Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I got into an argument at work during lunch today with a Falcons fan 

I think a big reason why this hasn't gone away has a lot to do with the laziness of the general populous.  

People get their opinions from mass media and the end of free thinkers is at hand. 

Idiocracy is upon us. 

Washington Maroons? 

Pottsville Maroons
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Boston Bulldogs (NFL)" redirects here. For the Boston Bulldogs team that competed in the first American Football League, see Boston Bulldogs (AFL).
Pottsville Maroons – Boston Bulldogs 128px-Pottsville_Maroons.png Founded 1920 Folded 1929 Based in PottsvillePennsylvania (1920–1928)
BostonMassachusetts (1929)
United States League Independent (1920–23)
Anthracite League (1924)
National Football League (1925–1929) Team History Pottsville Eleven (1920–24)
Pottsville Maroons (1924–29)
Boston Bulldogs (1929) Team Colors Maroon, White, Gold
               Head coaches Dick Rauch (1925–27, 1929)
Pete Henry (1928) Owner(s) Yorkville Hose Company (1920–1922)
Kingsbury, Heinz & Schoeneman (1923)
John G. Streigel (1924–28)
George Kenneally (1929) NFL Championship wins None
(1925 NFL title claimed by Pottsville. Not recognized by NFL.) Other League Championship wins 1924
Anthracite League title Home field(s) Minersville Park Fan Website www.pottsvillemaroons1925.com

The Pottsville Maroons were an American football team based inPottsville, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1920, they played in theNational Football League (NFL) from 1925 to 1928. In 1929 they relocated to Boston, where they played one season as the Boston Bulldogs.

Bulldogs? 

Chieftains. Not race specific or even nationality specific. Could be a big mish mash of culture-influenced symbolism without specifically being from any one culture. Or, I suppose, we could offend even more cultures. Not sure, but I do want to see a burgundy and gold tartan. Doubt it could fly being so close to the Chiefs but it's a good alternative for them anyway, when this storm blows their way.

In 1939 Chief Henry Standing Bear wrote a letter to the prolific sculptor Ziolkowski stating, “My fellow chiefs and I would like the white man to know that the red man has great heroes, too.”

I'm Hispanic and you've offended me by associating me with one of Cleveland's awful teams. How dare you?!

Now imagine if they only served Hispanic fair, played Hispanic music and dance to Miami sound machine during halftime, now that would be an insult, lol. I would love the beer and food, hot chica's though. 

Welcome to Calaveras High School!
Home of the Redskins

i don't know that analogy.. when i think "Braves" I think Hank Aaron.    then i realize he was a long time ago, so i think Ted Turner.

And Jane Fonda. And Skip Caray. And Chipper Jones.

F the Braves.

besides, the offended don't like that one either.

i don't know that analogy.. when i think "Braves" I think Hank Aaron. then i realize he was a long time ago, so i think Ted Turner.

And Jane Fonda. And Skip Caray. And Chipper Jones.

F the Braves.

besides, the offended don't like that one either.

Our first Owner started the team as the Boston Braves and soon after renamed the team the Boston Redskins who played at Fenway Park. Marshall then moved the team to D.C. in 1937.

I do not agree with those who oppose any cultural/ethnic sport mascot. Terms like "Braves" , "Vikings", or "Celtics" are tributes.

If we can find a more respectful NA name then we get to keep our cool logo.

The argument is essentially that it is a dated and offensive term. I say this because the Oxford English Dictionary calls it a "dated and offensive term."

Definition of redskin in English:

redskin

Syllabification: red·skin

Pronunciation: /ˈredˌskin

/

noun

dated or offensive

• An American Indian.

So where does the oxford dictionary get their information from?

The unions claim to do just that lol...although anyone who has ever been in a union knows that, while there may be milions of union members, it doesn't mean those millions of people agree with what the union heads decide.

Unions elect officers, Halbritter and Harjo appointed themselves spokespersons/. 

Our first Owner started the team as the Boston Braves and soon after renamed the team the Boston Redskins who played at Fenway Park. Marshall then moved the team to D.C. in 1937.

I do not agree with those who oppose any cultural/ethnic sport mascot. Terms like "Braves" , "Vikings", or "Celtics" are tributes.

If we can find a more respectful NA name then we get to keep our cool logo.

No, we probably don't. The main NA groups leading the movement have said they want the NA theme removed from all sports teams. If we're forced to change the name, it will have to be something they find acceptable, which means no NA theme so no keeping the logo.

Our name is plenty respectful, hence the majority of NAs aren't offended by it. There are people offended by Viking and Celtics and the main NA groups against Redskins also are against Braves. 

Archived