Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Just binged the first five episodes of Patriot on Amazon.  The show is excellent.  Somewhere between a Robert Ludlum novel and a Wes Anderson/Coen Brothers movie.  Definite influences of Big Lebowski, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Burn After Reading.  I see some Grand Budapest Hotel in it too.  Wonderfully funny and creative.  I can't believe they actually get all of these disparate ideas to work in the series.  That's good writing and acting for you.

It's up there with Americans and Mr Robot.

This show on Netflix called Gypsy is kinda cool.

Naomi Watts plays a shrink named Jean and she's an absolute psychopath.  She listens to her patients and then goes and interferes with their personal lives.  The biggest example is this guy who is a patient of hers, he's kind of meek and mild mannered and he can't get over this girl he was in love with.  She was a bit too fast for him so Jean goes out and starts seeing her in person, they start a lesbian relationship of sorts.  All the while she's counseling the guy.  Another patient is an older, overbearing and concerned mother who is losing touch with her adult daughter.  So Watts goes out and starts a friendship with her and passive aggressively starts pushing back on her mother, the patient.  She is completely ****ed up yet somehow manages to pull all of this together.

She's got a husband and a kid...the husband is a good guy, a high powered attorney and a good husband but his gorgeous assistant is after him.

Definitely not the type of thing I'd typically watch but I'm hooked.  It's a bit of a thriller, kind of suspenseful 

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Just binged the first five episodes of Patriot on Amazon.  The show is excellent.  Somewhere between a Robert Ludlum novel and a Wes Anderson/Coen Brothers movie.  Definite influences of Big Lebowski, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Burn After Reading.  I see some Grand Budapest Hotel in it too.  Wonderfully funny and creative.  I can't believe they actually get all of these disparate ideas to work in the series.  That's good writing and acting for you.

It's up there with Americans and Mr Robot.

Wes Anderson meets Coen Brothers?  I don't know how that works, but color me intrigued.  I'll have to give it a shot.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Wes Anderson meets Coen Brothers?  I don't know how that works, but color me intrigued.  I'll have to give it a shot.

The cinematography and staging are very Wes Anderson.  Lot of whimsy.  Lot of super close ups of exaggeratedly blank faces as they carry on conversations or perform workmanlike tasks.  The tone and indeed the entire narrative style are lifted straight from the work of the Coen brothers.  To the point where it almost feels like plagiarism.  The characters could be pulled straight out of Fargo and Burn After Reading.

It's a wonderful black farcical Tom Clancy story.  The tone is so dry that you could be confused about the show's intentions, but it's a comedy.

Power on STARZ just started Season 3.  Pretty solid so far.

And American Gods Season 1 is over, it was only 8 episodes.  Mandatory viewing if you like Ian McShane.  94% on rotten, "certified fresh."  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Glad you like it.  I felt bad, cause after I typed that review I looked up some reviews online and by and large it's been **** so far.  

A hell of a theme song and it's Stevie singing it too.  She remixed it for the show, I was reading.  I likey!

Edited by KAOSkins

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The cinematography and staging are very Wes Anderson.  Lot of whimsy.  Lot of super close ups of exaggeratedly blank faces as they carry on conversations or perform workmanlike tasks.  The tone and indeed the entire narrative style are lifted straight from the work of the Coen brothers.  To the point where it almost feels like plagiarism.  The characters could be pulled straight out of Fargo and Burn After Reading.

It's a wonderful black farcical Tom Clancy story.  The tone is so dry that you could be confused about the show's intentions, but it's a comedy.

Just watched the first episode.  I can see where your characterization comes from.  I can definitely feel a bit of Wes Anderson in some of the cinematography combined with the use of music in some of those shots.  All that're missing are Bill Murray and Jason Schwarzman.  And I can see where the Coen Brothers narrative comes in the way it finds the lighter side of something serious with--like you said--that dry delivery that isn't throwing the comedy in your face.

Finally finished Bloodline the other day. Ehhh wasn't as good as the first two seasons. It just couldn't hold my interest especially with the last two episodes. 

Started Power yesterday. Pretty good so far though it could be a bit grittier. Ghost reminds me a little of Stringer Bell from The Wire. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TK said:

Finally finished Bloodline the other day. Ehhh wasn't as good as the first two seasons. It just couldn't hold my interest especially with the last two episodes. 

Started Power yesterday. Pretty good so far though it could be a bit grittier. Ghost reminds me a little of Stringer Bell from The Wire. 

Yeah, show was really good up until the last two episodes and the way it ended.  Just went flat.  

Power is pretty good, gonna wait about 6 more weeks then add Starz again to watch the current season.  

I still think The Wire is the best cop/druglords show ever created.   

• Like 1

You should watch the f1 racing circuit. Race every 2 weeks. 

Have never been into f1 but I started following it this year. It's quickly moving up the ranks as my favorite sport to watch. 

This year has been very competitive as well, which is nice. 

The Azerbaijan race 2 weeks ago is a good starting point, the second half of that race was crazy good. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Power is pretty good, gonna wait about 6 more weeks then add Starz again to watch the current season.  

I still think The Wire is the best cop/druglords show ever created.   

FYI Hulu just added HBO with a free month trial. Since my free month through HBO just ended I'll probably do the same for Game of Thrones. 

There's The Wire & then there's everything else. :)

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Snowfall on FX premiered last night and I thought it was good.

I liked it but I wish they'd just concentrate on the kid and not so much on the other storylines.  Already don't care about the wrestler guy who bungled his burglary and don't totally care about the CIA guy either.  I think this show could be awesome if they just focus on one story, not three.  

Still will keep watching though.

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I liked it but I wish they'd just concentrate on the kid and not so much on the other storylines.  Already don't care about the wrestler guy who bungled his burglary and don't totally care about the CIA guy either.  I think this show could be awesome if they just focus on one story, not three.  

Still will keep watching though.

From what I've read, the wrestler ends up being a big part of the show.