Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: Rookie of the Year Race: Why RG3 deserves to win

PigskinRedskin

Yeah...to be as objective as I can, all 3 QBs are having impressive seasons. Whatever factors the voters choose to weigh more heavily is up to them. Seattle, Indianapolis, and Washington all struck gold at the QB position.

Yeah, in the end, if Wilson or Luck wins it over RG3, it's just an award that seemingly disappears once the season starts up again next year. Plus, with RG3, what would you rather have him being holding? The Super Bowl MVP award or the ROTY award? Exactly. Haha.

We got our QB, we all know how sensational he is and how great this dynasty will be!

The only reason ESPN wants Luck to win it is because their QBR **** says he is better. They are trying to promote that rating system by drawing attention to the disparity between Luck and RG3. Most reasonable/respectable sports journalist will call it a tie at least (and include Russell Wilson). Meanwhile ESPN takes the league leader in interceptions vs. last in the league in interceptions, puts them into their little QBR blender and it spits out Luck rookie of the year. Thank god somebody on NFL.com is looking at it sensibly instead of with hocus pocus.

RG3 is way ahead of Luck in total QBR now.

Mmm, I'm obviously a gigantic RG3 fan, but I'm not too worried about ROY. I mean, at the rate these dudes are playing, I think they probably have an argument to be the best rookie class of all time? Don't know if there's a period I'm missing, but this rookie class is downright impressive.

Lucks not bad. but the Colts have had the easiest schedule in the NFL, BY FAR. It is a joke how bad that schedule is. They only tough teams they have faced were the Bears, Pats, Texans (once so far, the next time they play them the Texans will have their backups in), and Packers. The only team they beat out of these 4 were the Pack. The Bears, Texans and Pats beat them like a bongo. Heck, I would have LOVED to have played Jacksonville twice (who they lost to them once), Titans TWICe, Kansas City, Cleveland, Detroit, Miami, Buffalo, Jets (who also spanked them), and like I said they will be playing the Texans in week 17 against the Texans 2nd and 3rd stringers. Its a joke how that schedule turned out.

oh wow, you just settled the argument in my mind. I had no idea their schedule was that easy. Sure, they didn't have many expectations but neither did the redskins. I'm sick of hearing these announcers say the skins had a defense in place and had high hopes. They started a Rookie QB, rookie RB, and were missing their starting safeties. They were picked by EVERYONE to finish last in the East. I don't think anyone including most of us here picked the skins to win more than 7-9 games.

RGIII for MVP :)

I find their total QBR stat to be somewhat dubious anyhow. Kaepernick is ranked second in Season QBR even though he's only had 5 starts out of 14 games. You want me to take your metric serious, then don't allow a player that's only started 1/3 of all possible games to be second in a seasonal metric.

That's a little unfair since the regular passer rating does the same thing. It's the nature of evaluating a player based on the plays he's played, not a flaw.

But again, to me it's RGIII and Wilson. I think RGIII deserves it but wouldn't be mad if Wilson continues playing spectacularly and steals it. I would be mad if Luck won it because he doesn't deserve it. Good player, but he clearly hasn't played the best of the rookie class.

I like Luck and all but he has had FOUR straight games with a sub-50 completion percentage...damn

And it's questionable if he wins today against an ELITE Chiefs squad (lol) without a pick six thrown by Brady Quinn early in the game. Not that if he loses a game it's all on him but when you are sub-50 percent..that's like 70s numbers. QBs of ANY quality in the NFL aren't supposed to struggle to reach 50 percent generally in this era. A QB over a SEASON should be at LEAST at 57 plus and that's only if he is in a Spurrier long-ball offense.

man, Russell Wilson Superstar is making a late push.

Russell Hustle and Bustle Man Muscle Wilson will probably win the ROY after dominating the 49ers like that.(stole the Wilson line from Simmons too)

Still RG3 has a great chance to leave a final impression in primetime owning the beloved Cowboys and winning the division. If he does, that should be enough.

Wilson is one TD pass shy of Manning's rookie TD rookie of 26. If he shatters that he could easily win it.

Luck has yards and little else. His numbers are horrible and the "wins are all that matters argument" is mostly dead. The colts have one more win than the redskins and the same record as the Seahawks.

Rg3 has the rookie QB rushing record, the fewest turnovers of the three, and has the highest completion percentage.

Seriously, given the oppoent record and Luck's numbers, he shouldn't even be in the race. Frankly, Wilson is ROY as of today. RGIII 2nd only slightly and missed game one of main reasons. I would place Morris ahead of Luck.

Luck is about the lowest ranked QB in league, thrown equal or less TD's than other 2 and has about equal pick/TD ratio. Don't know why he is still in conversation.

Seriously, given the oppoent record and Luck's numbers, he shouldn't even be in the race. Frankly, Wilson is ROY as of today. RGIII 2nd only slightly and missed game one of main reasons. I would place Morris ahead of Luck.

Luck is about the lowest ranked QB in league, thrown equal or less TD's than other 2 and has about equal pick/TD ratio. Don't know why he is still in conversation.

Because he has by far the worst overall team between those 3, and asked to do the most. I'm not saying he should win it, but those arguments came up in favor of him from numerous writers and experts. At this point It's pretty obvious that Wilson, or RGIII should win it btw. To be honest though, i'd rather give it to RGIII, even if Wilson breaks Manning's TD record, because of reason.

That defense is a huge advantage for Wilson, they are absolutely elite, and no doubt they have given Russell short fields all year long. I guess i could be wrong about that, but it seems logical. Also, no one can deny that RGIII was more consistent all season. Well, at least more consistently spectacular. Wilson boosted his stats in the last couple weeks. Against good teams though, we gotta mention that. Still, i think RGIII should win it.

Russell Wilson is making a strong case for himself. He's beating elite teams, 4 division leaders and not to mention that stomping of the 49ers today. No one has made that niner squad look bad since Harbaugh took over. Luck is putting up great stats, but cmon how much longer is the NFL community going to be impressed with late game heroics against such mighty squads like KC, Tennessee, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit etc. Yes Luck beat GB but so did Wilson. Bob has done so many great things. I feel it SHOULD be between Him and Russell, but Luck will get so much praise due to the fact Indy had the worst record last year. And honestly I could care less on who wins ROY, do you remember who won it 3 years ago? 2 years ago? Exactly, neither do the rest of us.

russell has the best team around him, no doubt. lynch is a beast, that defense is pretty good, his WR/TEs are pretty good. he definitely has the best supporting cast, his o-line is good in run blocking and pass blocking. It's hard to go against him for ROY at this point, unless RG3 has a 4 TD game, or a come back win at least. I feel that Luck and RG3 have pretty similar supporting casts, bad O-line, not so great defenses, 1 decent WR, then a bunch of small receivers. If it was between those two I would give the nod to RG3, but since DangeRuss is in the conversation, I'd probably give it to him. I could also see the Seahawks, Skins, and GB duking it out for the next 10 years for NFC supremacy.

i think the 49ers are pretty overrated with Kaepernick. The 49ers came out trying to prove something against the Pats, but have looked pretty mediocre against Seattle and STL both times. His game has been shutdown by 2 of the 3 good defenses he's played (STL and Seattle). He just looks so damn awkward out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers 1 and done in the playoffs, especially if they go up against Minnesota.

Because the Colts were horrible last year, have won 10 this year -- because he has had 7 game-winning, 4th quarter drives, IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR. I don't know who will win it, but Luck certainly deserves to be in the conversation.

Whats with all the "Russell Wilson is now a lock for ROY". Despite having a far better supporting cast and only a slightly higher strength of schedule, he may end up with the same record as the skins with the skins possibly earning a division title. He has had some impressive wins and has performed exceptionally well lately but he has been enormously aided by his defense and supporting cast on offense.Most of the other stats favor RG3 even with the game he missed. Wilson should be clearly ahead of Luck and he is seriously challenging RG3 for the award but RG3 should still be the clear favorite.

Archived