Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

One more vote for the Walking Dead. Downton Abbey is pretty good also. My wife started watching it and I happened to walk through the room during the second episode. I stopped and next thing I knew I was sitting down having watched the whole thing. Finally, I'd recommend Wilfred. Really, really funny and very well written. You'll find it funny even if you haven't had a dog, but if you have had one, there are jokes about doggie behavior that will literally have you rolling on the floor laughing.

Yes I've watched wilford although I'm not sure how many seasons there are bc I've only seen 1 on Netflix or Hulu. But you are right that show is right up my alley. Real funny show. What are the plans for wilford? Is there more then one series? When do they typically begin airing?

---------- Post added March-26th-2013 at 01:59 AM ----------

Has anyone caught House of Cards yet with Kevin spacey? It's Netflix first series produced only for Netflix subscribers. I've read great reviews on it.

---------- Post added March-26th-2013 at 02:00 AM ----------

Haven't watched The Wire, but friends say it narrowly edges out Breaking Bad. For me Game of Thrones is awesome, so is Walking Dead. Breaking Bad is my normal tv favorite, but Sherlock beat it and is my #1 overall.

I'm guessing its just another take on Sherlock Holmes?

Yes I've watched wilford although I'm not sure how many seasons there are bc I've only seen 1 on Netflix or Hulu. But you are right that show is right up my alley. Real funny show. What are the plans for wilford? Is there more then one series? When do they typically begin airing?

---------- Post added March-26th-2013 at 01:59 AM ----------

Has anyone caught House of Cards yet with Kevin spacey? It's Netflix first series produced only for Netflix subscribers. I've read great reviews on it.

I've only just finished watching the first season of Wilfred myself. It's still running and I think I heard that whatever channel it runs on has renewed it for another season. I'd imagine subsequent seasons are or will be available somewhere.

We just watched the first episode of House of Cards last night. It's a political intrigue drama. Think of it as a less "chick show" version of Scandal. I wasn't overly thrilled at first but it became watchable by the end of the episode. Hopefully the trend continues because it definitely has promise. I really wish they'd stop with the breaking the fourth wall routine though.

Game of Thrones for sure.

House of Cards has all intrigue and drama of Washington politics plus Kevin Spacey being awesome and having fun, and it's David Fincher's brainchild.

I started and finished all of BBC's Sherlock in one Sunday. Brilliantly written and a fantastic cast.

Last but definitely not the least, Downton Abbey is really interesting and classy as ****. Prequel to the Robert Altman movie Gosford Park.

Also to throw some oldies in there, if you haven't gotten into Arrested Development then you should do it, especially with the new season being released all at once on Netflix in May. Also, FIREFLY. It's only 1 season, but it's my comfort show along with AD. I can watch either and be 100% happy.

Edited by styx491

Game of Thrones for sure.

House of Cards has all intrigue and drama of Washington politics plus Kevin Spacey being awesome and having fun, and it's David Fincher's brainchild.

I started and finished all of BBC's Sherlock in one Sunday. Brilliantly written and a fantastic cast.

Last but definitely not the least, Downton Abbey is really interesting and classy as ****. Prequel to the Robert Altman movie Gosford Park.

Also to throw some oldies in there, if you haven't gotten into Arrested Development then you should do it, especially with the new season being released all at once on Netflix in May. Also, FIREFLY. It's only 1 season, but it's my comfort show along with AD. I can watch either and be 100% happy.

I've seen every episode of arrested development at least twice lol. But yeah I've heard good things about firefly and im pretty sure I saw it on sc fi browsing but didn't stop to watch it.

---------- Post added March-26th-2013 at 03:40 AM ----------

And I wasn't sure what you were going for there jumbo but I had to stop reading it after the first few sentences and thought, I'll just have to skip that one lol.

The Wire was my favorite show of all time, incredible.

As for your list, I'd pick House of Cards over Mad Men. I'm not into stuff like Walking Dead.

Also, Bang's suggestion about The Americans is a good one, love that show.

Finally, Jumbo might be on to something. There's huge potential for a massive cat fight as Elisabeth Hasselbeck makes her exit from being kicked off by Walters et al :)

Never heard of fallen skies. What's it about and what station?
Earth dealing with post-alien invasion and rebelling against alien overlords. Produced by Spielberg. Airs during the summer. 2 seasons so far, 3rd season starts up this summer. 1st season was good, 2nd season was great.

Another big-time Falling Skies fan here. You know how the Walking Dead takes a concept usually reserved for movies, a zombie apocalypse, and translates it into the format of an ongoing television show, only for people to suddenly realize that this might be how we should have been telling stories about zombies the whole time? Falling Skies is like that, except with an alien invasion instead of zombies. The problem with making alien invasion movies is that they have to be resolved within a maximum of three hours (not within the movie of course, but the real-life time limit still restricts how much plot can be crammed into time within the movie). Falling Skies solves that problem by being a TV show (obviously), and because it's a TV show, the first premise of the invasion is the only one that actually makes any sense—they came, they saw, they kicked our ass. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum won't be saving the day with the Roswell UFO and a computer virus. The aliens won't be saving the day for us with their own stupidity by invading a planet full of water when water makes them melt. The aliens also didn't forget that entering the ecosystem of an entirely new planet will probably expose them to viruses and bacteria that will make them sick. They just won. They took over. But they either can't or don't want to wipe us out completely, probably because doing so would require completely ruining the planet for themselves as well. So now, the remaining pockets of humanity are trying to survive the occupation of Earth while putting up enough of a guerrilla resistance movement that the aliens might eventually decide that we're too much of a pain in the ass to deal with, and leave because staying here just isn't worth it anymore. (The analogy used in the show is actually the American Revolution: We won, but it's not because we amassed a military that could even hold a candle to the full might of the British Army and Navy. We just managed to be such an enormous thorn in their side that they eventually didn't want to lose any more blood and treasure for the sake of maintaining control of what was then just a moderate portion of their whole empire.)

Oh, and elk's right about the seasons. In the first one, the writers tried to make the show all things to all people, so to get to the good stuff, you often had to sit through scenes of terrible teen drama, or "aw, shucks" family moments, or the most forced and unnatural religious scenes I've ever seen on television in my life. It's obvious that they responded to the criticism, though, because in the second season, they realized that the best thing they could do was say, "**** it, we're gonna stop trying to please everyone and focus on pleasing the people who want this to be a show about a guerrilla war against ****ing aliens." It's hard to describe how much it improved, and it made the bad moments of the first season so, so worth it.

Edited by Hubbs

The Wire season 1 was incredible. I couldn't get into season 2 but I should try again. I hear seasons 3 and 4 are even better.

Yes. Try again. Season 2 started off very slowly for me, and at first I couldn't get into it either. It really does set the stage for everything that happens after it.

I just started watching Justified and I've enjoyed that one as well.

Jumbo, I don't know about anyone else, but my bet is the view is on top of your DVR list.

there's probably reams of psychoanalysis notes all over your office trying to figure out the clucking.

i think you just told on yourself in a fit of honesty.

~Bang

The best shows on now are Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and then Game of Thrones.

Season 3 of Walking Dead - especially the first few episodes were amazing.

Breaking bad - the train heist episode from last summer was one of the greatest episodes of a tv show ever to air.

I just signed up for Netflix and am addicted:

I just started Sons of Anarchy, which I haved enjoyed so far.

I am also finishing up season 2 of Falling Skies - that is pretty good but a little shaky...

I also watched a few episodes of Firefly, which I found to be really boring and dont get the love there.

Also Arrested Development - only 2 episodes in and its just ok.

Jumbo, I don't know about anyone else, but my bet is the view is on top of your DVR list.

there's probably reams of psychoanalysis notes all over your office trying to figure out the clucking.

i think you just told on yourself in a fit of honesty. ~Bang

Usually, my honesty gives other people fits.

The clucking does prompt reminiscing on Skinner's ancient work with pigeons. The difference being the pigeons are able to learn. In both cases, there's a lot of **** dropped everywhere.

House of Cards is A++

American Horror Story was pretty good (only seen season 1)

Personally, I have found this season of The Walking Dead boring and almost unwatchable. The writing is just so bad and I can't seem to care about any characters. But liked the first 2 seasons

Also, LOST is on Netflix, and that was the best show ever made imo

Edited by DeaconTheVillain