Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: Rookie of the Year Race: Why RG3 deserves to win

PigskinRedskin

Because the Colts were horrible last year, have won 10 this year -- because he has had 7 game-winning, 4th quarter drives, IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR. I don't know who will win it, but Luck certainly deserves to be in the conversation.

I think most people see the Colts as the same team that Peyton led the year before last. If that seriously isn't the case I don't know it. Last year was the aberration and it would have been more concerning for the Colts if they had come closer to their 2011 record than their 2010 record

People shouldn't read to much into the Colts turn around record.

1) They have a weak schedule.

2) Their team wasn't as bad as their record indicates. The team makeup hasn't change much in winning 10+ games for years. Just, they were to dependent on Peyton and never develop / drafted a competent backup. And, after losses start piling up, some tanking was probably happening.

3) Given the above, with a competent QB, they could easily go 8-8 at least.

4) Luck's biggest advantage was team record. Houston is going to beat them again so the Colts will end up 10-6 which should be same as us. Advantage none.

5) The important stats RGIII has Luck beat in almost everyone.

The hot pick now seems to be Wilson. After last night's performance, the media is all over him so he may have the inside track. I think Robert may be a victim of his own greatness. He's so good even when he is "average"; however, if he is not doing something spectacular (i.e. 76-yd run vs the Vikings, etc.), I think some in the media take him for granted and overlook him.

RG has next Sunday Night to quiet the critics and the Luck and Wilson propaganda crowd. ;)

If he wins in spectacular form on national TV then the Wilson talk will cease and the RG talk will start back up. Someone here said the NFL is week to week and that is so true these days.

Wilson has had an incredible defense to help him out. I have always said that if we had a top 15 defense here then we may be having home field throughout. When you can consistently score 27 points or more a game with a good/great defense backing you there is no question about your place in the playoffs or the media. Luck's numbers are practically a joke with the exception of yards. I simply cannot fathom how these "experts" just ignore the amount of turnovers he has. If he had RG's turnover stats you can bet the farm they would be talking about it non-stop as part of his arguement. Since it is not they choose to ignore it.

If RG wins in spectacular form next Sunday Night then RG wins ROY

we all know how the NFL is. Its a week-to-week league. You could have the best 14 weeks of anyone ever, but if you sucked the last two weeks, people wont remember the other 14. Whoever has the hot hand is who the media talks about. If rookie of the year goes by the actual season, Griffin should still win. Hes already won rookie of the month twice and 6 (I think) rookie of the weeks, more than anyone else. Yes Wilsons been killin it. But in all honesty, if we are tallying up the whole year, then Griffin should have already won.

I went to the NFL website and pulled up offensive stats from 2011 and 2012 and compared them for each team. I left out games played, pts, comp/att , att/game, 1st, 1st %, long and sack because they factored in o-line/wr play or were irrelevant.

Out of the 10 categories left, RG3 won 5, Luck won 4 and Dangeruss won 1. RG3 with PPG (+9.2), Pct (+8), Avg (+1.5), Int (-16) and Rate (+30.3).

Luck won Total yards (+949), Yard/game (+75.7), 20+ (+31) and 40+ (+4).

Russell Wilson won Total TD (+11).

Yes, I know that Cousins played and contributed and I'm not sure of Russell Wilson played all his games but this is a more accurate way to determine OROY other than watching every offensive snap for all three teams throughout the season.

Edit: I went back and looked at the medians for all 10 categories and I determined that even though the records from last year were different, Indy only met the median for one (Int), Seattle for two (Int & 40+) and Washington for three (Total yds, YPG & 20+). So the three teams we not that much different because all of them statistically sucked, win/loss records be damned.

Archived