Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Did some digging. Will do some more,but it appears that the Redskins Merchandise sales have trending down for a bit now. Looks like since about the middle of last year. Go figure.

Graph it with pre rgiii. I would bet that they spiked when he was drafted and we won the NFC east then started to go back to normal levels during last season.

I guess the next question is about the next generation of fandom.

You know those eight, nine, ten year olds about to pick their team.  I picked mine because it was the local team and it certainly didn't hurt that Gibbs was just emerging on the scene, but I wonder how the name story impacts the kids.  Certainly, they don't know the history and they're unlikely to do real research or any really.

Kids might hear bad stuff about the name and turn off.  Most kids want to be associated with the good guys or at least a winner.

Graph it with pre rgiii. I would bet that they spiked when he was drafted and we won the NFC east then started to go back to normal levels during last season.

Yep. Looks that way. 

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/12/18/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/RG3-Jersey.aspx

Keeping in mind too that according to Forbes,attendance to Redskins games dropped 2400 per game last season. 

I must admit.  I'm pumping my brakes buying any more merch.  I'm pro-name.  But I also think this isn't going away and the name will be changed.

Sucks.  Cus this time of year, I always try to buy some fresh gear.

That would be called an investment.

Think about it.

I guess the next question is about the next generation of fandom.

You know those eight, nine, ten year olds about to pick their team.  I picked mine because it was the local team and it certainly didn't hurt that Gibbs was just emerging on the scene, but I wonder how the name story impacts the kids.  Certainly, they don't know the history and they're unlikely to do real research or any really.

Kids might hear bad stuff about the name and turn off.  Most kids want to be associated with the good guys or at least a winner.

If that is the case, why are the Cowboys still called America's team ?

Also, I think you have a misunderstanding of kids.

Cowboys brand is not based on the kids really.

While a Washington team spokesman claims the drop in merchandise had more to do with the team's 3-13 record last season, other teams with lackluster records haven't experienced such a sales slump. 

The spokesman might have a point.  I've always bought Redskins merchandise up until recently.  It has nothing to do with the name because I still wear my Redskin shirts.  I told myself I wasn't going to purchase anymore merchandise until the team shows me something on the field, because I was so disgusted by the events of last year.  If they come out and have a good season, I'm sure it'll light a spark in the coming months and I'll find some Redskin things to purchase.

While a Washington team spokesman claims the drop in merchandise had more to do with the team's 3-13 record last season, other teams with lackluster records haven't experienced such a sales slump. 

And it might have to do with the fact that they're comparing the sales against last year, when RG3 jersey sales were at a record.

The spokesman might have a point.  I've always bought Redskins merchandise up until recently.  It has nothing to do with the name because I still wear my Redskin shirts.  I told myself I wasn't going to purchase anymore merchandise until the team shows me something on the field, because I was so disgusted by the events of last year.  If they come out and have a good season, I'm sure it'll light a spark in the coming months and I'll find some Redskin things to purchase.

the only stuff that I have been buying is the historical stuff.  Super Bowl pennants, plaques, collectibles, stuff like that.  I want to get a new jersey, but I have not decided on who yet.  I only like the authentic jerseys, so when I buy one it's a big deal.

The Redskins haven't won a football game since the first week of November 2013. This team had the 2nd worst record in the NFL last year.

I don't understand why this is so hard.

it's so hard because they are so desperate to force this change they are spinning anything they can to reflect negatively on the name.

From Califan's link:

"Personally, I think we would never consider naming a team the 'Blackskins' or the 'Brownskins' or the 'Whiteskins.' So, personally, I find it surprising that in this day and age, the name is not different," Jewell, who heads the department that includes the Bureau of Indian Affairs, told ABC News' David Kerley when asked whether the name should be changed.

I find the whole "brownskins" etc argument particularly tiresome.  These are words that as far as I know do not exist outside of the team name debate.

Because having Native Americans as team mascots is the only way we can keep from forgetting about them? Right. I think we need some Black, Asian and Latino themed names as well, otherwise how are we going to remember any of them either?

And give me a break, it's not like rooting for any of those teams honestly makes most fans take a sudden interest in Native Americans. If you're really worried about their traditions being lost, visit real resources like cultural centers and museums. Don't watch a football game and pretend like you're doing them some big favor. 

Ivan Dozier, who currently portrays Chief Illiniwek, said that officially retiring the mascot was the wrong way for the university to respond. He believes that Native American mascots are a way to reach and educate an audience that wouldn’t normally be knowledgeable about Native American culture or history. “What concerns me is if you eliminate all references to Native American culture, people aren’t asking questions anymore,” he said. “Sports fans here are the vocal majority. They’re the ones who need this information the most, and now they have no way to go about getting it.”

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-2128-native-american-mascots-people-arent-talking-about/

The U.S. Secretary of the Interior says that in her travels to reservations the name issue has not been brought up. She goes on to say that many people on reservations have pride in the team and the name.

"It isn't high on their agenda."

- Sally Jewell, United States Secretary of the Interior

Clearly she was paid off by Dan Snyder to say these outlandish things.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder didn't create the article considering that there will likely be a spike in merchandise sales.

In mid 2012 the Redskins led the league in merchandise sales. In fact, the RGIII jerseys pushed the sales bottom line up 250%.  That burgundy #10 jersey was the hottest selling shirt in the free world.

In 2013 the team was horrible, the QB was struggling and the coach couldn't wait to quit. So a 35% sales decline doesn't sound all that bad.

Again, this is another tactic to make news rather than report it.

When the name eventually changes, simple solution: keep the logo and rename them the Washington Braves. You keep the franchise's original name and it's a happy medium.

There are going to be some Nats fans with some serious cognitive dissonance issues if the Redskins become the Braves.

When the name eventually changes, simple solution: keep the logo and rename them the Washington Braves. You keep the franchise's original name and it's a happy medium.

The name changers want it all gone, and that includes the logo. These freaks even want old videos and photographs struck from NFL archives. What's next? Taking out Sammy's bust in the HOF?

It;s madness.

Archived