Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

During the USPTO hearings the plaintiffs produced a list of 24 or 25 tribes condemning the name. There are 566 Federally registered tribes...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

found it. in 2006, there were 5 native americans representing 4 tribes who brought the case.......... "Five Native Americans, representing four tribes, brought the case against the league in 2006."

""Petitioners have found a preponderance of evidence that a substantial amount of Native Americans found the term Redskins to be disparaging when used in connection with professional football,"

how is 'substantial' defined? and what is the evidence?

interesting stuff, there. 

funny- look at the comments section (about which i generally say "do NOT look!"). look at the comments and responses to a fella named "josh cook".

dude gets schooled. after giving out the usual BS arguments. he gives up. didnt see one single comment in support of his false arguments. 

very encouraging. 

Wow, DS likes to tout being balanced, or at least not too slanted unlike Fox, yet they are majorly slanted on this issue. No NA fans interviewed, and they use a surprise attack after lying to team fans and bring in activists and an extremist like Harjo, none of whom represent the majority, likely to try and push the idea that they do represent the majority. 

Way to sell the liberal agenda Jon.

I suggest people flood their twitter page

Wow, DS likes to tout being balanced, or at least not too slanted unlike Fox, yet they are majorly slanted on this issue. No NA fans interviewed, and they use a surprise attack after lying to team fans and bring in activists and an extremist like Harjo, none of whom represent the majority, likely to try and push the idea that they do represent the majority. 

Way to sell the liberal agenda Jon.

I suggest people flood their twitter page

I mean the episode hasn't aired yet, so we don't know which way the producers will spin it.

I'd love for them to just clown the whole thing about how stupid it is, but when you have conservative douchenozzles backing our side I can guess it won't be spun that way. We will find out soon enough and hopefully they don't hit us too hard.

I mean the episode hasn't aired yet, so we don't know which way the producers will spin it.

I'd love for them to just clown the whole thing about how stupid it is, but when you have conservative douchenozzles backing our side I can guess it won't be spun that way. We will find out soon enough and hopefully they don't hit us too hard.

It's going to go like every other Jason Jones bit. Redskins fans will say their piece while Jason Jones is subtly mocking them, then the NA activists will come in and they'll show Redskins fans all shocked and the whole idea pushed forth will back the liberal agenda that the name is blatantly racist and those supporting it are idiots. 

If you've read my posts you know I'm sympathetic to those wanting to change the name and personally on the fence. Truth is I don't really value a team name all that much, for me it's about it being my home town team. I have a major problem with the dishonest way Native Americans pushing for the change try get around the fact that they are a slim minority of their own race/culture. They refuse to directly respond, sometimes claim they aren't vastly out numbered, and it looks like the daily show set them up to out number their more numerous counter parts which further pushes the theme. They are just going to pretend it isn't what it is. Simply saying **** and acting like others simply have to accept obvious bull**** as truth annoys the hell out of me.

In addition to the numbers issue they refuse to acknowledge the actual origin of the word or provide any researched and factual defense of their version. At some point that too becomes essentially another lie. There is too much dishonesty from that side of the debate for my liking and it's making it harder to sympathize.

I have a major problem with the dishonest way Native Americans pushing for the change try get around the fact that they are a slim majority of their own race/culture. .....

Very confusing. Not sure you are being dishonest yourself here or typed this up wrong. Last reported number I've heard is that only tiny minority within the Native American community oppose the name.

If you've read my posts you know I'm sympathetic to those wanting to change the name and personally on the fence. Truth is I don't really value a team name all that much, for me it's about it being my home town team. I have a major problem with the dishonest way Native Americans pushing for the change try get around the fact that they are a slim minority of their own race/culture. They refuse to directly respond, sometimes claim they aren't vastly out numbered, and it looks like the daily show set them up to out number their more numerous counter parts which further pushes the theme. They are just going to pretend it isn't what it is. Simply saying **** and acting like others simply have to accept obvious bull**** as truth annoys the hell out of me.

In addition to the numbers issue they refuse to acknowledge the actual origin of the word or provide any researched and factual defense of their version. At some point that too becomes essentially another lie. There is too much dishonesty from that side of the debate for my liking and it's making it harder to sympathize.

i think i might have shed a tear reading this post. 

an 'on the fence' fan seeing exactly what i see, frustrated by the same things im frustrated by. 

almost makes me feel sane again. thanks for the post, des. 

this has become it for me in a nut shell really.  I would be willing to accept change if the majority of Native Americans were truly offended by the name for good reasons.  I really would, but the problem I have is that it appears that numbers and facts are not on their side...so the changers are just going to spread lies, half-truths, and bizarre interpretations of history to try and force the change anyway. The correlations and connections they are trying to make don't even make sense half the time.  

Their whole argument is essentially, Native Americans have been treated poorly since the white man landed...therefore Native American mascots are racist.  I really wonder if the changers are not just trying to exact some measure of revenge on American society for the wrongs done them...and they think this is the most obvious way they can hurt us.  By taking things we love away from us...whether they are really truly offended by them or not.  I really wonder if some of the changers really care one iota about Native mascots, but they know this is a way to draw attention to themselves and their plight.  

The problem is, and I said this on Facebook to the ones I converse with.  They are turning off a lot of people who would be allies with them in righting social and historical wrongs.  We are not their enemy...but they are treating us like we are.  Native themed teams could be used as mediums to raise awareness of the plight of Natives in this country.  Instead, if they eventually force change, their victory will be a shallow one and they will have accomplished nothing of real value.

Archived