Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 Hendrix Songs?

Spaceman Spiff

Because I think Jimi Hendrix is superior to the Beatles and Rolling Stones. Yes, I said it. No, there's not nearly as much music to choose from but we can open this up to live songs, too.

It's not even close. The world wasn't ready for Hendrix, always is for the truly great ones.

1. Castles Made of Sand

2. 1983

3. Voodoo Child

4. Little Wing

5. Live version of Killing Floor.

All Along the Watchtower (Dylan: "I wish I'd written that.")

Hey Joe

Red House (any version you like, they're all the best blues guitar ever heard)

Voodoo Chile

1983 (here's your proof that Jimi was a criminally underrated lyricist)

Little Wing

Because I think Jimi Hendrix is superior to the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

The Beatles loved Hendrix, while Jagger hated him; makes perfect sense, really, since Hendrix was better in all ways than Mick, save voice (and that's close, though neither are great), and about a million times more authentic.

1. Voodoo Chile (slight return).

2, Red House

3. Castles Made of Sand.

4. Gypsy Eyes

5. Little Wing.

There is so much great live stuff out there though and many times a live version is better than the studio stuff most of which was either recorded really quickly in the early days (almost live in some cases) or was pretty chaotic towards the end.

? Dylan did write it.

I think he got the quote confused. Dylan did write the song but upon hearing Jimi's rendition liked that version better and took to covering Jimi's cover of his song when he performed it live. :)

Off the top of my head Angel, Little Wing, Voodoo Chile, Wind Cries Mary, Red House and All Along the Watchtower all stand out to me. The thing about Jimi is, as good as much of his studio stuff was (and it was VERY good) you don't really get the feel for or truly appreciate the guy until you listen to his live stuff. You can almost hear his eyes glaze over as he just falls into the flow of the music and rides it just from an audio CD.

I think he got the quote confused. Dylan did write the song but upon hearing Jimi's rendition liked that version better and took to covering Jimi's cover of his song when he performed it live. :)

I think the quote he was confusing it with was about a song Joan Baez did which Dylan wrote but never recorded himself - forget which one. He heard it on the radio and said to Baez something like 'Thats a great song, I wish I had written that' to which Baez replied 'You did you moron!'

Gee, there are so many and all of my choices have already been mentioned:

1. Little Wing

2. All Along the Watchtower

3. Castles Made of Sand

4. Spanish Castle Magic

5. Purple Haze or Foxey Lady

And there are more. My favorite album is Axis: Bold As Love. I have a bootleg album of Hendrix playing the blues and I think it's live. I'll have to convert it to MP3.

Archived