Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Got most of the way thru Marvel's Defenders on Netflix. Started out quite well, but went downhill. Scenes with Daredevil and especially Jessica Jones are good, but Iron Fist bits are outright putrid. The more Danny Rand gets written into the plot, the more unwatchable it becomes. I kept hoping he would get killed off somewhere along the way.  All in all, a bit too much cheesy pandering to fans.

• Like 1

So been watching the new Netflix release Mindhunters: interesting premise, David Fincher directing ( almost always a win), but just terrible execution. Production values are up to par, Fincher films the scenes adequately, but the dialogue and acting chemistry between the leads is cringeworthy. Hard to tell if it's the writing or the acting, but the first episode was below mediocre. Reddit states the show improves after the first episode, but I have my doubts. 

8 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm sure it must have been mentioned but Star Trek Discovery is excellent IMO...

It's been mentioned in the Star Trek thread.

Excellent?  I'll wait until seeing the whole season to pass judgement.

My early impressions, 4 episodes in.

They wasted the 2 episode premiere; filling in Michael Burnham back story.  You don't see the main cast except for Saru until episode 3. You don't see the Discovery until Episode 3.  After last week, I see where they are going with Michael. Making  her story one of redemption.  I still haven't found anyone I really like. You watch a TV show, you would want to like the characters in it.  Captain Lorca is just sinister.  I don't like how the main focus of the show, is just one character: Michael Burnham. Everyone else is just secondary.   This show hasn't shown me that is deserves to be called Star Trek; 11 episodes to see if my view changes.  I don't see this show anywhere close to the spirit of the Star Trek Gene created.  Right now, my impression is that CBS just used the Star Trek name; to get viewers for their All-Access channel.  They have even admitted it, saying that Star Trek's built in audience will give them viewers and thus their money for their All-Access channel.

• Like 1

I've been watching excellent Star Trek.  

It's called The Orville, and it's on Fox.  First two episodes I thought were excessively juvenile, although still amusing.  And the next three have all been good.  A really good mix of humor and good morality dilemmas.  

I was willing to give Discovery a chance, and even pay for it for a while.  But they just made it too difficult for me to get to it.  (And the things I've seen really haven't made me want to watch it.)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I've been watching excellent Star Trek.  

It's called The Orville, and it's on Fox.  First two episodes I thought were excessively juvenile, although still amusing.  And the next three have all been good.  A really good mix of humor and good morality dilemmas.  

I was willing to give Discovery a chance, and even pay for it for a while.  But they just made it too difficult for me to get to it.  (And the things I've seen really haven't made me want to watch it.)  

Love Orville.  The ratings went down, compared to the first 2 episodes that aired on Sunday.

Seth gets a second season because it's him but FOX may want to put Orville on another night. Orville could have a nice run and then you have years and years of all those conventions.  

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So far so good on the Gifted. Like the fringe X-Men characters showing up. Hate the kid (Andy). They've reimagined him and his sister from the character Fenris. Too much focus on them and not enough on Polaris and Thunderbird and others.

Unfortunately, the kids are the main focus of the show; I think.  Kill Andy off, keep his sister.

• Like 1

I've been working on an animated series of my own creation for the past year and a half, and everyone I show it to says the humor reminds them of Daria. Well, I had never watched a second of Daria, so I decided to give it a go.

It's like finding a soulmate. Really. How did I not spend my childhood watching this? I haven't made it through an episode without a couple laugh out loud moments.

• Like 2

Haven on Netflix is pretty damn good imo. Stars Emily Rose, who you may not recognize by face, but rather by voice, if you are a fan of the Uncharted video game franchise (she is the voice of Elena Fisher).

In this show she plays an FBI agent named Audrey Parker, who is on the hunt for a fugitive, and ends up in this strange postcard Northeastern port town, where crazy **** happens. It's loosely based on some Stephen King book called "The Colorado Kid."

If I had to make an apt comparison, Id say it borrows heavily from LOST, The 4400, and The X-Files.

13 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Haven on Netflix is pretty damn good imo. Stars Emily Rose, who you may not recognize by face, but rather by voice, if you are a fan of the Uncharted video game franchise (she is the voice of Elena Fisher).

In this show she plays an FBI agent named Audrey Parker, who is on the hunt for a fugitive, and ends up in this strange postcard Northeastern port town, where crazy **** happens. It's loosely based on some Stephen King book called "The Colorado Kid."

If I had to make an apt comparison, Id say it borrows heavily from LOST, The 4400, and The X-Files.

I need to watch that final season.  This was a SyFy show that got 5 seasons, with the final season being twice as long.

Just wrapped up Slasher, seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix.  Each season is a separate story which involves a serial killer/psycho terrorizing everyone (think American Horror Story format).  I wasn't sure how a slasher/horror flick series would work out, but I thought they did a really good job overall.  Each season is 8 episodes that are around one hour long.  

First season is called The Executioner which revolves around a married couple moving back to the small town the wife grew up in, leading to everyone being terrorized by a killer.  They did a pretty decent job each episode of twisting the story and making you think about who the killer was.  Wife and I changed our minds multiple times throughout the entire season.  

Second season is called Guilty Party, which revolves around a girl going missing at a summer camp and then five years later, a group of friends (former camp counselors) head back to the camp to bury their sins and start getting targeted by an unknown killer.  Best season out of the two, best ending too.  Both seasons brought multiple horror concepts, so you could see there were multiple films that inspired each season.  

I want to knock out the last half of Luke Cage before Punisher comes out. Didn't watch Defenders, (was ok with Iron Fist despite it's shortcomings)..but feel I need to finish Luke Cage. Love the character but it's been a grind more than any of the other 3 to get through. Not sure why.

Also..yeah ST2 this weekend I hope! Get yo Eggos ready.

Edited by The Evil Genius

I've been watching some scandanavian shows, and enjoying them:

• Nobel (Norwegian special forces from Afghanistan, but takes place in both countries)
  • Occupied (the EU backs Russia when it invades Norway to restart oil production halted by the Norwegian govt)
  • Wallander (a swedish police detective -- there is a british version with Kenneth Branagh, but the swedish version is better) 
  • Rita ( a danish schoolteacher... that sleeps around alot)
  • Border Town (a finnish show about police in a town on the border with Russia)

I've basically had ONE (at a time) in my watching rotation constantly for the last several years.   I like 'em alot, and they are a nice change of pace to the other shows i watch regularly.... 

Edited by mcsluggo

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Mindhunter was good, although the leads could have been cast better

going to try and finish American Vandal before Stranger Things Season 2

I loved American Vandal, great comedy/mockumentary imo.  Just so ridiculous that it was funny and it left you really wondering "who done it?".