Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Yeah I got it wrong. He said Football Team. Same difference I guess and yes it was awkward. He sounded like he was trying too hard.

Not smooth at all. There are some guys, like James Brown, who pull it off naturally. But I think he just says all of the cities instead of the team names. So Dallas vs. Washington instead of Cowboys vs. Redskins. That is the classy way to do it if you are going that way.

It was like Mort committed to saying "coach of the Washington (something)" and half way through it realized he couldn't say Redskins.

Did you see that article is from February?  Old news.

Oh, no I didn't.  It actually showed up in a facebook feed today for some reason. Thanks for pointing the date out.

Looked at it again - it showed up because it was related to this story from today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senator-strip-nfl-tax-exempt-status-league-won-push-washington-team-change-article-1.1941751

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, no I didn't.  It actually showed up in a facebook feed today for some reason. Thanks for pointing the date out.

Looked at it again - it showed up because it was related to this story from today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senator-strip-nfl-tax-exempt-status-league-won-push-washington-team-change-article-1.1941751

Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, that makes sense.

It just still gets on my nerves.  All of these real issues and real problems facing this country, this world, and the name of a football team is what congress decides to take on.  What a joke.  Eff them.  I hope these wankers all lose their jobs.

So if all the recent craziness around the league has proved something, it's that the Redskins name really isn't as big of a deal as people in the media would like you to think.

Look at all the Ray Rice outcry. People wanting Goodell to lose his job. Women threatening boycotts. Constant 24/7 talk about it a week later.

Now the AP story. You have Radisson who already pulled their sponsorship. You also have Anheiser-Busch, McDonald's, Visa and Campbell's Soup all sending letters to the league telling them how they are monitoring the situations closely and are not happy.

None of that has happened with the Redskins name. Not one league or team sponsor has said they were thinking about or are pulling sponsorship.

So if all the recent craziness around the league has proved something, it's that the Redskins name really isn't as big of a deal as people in the media would like you to think.

Look at all the Ray Rice outcry. People wanting Goodell to lose his job. Women threatening boycotts. Constant 24/7 talk about it a week later.

Now the AP story. You have Radisson who already pulled their sponsorship. You also have Anheiser-Busch, McDonald's, Visa and Campbell's Soup all sending letters to the league telling them how they are monitoring the situations closely and are not happy.

None of that has happened with the Redskins name. Not one league or team sponsor has said they were thinking about or are pulling sponsorship.

Bro...I just came in to say the same thing. 

Another example...as soon as the Sterling tapes leaked, companies like Kia, Virgin Airlines, etc. ALL pulled sponsorship from the Clippers. 

Bro...I just came in to say the same thing. 

Another example...as soon as the Sterling tapes leaked, companies like Kia, Virgin Airlines, etc. ALL pulled sponsorship from the Clippers. 

Exactly. Haven't heard a peep from the sponsors regarding the Redskins name.

You know you're in trouble as a league/team when sponsors start pulling out or sending you letters. The only sponsor I believe that said anything was FedEx and they basically said it's a Dan Snyder issue.

Exactly. Haven't heard a peep from the sponsors regarding the Redskins name.

You know you're in trouble as a league/team when sponsors start pulling out or sending you letters. The only sponsor I believe that said anything was FedEx and they basically said it's a Dan Snyder issue.

Makes me believe that behind closed doors, a lot of people can see through the charade that the media is trying to push.  Which is a good thing. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/nfl-owners-are-asked-to-force-redskins-owner-dan-snyder-to-change-teams-name/2014/09/15/cfcd58ce-3d18-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) announced Tuesday that she will introduce legislation to eliminate the NFL’s tax-exempt status because of its refusal to address the name of the Washington Redskins.

Flanked by several tribal chiefs, Cantwell, who is the former chair of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, condemned the team’s name as a slur against Native Americans.

“The NFL needs to join the rest of Americans in the 21st century,” she said. “It is about right and wrong.”

So, accroding to Sen Cantwell, "the rest of Americans" think the name Redskins is offensive, even though every poll indicates a majority are clearly not offended? No wonder these wingbats have approval ratings worse than E-Coli....

Makes me believe that behind closed doors, a lot of people can see through the charade that the media is trying to push.  Which is a good thing.

It has to do with the fact that a large group of native Americans support and use the mascots at their own schools. It doesn't take a brilliant man to figure out something isn't offensive if the people who are supposed to be offended by it aren't offended lol.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/nfl-owners-are-asked-to-force-redskins-owner-dan-snyder-to-change-teams-name/2014/09/15/cfcd58ce-3d18-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html

So, accroding to Sen Cantwell, "the rest of Americans" think the name Redskins is offensive, even though every poll indicates a majority are clearly not offended? No wonder these wingbats have approval ratings worse than E-Coli....

Isn't what she's doing technically extortion? I'm no law expert and I could be wrong but something definitely seems off about that threat...

To me, the obvious reason the 'big players' didn't withdrawal support is because they are not run by nitwits.

Seriously, multi billion dollar industries gonna waiver on 10-20% support on an issue. And isolate the vast majority of 'those supposed to be offended' and everyday fans.

Why would sponsors want to align with the losing side

Not necessarily true...domestic violence is a sensitive issue in the US so it's no surprise people are up in arms about Rice and AP. Plus the Native American population is not big enough for any of their problems to matter on the national scale. Now you get a video of some Caucasians harassing a Native American and calling him a redskin then we have a problem.

If possible please post in OP: All Redskins fan sign they need 313 more signatures Petition to Remove Phil Simms from any future Redskins' broadcasts

Link: https://www.change.org/p/cbs-remove-phil-simms-from-any-future-redskins-broadcasts

:lol: ... last night (Thursday Night Football - Atlanta vs. Tampa Bay) Devon Hester broke Deion Sanders record for most career return TD's (20), and so Simms stated that he never went against Sanders as CB, but then started to say that there was one person he would not throw to in coverage. That person being Darrell Green. He started it out by saying "When we would play the Washington Redskins..."

:rolleyes:

Now you get a video of some Caucasians harassing a Native American and calling him a redskin then we have a problem.

Don't give Harjo any ideas lol...after seeing the swift response from sponsors after the Ray Rice video showed up, watch there suddenly be a video taken on someone's iPhone of two NAs being called "redskins" by someone off camera.

Simms stated that he never went against Sanders as CB, but then started to say that there was one person he would not throw to in coverage. That person being Darrell Green. He started it out by saying "When we would play the Washington Redskins..."

:rolleyes:

I came in here to post this. He must said the name Redskins at least 4 or five times.

Via Steinberg's Twitter, This will be fun...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-daily-show-springs-showdown-with-native-americans-on-redskins-fans/2014/09/19/c6c5f936-3f73-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html?wpmk=MK0000203

The Daily Show springs tense showdown with Native Americans on Redskins fans

The four die-hard Redskins fans thought the opportunity was as golden as the vintage helmets of their favorite football team: “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” wanted them to appear on the Comedy Central program to defend the team’s name, which has been under relentless attack.

The Redskins Nation citizens eagerly signed up, most of them knowing they might get mocked in their interview with correspondent Jason Jones. But several hours into the Sept. 13 taping of the yet-to-air episode, the fans, all from Virginia, said they were suddenly confronted by a larger group of Native American activists — all of whom were in on the showdown prearranged by “The Daily Show.”

The encounter at a Dupont Circle hotel was so tense that an Alexandria fan said she left in tears and felt so threatened that she later called the police. She has told “The Daily Show” to leave her out of the segment but doesn’t know whether the producers will comply.

Well, that'll make things interesting.

I'm sure there won't be much spin on it. Hopefully the people they selected to represent Redskins fans aren't inept and can think on their feet. Knowing the Daily Show, they won't be. They'll make Redskins fans look like racists I'm sure. Great!

Oh no doubt, but I almost feel like any of our fellow fans who would be willing to go on The Daily Show gets what's coming to 'em. How can you be that dumb? 

Well, that'll make things interesting.

I'm sure there won't be much spin on it. Hopefully the people they selected to represent Redskins fans aren't inept and can think on their feet. Knowing the Daily Show, they won't be. They'll make Redskins fans look like racists I'm sure. Great!

I'm sure it'll be treated even handedly. I'd ask them why only 4.5% of Federally Registered tribes signed a petition against the name. I'd ask why there are so many native schools that have the name Redskins. Or why the DOI secretary found very few chiefs cared about the name...

I'd force the honest debate that is so lacking...

Archived