Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

FWIW,

WCSkins310 @RedskinD  ·  10h

I asked Mr. Snyder in Denver bout the name change he told me don't worry it ain't gonna happen. #teamRedskins #HTTR pic.twitter.com/LaG7PECV44

A couple of us from ES were there that night. There was a LOUD "don't change the name" chant that started when Dan walked in up until the time when he left. It's all you could hear in that bar. That was the night that Dan chased me around the bar to have his picture taken with me. 

http://blogs.marke****ch.com/themargin/2014/05/23/redskins-mascot-still-used-at-sen-maria-cantwells-high-school/

Redskins mascot still used at Sen. Maria Cantwell’s high school

Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington state, recently circulated a letter among her fellow Democrats demanding that the Washington Redskins change their name for being offensive and disrespectful to Native Americans.

The letter has gained a fair amount of publicity.

The issue of the Redskin’s name drew the attention of President Obama last year who urged team owner Daniel Snyder to reconsider it. However, Snyder has vowed not to change the team’s name.

Cantwell told the Washington Post she was appalled during a 2013 playoff game between the Redskins and her home state’s Seattle Seahawks. According to the Post she said the presentation of Washington’s team was “just so shocking to me,” and that the Redskins were offering “a caricature of a team that is not just respected by Indian Country,” she told the paper.

Cantwell might have been shocked earlier in life. Growing up in Indianapolis, Cantwell attended Emmerich Manual High School. Perhaps not surprisingly, in a state called Indiana, in a city called Indianapolis, the school’s mascot is Indian themed. In fact, its mascot is the “Redskins.”

Cantwell later attended Miami University of Ohio, graduating in 1980.  Interestingly enough, Miami University used a “Redskins” mascot at the time.

It’s not clear whether Cantwell ever raised any objections while attending either school. Miami University dropped the logo in 1997, after a tribe that had sanctioned its use withdrew support.

At least several dozen high schools around the country still use “Redskins” as their team mascot, based on data compiled on Wikipedia. More than a dozen use the term “Braves,” as does Atlanta’s major league baseball team. The team name “Indians,” used by Cleveland’s baseball team, remains especially popular with high schools as well, with several hundred using it.

The map below identifies high schools that use terms related to Native Americans as their team mascots in states with senators who signed Cantwell’s letter.

Schools that use “Redskins” have large red locator pins.
Schools that use “Indians” have small yellow locator pins.
Schools that use “Braves” have small green locator pins.

**HIT THE LINK FOR THE GOOGLE MAP**

I thought "Redskins" was originally coined at the Boston Tea Party where tax protesters dressed up like Indians and raided the ships. If this is true then the word does not even refer to real native American Indians. Does anybody know anything about this?

I noticed after the news came out earlier this week, I didn't see one person I'm friends with on FB come out against it. I'd say I have a fairly wide range of FB from ultra conservative to ultra liberal. Redskin fans, Raven fans, Cowboy fans, etc. Not one came out saying the Skins should change their name.

A couple of us from ES were there that night. There was a LOUD "don't change the name" chant that started when Dan walked in up until the time when he left. It's all you could hear in that bar. That was the night that Dan chased me around the bar to have his picture taken with me. 

Another reason to not like Dan Snyder... :(

I noticed after the news came out earlier this week, I didn't see one person I'm friends with on FB come out against it. I'd say I have a fairly wide range of FB from ultra conservative to ultra liberal. Redskin fans, Raven fans, Cowboy fans, etc. Not one came out saying the Skins should change their name.

Are they saying it now?

OK I admit it. I admit to feeling guilt about the way we scr#w*d the American Indian over when we arrived. Maybe that makes me a liberal, or perhaps, a realist.

So, if significant numbers of Native Americans are offended by our current name, that's good enough for me. Change it.

Here's a proposed Treaty (we promise not to break) :

- Regional Native Americans select 3 (more respectful) names from your culture. Washington fans vote for the final name.

- Washington gets to keep its logo. Pl.l.l.e.e.ase! That visage depicts wisdom, strength, and ferocity. We hope our Team fights as well.

HTT?

people that wnat to change the name aren't lying, they just disagree with you.  and the ones that do so in an overly grandiose and denigrating way are jackasses that hurt their supposed cause.    but most people that want the name changed aren't that way.   

kind of what redskinsfan44 said. 

i'm seeing a couple of different justifications (when someone actually bothers to give one) for demanding a change. the main one appears to be the scalping origin of the word. other reasons dabble in low self esteem and suicide rates among native americans somehow being attributed to native american mascots.

i think there are true believers out there- harjo and blackhorse appear to be in that category. i see them as radicals whose writings and opinions come off as actual racism (some would say 'reverse racism' whatever that is). when asked about ives goddards research on the name (which calls her out by name about 3 paragraphs in), harjo essentially said 'its a white man supporting another white mans opinion. what do you expect?'

check out some of her writings. this is the face of the movement. and its nuts. 

for a guy like halbritter, its a safe bet theres a money connection or some self serving interest, given his history. 

if someone says they want all NA mascot themes gone because of cultural appropriation, its at least something. when they start talking about negative self esteem and how its somehow tied to high suicide rates on reservations, i tend to believe there are other reasons involved. when they start making up their own definitions and histories of words, i cant get behind that at all. 

(codeorama- apologies for not posting this earlier when you asked about it the other day- crazy busy week-, but this is essentially what i was talking about.)

My concern is that if the debate drags on sponsors may start to bolt and then suddenly $nyder announces a new (crappy) name AND we lose our logo.

That's why many urge Snyder to get in front of this while he still has SOME control.

I posted this on Maria's facebook page:

Are you the same Maria that went to Emmerich Manual in Indianapolis? Go Redskins!! Have you been back there to watch our Redskins in action? Glad that you are a fellow Redskin!!

now thats actually pretty funny :D

My concern is that if the debate drags on sponsors may start to bolt and then suddenly $nyder announces a new (crappy) name AND we lose our logo.

That's why many urge Snyder to get in front of this while he still has SOME control.

Well FedEx came out and said they are staying neutral in the whole debate. If the sponsor of our stadium doesn't sound concerned, I don't think we're going to see sponsors pulling out in the near future.

We'd lose our logo no matter how a name change comes about. The main NA driving forces, Harjo, Halbritter, NACI, all have said their goal is to remove all NA themes from all sports. There's no getting out in front of this thing. Snyder is doing what any owner in his position would/should do: defend against loudmouths with no factual backing and majority support

Well FedEx came out and said they are staying neutral in the whole debate. If the sponsor of our stadium doesn't sound concerned, I don't think we're going to see sponsors pulling out in the near future.

Exactly. Some will say Redskins is offensive casually from their keyboard, but how many are actually going to boycott products? Not many. They don't care enough to talk about real issues facing NAs, they aren't going to care enough to stop using products. Plus, the Redskins fanbase is huge, 90+% in favor of keeping the name, and spends a lot of money especially when the season starts. Not many sponsors are going to pull away from a billion dollar franchise.

"Neutral"? That's not a strong endorsement.

Washington State media have taken up the cause. It will be a true test of Synder's loyalities if CEO's from corporations like Starbucks start lobbying. NFL owners are businessmen not known for their meekness when they perceive the bottom line may be adveresly affected. HTT?

If the name changes, we need something to keep alive the historical rivalry with the Cowboys.  "Redskins" fit into that rivalry quite nicely.  But if it does change, we need something else that's a natural enemy of the american cowboy.

How about the Washington Saddle Sores?  We can even keep the red color scheme.

"Neutral"? That's not a strong endorsement.

Washington State media have taken up the cause. It will be a true test of Synder's loyalities if CEO's from corporations like Starbucks start lobbying. NFL owners are businessmen not known for their meekness when they perceive the bottom line may be adveresly affected. HTT?

Why would Snyder care about what the media in Washington state are doing? Why would Starbucks lobby the NFL to have the Redskins change the name? Starbucks isn't even associated with the NFL.

Jerry Jones even said he doesn't see the owners trying to pressure Snyder into changing the name. If the other owners in the league don't care enough about it, why would other companies?

If the name changes, we need something to keep alive the historical rivalry with the Cowboys.  "Redskins" fit into that rivalry quite nicely.  But if it does change, we need something else that's a natural enemy of the american cowboy.

How about the Washington Saddle Sores?  We can even keep the red color scheme.

Now, that's funny! :lol: 

They should change the name of Houston. Houston was cruel to the NAs in Texas and it is oppression that they named a town in his honor. He was a NA baby killer. If the NAs aren't offended they should be. Someone please let UnWise Mike know

Other offensive names to Native Americans that should be changed. (100% serious here):

Columbus, OH (and every other town named Columbus)

Colt firearms company

Winchester firearms company

Any school or institution named for Andrew Jackson

All symbols and names of oppression, insensitivity, and racism. Anyone who disagrees with me is a bigot

We'd lose our logo no matter how a name change comes about. The main NA driving forces, Harjo, Halbritter, NACI, all have said their goal is to remove all NA themes from all sports. There's no getting out in front of this thing. Snyder is doing what any owner in his position would/should do: defend against loudmouths with no factual backing and majority support

Ouch......I was hoping that worst case scenario, we'd be able to keep the logo and change the name only. I swear if we change to the Washington Alligators or something stupid like that, I seriously dont know what I'd do.

But, just a mention, if we do change anything in scheme, Im sure we'd keep the B&G w/o question. But it would be NICE if we could incorporate some black to mix with the B&G. That would be dope....

Exactly. Some will say Redskins is offensive casually from their keyboard, but how many are actually going to boycott products? Not many. They don't care enough to talk about real issues facing NAs, they aren't going to care enough to stop using products. Plus, the Redskins fanbase is huge, 90+% in favor of keeping the name, and spends a lot of money especially when the season starts. Not many sponsors are going to pull away from a billion dollar franchise.

this slippery slope thing......

just because the most adamant opponent WANTS to eliminate x y or z doesn't mean that getting rid of the redskins name means they get the whole enchilada.   They probably want to restore maryland to its original owners, as well.    (i don't think that one is gonna happen) 

Is this largely a media driven thing?

Yes.

Go back to the very first column Mike "not so" Wise ever wrote for the WP. It was at the start of Dallas Week. Care to guess what it was about?

Go look up our Ownership Group. :)

Archived