Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: Rookie of the Year Race: Why RG3 deserves to win

PigskinRedskin

Hey guys, good article by Gregg Rosenthal over at NFL.com

No. 1 Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins

Yes, he missed a game. He still deserves the award if he finishes out the final two games well. Forget the rookie class: There's barely a quarterback in the league that is steadier than RG3. The Redskins roll out the same concepts week after week and defenses can't stop them. There are some very well-paid quarterbacks that go an entire career without steady, disciplined weekly play. (Jay Cutler, Tony Romo sits to pee and Michael Vick come to mind.) You know what you are going to get out of Griffin each week.

He is going to be accurate, make smart decisions, and break off a few explosive plays. He'll hurt you with his legs when he needs to. ESPN's Steve Yong remarked that the Redskins don't ask Griffin to do too much in terms of his reads and progressions yet. Young suggested this was a "bridge" offense to what Griffin will run in future years. That's not something voters should hold against Griffin; it's good coaching.

Griffin has done everything the Redskins have asked. He's the biggest reason why the Redskins are the fifth-highest scoring team in the league. Wilson and Luck have both been terrific, but Griffin's individual play has been more consistent overall. There are some peaks, valleys or "rookie mistakes."

This class has a chance to go down as one of the greatest of all-time. For this year, Griffin leads the pack.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000114423/article/rookie-of-the-year-race-why-rg3-deserves-to-win

He made some good points, something we've been stressing without getting into the Stats of it all...

He must have meant "There are no peak, valleys, or 'rookie mistakes'," in that one sentence, as written it's standing in opposition to a lot of the stuff he just said.

Still, what he's saying is true, RGIII deserves it, definitely. He has been consistently good, and has the ability to be flashy when called upon to be flashy, like against Philly and Dallas, but can also manage a game to near perfection, like against the Giants.

He's going to be a heck of a QB for a long time.

I haven't seen luck play in a lot of game but I do watch red zone and flip back n forth. From what I've seen he's really good but I have watched every skins game and biased as I may be I think RGIII is the best of the Rookie QB's by far. Not only that but I have the feeling Luck hits the 2nd year wall while RGIII continues to improve. If RGIII gets the Skins to the playoffs I think it's a lock even with all the other noise about Luck

I think Griffin has been way more than just consistant. There seems to be this idea that he's throwing a bunch of screens and safe passes. That just isn't really the case. I've seen any number of hooks, slants, crossers, posts, etc. He'll toss it 50 yards downfield, 15, or any length all game long. Receivers are getting open for him, esp. off play action, but I think he is making plays.

As to the style of offense... if it's confusing defenses, scoring well, and generating yards... I hardly think its babying the qb. It's effective. Why be traditional if non-traditional is killing the opponent?

If I have a fault with RGIII, I think it's that he tries to be a bit too perfect not that he's being held back. From the first game, he was reading progressions, hitting receivers at all depths and all parts of the field, and his run game can be deadly. That's why defenses can't beat him easily. If he was predictible or merely steady, the few things he does well would have been neutralized or countered by now. I think the author's argument fails.

I also find it laughable that the author cites a weak D as a reason for Luck's struggles and ignores how pitiful the Redskins D has been most of the year.

The only reason ESPN wants Luck to win it is because their QBR **** says he is better. They are trying to promote that rating system by drawing attention to the disparity between Luck and RG3. Most reasonable/respectable sports journalist will call it a tie at least (and include Russell Wilson). Meanwhile ESPN takes the league leader in interceptions vs. last in the league in interceptions, puts them into their little QBR blender and it spits out Luck rookie of the year. Thank god somebody on NFL.com is looking at it sensibly instead of with hocus pocus.

Eh RGIII made the analysts before the draft look like idiots. They kept saying he needed a year or more for a learning curve while Luck was completely ready. Right now with all the interceptions and some pick 6s Luck looks like the guy who needs to learn. ESPN is just bitter about being wrong. I'd put Russell Wilson in front of Luck if I was talking about ROTY. Luck's defense kept him in games against sub 500 teams this year just enough so he could pull out a TD at the very end and get all the credit. It made me think of Tebow at Denver occasionally. Suck until the last 10 mins, pull a TD out, ESPN talks about it all week.

Eh RGIII made the analysts before the draft look like idiots. They kept saying he needed a year or more for a learning curve while Luck was completely ready. Right now with all the interceptions and some pick 6s Luck looks like the guy who needs to learn. ESPN is just bitter about being wrong. I'd put Russell Wilson in front of Luck if I was talking about ROTY. Luck's defense kept him in games against sub 500 teams this year just enough so he could pull out a TD at the very end and get all the credit. It made me think of Tebow at Denver occasionally. Suck until the last 10 mins, pull a TD out, ESPN talks about it all week.

And then they play an elite team and get crushed, because multiple turnovers are completely inexcusable when the competition is halfway decent.

The truth is that in any other year, almost anyone noted in this article would be ROY if they where not competing against each other...

This is what gets me soooooo excited. There is some very strong competition for ROY. I just can't believe our QB...the QB of the Washington Redskins may be the best of the competition. AMAZING.

As much as I'd love to see Griffin snag the ROY honors, I won't be shedding any tears if he doesn't. The competition is fierce this year, I feel for anyone that hasn't had the chance to really see Russell Wilson play, he is legit. I definitely see it as a race between him and Griffin, both have shown the leadership to drive their teams, there is more involved than just football skills. At this point it looks very possible that we can see a Skins-'Hawks playoff game @ FedEx, it should be amazing.

Luck leaves me underwhelmed, I watch him play and he has very good technical skills but his decision making is frequently awful and too often he gets flushed and reacts to the D, making desperation throws. He will be a starter for a long time but IMO he's going to a player like Rivers, good QB that needs solid coaching and a cast around him.

The only reason ESPN wants Luck to win it is because their QBR **** says he is better. They are trying to promote that rating system by drawing attention to the disparity between Luck and RG3. Most reasonable/respectable sports journalist will call it a tie at least (and include Russell Wilson). Meanwhile ESPN takes the league leader in interceptions vs. last in the league in interceptions, puts them into their little QBR blender and it spits out Luck rookie of the year. Thank god somebody on NFL.com is looking at it sensibly instead of with hocus pocus.

Actually, RG3 leads Luck in QBR. So if someone on ESPN is saying Luck is better based on QBR, they are lying.

Mike and Mike are talking about how The Skins performing well without Rg3 hurt his OROY chances and now the race is between Luck and Wilson. What a f***ing joke. I'd expect this trash from Cowherd but to hear it from Mike Golic who is a former player? No mention of Luck LEADING THE NFL in turnovers until Mark Sanchez took that honor from him on Monday night. Pathetic.

Mike and Mike are talking about how The Skins performing well without Rg3 hurt his OROY chances and now the race is between Luck and Wilson. What a ****ing joke. I'd expect this trash from Cowherd but to hear it from Mike Golic who is a former player? No mention of Luck LEADING THE NFL in turnovers until Mark Sanchez took that honor from him on Monday night. Pathetic.

Yeah, we performed well against THE BROWNS.

P.S. I fixed your post.

Ignoring Luck's turnovers is dumb.

But, I have to say, I won't be upset, not even the slightest bit, if RG3 doesn't win. Wilson has been sensational the last several weeks. Luck is going to be a great QB in this league. But more importantly, we finally have our franchise QB. I've gotten more out of this season than I ever hoped. There are playoff wins, multiple pro bowls, and maybe an MVP in RG3's future. These are exciting times. ROTY is a consolation prize. I hope people don't get too worked up about it if he doesn't win.

Mike and Mike are talking about how The Skins performing well without Rg3 hurt his OROY chances and now the race is between Luck and Wilson. What a f***ing joke. I'd expect this trash from Cowherd but to hear it from Mike Golic who is a former player? No mention of Luck LEADING THE NFL in turnovers until Mark Sanchez took that honor from him on Monday night. Pathetic.

It's stupid for a number of reasons

1. We started off very slow. The game wasn't out of hand truly until the end. If RGIII played that game is probably over at half time

2. Cousins is a decent pocket passer and got time to throw actually. RGIII has been running for his life and creating entire plays/drives on his own

3. If Brady went down and his back up did well does that mean Brady is no better than the back up or that the back up was just decent enough to fill the role that game

4. It's one game. RGIII has consistently been the best passer this year. Even my Bills and Steeler friends said he's been the best next to Rogers. Cousins having a decent game shouldn't affect what Griffin has done this year.

5. QBs number 1 job. Take care of the ball. Griffin has done a great job of that. A few INTs and fumbles but no where near say Luck. A team can't win against a decent team when turning the ball over that much.

6. No QB has had a greater impact on the players, fans, and overall mentality of a franchise. Luck stepped into a franchise that always expect great seasons. Losing is not a option. Wilson stepped into Seattle which expects to be near the top of the division fighting it out against the 9ers. RGIII stepped into a franchise who has done very little in 20 years outside of a few playoff runs. Fanbase expecting failure and poor management for years. Griffin's arrival in DC sparked excitement around the entire city and fanbase. The instant impact of Griffin was stunning. His play left people in awe even his opponents. Luck may have turned his team from 1 win to a potential playoff team but RGIII changed a entire franchise and fanbase into believers and contenders.

I haven't seen luck play in a lot of game but I do watch red zone and flip back n forth. From what I've seen he's really good but I have watched every skins game and biased as I may be I think RGIII is the best of the Rookie QB's by far. Not only that but I have the feeling Luck hits the 2nd year wall while RGIII continues to improve. If RGIII gets the Skins to the playoffs I think it's a lock even with all the other noise about Luck

Lucks not bad. but the Colts have had the easiest schedule in the NFL, BY FAR. It is a joke how bad that schedule is. They only tough teams they have faced were the Bears, Pats, Texans (once so far, the next time they play them the Texans will have their backups in), and Packers. The only team they beat out of these 4 were the Pack. The Bears, Texans and Pats beat them like a bongo. Heck, I would have LOVED to have played Jacksonville twice (who they lost to them once), Titans TWICe, Kansas City, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Buffalo, Jets (who also spanked them), and like I said they will be playing the Texans in week 17 against the Texans 2nd and 3rd stringers. Its a joke how that schedule turned out.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I understand that point. We put up 38 points against one of the hotter teams in the NFL. I don't think it should be weighed too much or eliminate him from consideration, but it's a subjective award and it certainly should be considered.

In the end, I think Griffin deserves the award but I'm not going to jump off a cliff if he doesn't win it. Voters have agendas and are going to vote however they want. It also wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have the best rookie QB feeling slighted going into his second year.

It's stupid for a number of reasons

1. We started off very slow. The game wasn't out of hand truly until the end. If RGIII played that game is probably over at half time

2. Cousins is a decent pocket passer and got time to throw actually. RGIII has been running for his life and creating entire plays/drives on his own

3. If Brady went down and his back up did well does that mean Brady is no better than the back up or that the back up was just decent enough to fill the role that game

4. It's one game. RGIII has consistently been the best passer this year. Even my Bills and Steeler friends said he's been the best next to Rogers. Cousins having a decent game shouldn't affect what Griffin has done this year.

5. QBs number 1 job. Take care of the ball. Griffin has done a great job of that. A few INTs and fumbles but no where near say Luck. A team can't win against a decent team when turning the ball over that much.

6. No QB has had a greater impact on the players, fans, and overall mentality of a franchise. Luck stepped into a franchise that always expect great seasons. Losing is not a option. Wilson stepped into Seattle which expects to be near the top of the division fighting it out against the 9ers. RGIII stepped into a franchise who has done very little in 20 years outside of a few playoff runs. Fanbase expecting failure and poor management for years. Griffin's arrival in DC sparked excitement around the entire city and fanbase. The instant impact of Griffin was stunning. His play left people in awe even his opponents. Luck may have turned his team from 1 win to a potential playoff team but RGIII changed a entire franchise and fanbase into believers and contenders.

This league is a week-to-week league. It doesnt matter what you do all season, they forget about you after 1 week of not playing or bad play. Its the problem with all these so called "analyst" They dont actually watch the games. I watch all football, and Im always amazed how little every radio/analyst person knows. For example, Tony Kornheiser had no idea who the Redskins played last week of the season, nor did he know the name of "the guy who returned our punt in the Ravens game" (Crawford). then, the Sports Junkies, who I actually enjoy listening to, NONE of them knew who the Cowboys and Giants played this week. Then, to top it all off, Mike and Mike say "Cousins started off red hot" LOL. They dont watch the games.

week to week people will pick the hot hand but when people look at the season in aggregate before casting their vote, the choice will be inevitable -- RG3 is running away with this.

well, i take that back - Wilson is putting up a fight and could take it if he finishes strong and Griffin doesn't.

but Luck is not in the running. the facts are he is 31st in QB rating, 33rd in completion percentage, and first in turnovers. deny their importance all you want, but when the stats are THAT horrible, they do say something.

I may be way off on this but imo it's between Russel Wilson and RG3. I mean Luck's team has one more win than the Redskins but all of his turnovers put him out of the running in my mind.

I'm with you here. Luck is doing what he can...if you throw the ball THAT many times a game, you're bound to get picks.

Russell is playing lights out right now, granted he is receiving help from their defense. RG3's numbers speak for themselves...I wouldn't be upset either way. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

The media was actually saying that RG3 would come out of the gate playing better, if you remember. They were saying he would be able to use his legs as an immediate asset where they felt Luck might struggle at first, but become the more elite pro.

I personally think the Luck touting is a combination of the ESPN QBR b.s. and the fact that they have spouted off about how he's the next Manning. They want to be right about both of those things.

Archived