Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 5 Hendrix Songs?

Spaceman Spiff

just studio stuff.. there's so many live tracks, it's hard to pinpoint the right one by saying "this one, on that album.. "

Yeah that is tough. Some of the live recordings are almost like different songs. Three or four times the length of the album versions, different tempos, different keys, sound settings, etc. I'm having to hunt around for the versions I like best and I can't find them all and I can't remember the source of a lot of them it's been so many years since I got the recordings.

I'd like to reiterate what everyone else is saying, it's difficult to choose a top five. So many of the songs are so special to me. The ones I picked are ones that, at some point in my life, were deeply important. They were generative or they moved me in that way where you don't forget the time you truly discovered the song and it gets stuck in your head and just kind of fills your day with contentedness. Listening to them makes you feel like you just got laid.

1.) Bold as Love, this recording specifically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDlF5SAatyk

2.) Wind Cries Mary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiOMn0FhLoU

3.) Hey Joe

Not the recording I was looking for but it's the closest one I could find. It cuts off at the end, disapppointingly. The version I like the most is not the album version from Are You Experienced, which I find a little disappointing in comparison. The album version is a little tinny and sedate in compared to the version I like.

4.) Red House, also not the recording I was searching for but this one sounds good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rRJIAQapg

5.) Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

The recording I had in mind is nowhere to be found. It was a quick and dirty 4:11 live version in a relatively small setting, pretty fast tempo on the song. No two recordings of this song are very similar apparently. Can anyone identify the recording from the tiny bit of information I provided?

? Dylan did write it.
I think he got the quote confused. Dylan did write the song but upon hearing Jimi's rendition liked that version better and took to covering Jimi's cover of his song when he performed it live.

Exactly. But the quote isn't confused.

Dylan (according to legend, I guess, since I can't find any proof on the web) heard Hendrix's version, and liked it so much that he said "I wish I'd written that", knowing full well that he was, in fact, Bob Dylan, and having a better than average recollection of what songs he had and hadn't written ( for instance, he was almost entirely certain that hadn't written "Yummy Yummy Yummy I Got Love in My Tummy" ). Dylan was clever like that, saying things he didn't really mean, just to fool people on the web 40-odd years later.

It's easy enough (and fun!) to believe that Dylan said it, since he also said this:

I liked Jimi Hendrix’s record of this and ever since he died I’ve been doing it that way… Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it’s a tribute to him in some kind of way.

So now you know the rest of the (possibly apocryphal) story. :)

1.Voodoo Chile (Electric lady land) Steve Winwood killed the organ.

2. 1983 Merman

3. Hey Baby (First rays of the new raising sun)

4. Red House Electric Church (Hendrix Blues)

5. My Friend, and Belly Button Window both from (First rays of the new raising sun)

Hendrix was so far ahead of his time, and im not even referring to his guitar play.

when people say "Voodoo Chile" are they talking about the live version on electric lady land or the more well known verson "slight return"?

Both songs are on Electric Lady Land - Vooodo Chile which is a 15 minute blues song and Voodoo Chile (slight return) which is the shorter rock song with one best intros in Rock history with that great Wah Wah pedal sound. It's the later just about everyone means although the blues song is really good as well.

Both songs are on Electric Lady Land - Vooodo Chile which is a 15 minute blues song and Voodoo Chile (slight return) which is the shorter rock song with one best intros in Rock history with that great Wah Wah pedal sound. It's the later just about everyone means although the blues song is really good as well.

:doh: i totally forgot slight return was on electric lady land as well.

I actually prefer the live blues version. He absolutely kills it in that song. That song can crank

Archived