Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

It will be interesting to see how they portray the issue, its just instinctive in me to assume they will be bashing Snyder and the Redskins.  Although this is probably how it will play out regardless of balance.   There is just to much red meat, there.

But honestly I am not as concerned with how relevant or important their opinions are, but more on how their themes tend to become very popular in our culture around my age group.  Random people are already continually bringing this issue up, as if they are personally offended, whenever the name redskin gets spoken in casual conversation.    

Hard to see how this South Park episode wont make this problem worse, but hey maybe like some people said they will make some good points on the other side and shut some people up, instead of opening up their mouths. 

"Nobody can hurt me without my permission."

~ Gandhi

Better ban all the teams, because if you stigmatize just MY kid by saying he's wearing or supporting racism, i will sue the **** out of the school.

~Bang

Right behind you. This is getting ridiculous.

I'd take my chances. 

I don't see how it could be so open and shut.

~Bang

Because the cause of action you named -  "being singled out" - does not exist.

Do you really want a complex analysis of this? Because I can do it, and it would be really boring.

Generally speaking, "Redskins fan" is not a protected class, and schools have huge leeway in determining dress codes. They can more or less be arbitrary as long as they can make a reasonable argument. And reasonability is a pretty low bar to clear. No court is going to care about Smithsonian articles and Joe Harjo's finances when determining reasonability.

Because the cause of action you named -  "being singled out" - does not exist.

Do you really want a complex analysis of this? Because I can do it, and it would be really boring.

Generally speaking, "Redskins fan" is not a protected class, and schools have huge leeway in determining dress codes. They can more or less be arbitrary as long as they can make a reasonable argument. And reasonability is a pretty low bar to clear. No court is going to care about Smithsonian articles and Joe Harjo's finances when determining reasonability.

well, i never said my kid was "singled out" unless he's the only one in the school who is punished.

What i did say was that if you ban one, ban them all, because wse are so sensitive to stigmatizing kids that we bend over backwards to make every single little thing in their lives fair, and i do not see how explaining to a kid how his NFL shirt is offensive and anther is not is really doing anything in that regard.

And, I would also not just say "you singled my kid out"./

I'd do it the way all lawyers do. 

I will find a psychologist to build my bull**** case by describing how isolated and stigmatized his shirt ban made him feel, especially since the Buffalo Bills fan kid is still walking around with an homage to a genocidal maniac and human exploiter on his shirt. My lawyer will find all sorts of things to make this argument beyond "you singled my kid out"

It's not going to be about the shirt, It's going to be about how this crusade has 'damaged' my kid.

And no judge is going to summarily dismiss a claim like that,,   at least without fear of reprisals..   if Harjo can play the Kardashian Kulture Kard, so can I. A judge picking on a child over his NFL t-shirt? got to be somebody somewhere that would take that story.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. My kid is not in school anymore, and is a legal adult who can say "F you, I have a right to free speech". and wear his shirt.

Ultimately, I doubt it would matter. But given how idiotic schools typically are in implementing their policies, by the time we were done, every sports shirt would be banned, because it's easier to justify saying no to all than saying no to some.

and then we'd have some stink, wouldn't we?

~Bang

I will find a psychologist to build my bull**** case by describing how isolated and stigmatized his shirt ban made him feel, especially since the Buffalo Bills fan kid is still walking around with an homage to a genocidal maniac and human exploiter on his shirt.

That's the way cases are made on ABC sitcoms but not actually in the real world.

Still..... good luck to you.

And you'd likely have to pay your lawyer out of pocket. Good luck finding one who'll take the case for free, the way most big civil rights rulings have begun. 

Not bing a handout-seeking type, this is a given.

~Bang

That's the way cases are made on ABC sitcoms but not actually in the real world.

Still..... good luck to you.

well, thanks for not being condescending or anything.

~Barf

Archived