. 40%? Half? 75%? When do other peoples' opinions start mattering more than yours? 

28.7%. Give or take a couple of percentage points. 

Thats last is a good question, when are you going start?

Archived