Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Montgomery--Is Aikman right?

RedskinsInFebruary

I haven't noticed bad play from Monte given his competition yet, like some said, Hampton abused him...but you kind of expect that. I'd say the entire left side of the line and Montgomery have done an above average job so far this season. Polumbus has been pretty awful IMO so far, especially as of late, Kory seems kind of mediocre out there. I have to wonder when Josh will be able to supplant him in rotation...unless he's injured right now..I'm not prithee to his medical status. We definitely need to upgrade RT, but RG isn't exactly getting us great play either. Overall it has been good enough to let RG III do his thing though.

The G-men's D line is playing a bit bad right now so we might be able to keep RG III a bit more upright than usual when they roll into town.

Ford Ranger has had a thread about Monty and the rest of the linemen all year and Monty's stats in there have been really good... like Pro Bowl good.

I have been very impressed with Monty so far this year, and save for the speed of some of his shotgun snaps, he's played as well as any center we have had in years.

The O-line has been very good this year. The only real weakness is at RT and I assume that will be addressed in the off season. Our O-lineman probably would not be starters on any other team (except Trent) but they are perfect for our scheme. They have been dominate in run blocking this year.

Yesterday was Trent's worst game of the season by a mile.

According to PFF, Will Montgomery has been the 2nd best center this season behind only John Sullivan of the Vikings. He's graded out positively every game this season with the exception of the game against the Eagles.

Ee

Trent was playing on a minor knee injury he had in the previous game, I believe.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

so we aren't bringing back Casey Rabach?

For the umpteenth time.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

so we aren't bringing back Casey Rabach?

For the umpteenth time.

I'm glad Monty is getting the positive press he deserves. He has continued to improve his game and, hey nobody's perfect, but he is a keeper. Center, especially in a ZBS scheme has the most responsibilities/reads/calls to make.

No doubt that RG3 has helped make every O-Lineman look a little better, but that's what good QB's do. Monty is doing his part as well.

Hail!

Montgomery has generally been the best center in the division all year. He's emerged as a Top 10-ish player at his position. Trent has done better at left tackle. I'd rate Kory as middle of the pack with Chester a bit behind that. That we've held up as well as we have at RT is great. Overall the offensive line is the LEAST of this team's concerns as we head into off season.

For what its worth, Dan Graziano has had Montgomery on his All-NFC East team at C for practically the whole season. Has also had Trent at LT for the whole season as well.

That's what I was going to mention.

But, as for what Aikman said, I couldn't hear anything after "Witten is the BEST TE TO EVER PLAY THE GAME."

No bias there or anything....:ols:

He has been blocking fairly well and putting himself in good position.

However, if I see one more freakin' rainbow snap I'm going to drop kick a kitten.

Put some zing on the ball, Monty! Some zing!

You should drop kick kittens anyway, otherwise they turn into cats.

As a center I would not call Montie elite but would call him super solid. The glaring hole in OL is RT. I mean we have a major problem there, just watched the game with the girls again and basically we had to put the FB or the TE on that side all the time to help out and still the pressure 80% of the time came from there. Don't know how Brown is coming along but right now I would just play him a few downs just to see if he is an upgrade. he will need to play very ****ty not to be.

He seems solid but I feel he has been pushed back a bunch of times this season. This has caused Morris to need to run farther to the outside resulting in negative or no gain plays. That being said, he's playing well overall, especially in pass blocking. Keep in mind though that he is probably at his ceiling right now. Centers can play a while but others who have played for ages usually played at a much higher level (Jeff Saturday and the likes).

I heard him talk about that, and I have noted a number of commentators, even while agreeing we're short at skill positions and have our injuries, seem to think more of some of the active players than we do.

I'm amazed at how well some of our backups have done. Considering that the salary cap fiasco kept us from bringing in a lot of talent in the first place and injuries took so much of that talent we *did* have, A lot of guys have stepped up to make plays. I think it shows two things... Good coaching, and the "inspiration factor" of RG3.

With RG3 it feels like we have a chance to win against anyone and because of that, everyone seems to step up their game.

But he is actually having a pretty solid year. Kory L needs to go however, he is abysmal. Anyone that thinks he is serviceable needs a head exam.

A 3-1 start going down the tubes last year disagrees with you. He has been terrible in the false start department this season. To me, Kory is the "bad ass" of the line. We need a little grit and he seems to not mind getting dirty.

I think we are fairly deep at interior linemen, Monty is playing well, Chester is okay, Hurt got better with each game last year, we have Ribs in the stable, Gettis getting some weight/strength, and I like Lich... we'll see how well Compton is doing on the practice squad as far as development goes.

But we need to back Will on the Pro Bowl voting, because he seems to be one of the first Redskins linemen in years (other than Chris Samuels and Trent) to get attention from guys like Graziano and even Aikman... which means the players know he's doing well, also. Give him the votes and he should get in.

Monty's been playing his ass off this season. He was always better in pass pro than people gave him credit for, but Monty's been wrecking in the run game after being a straight up liability last year. He's been the best center in the division and one of the best at least in the conference.

Will Montgomery had a very poor year last year. But it has been sandwiched by two very impressive years, and this one is his best. I'd hesitate to call him "dominant" because I tend to think of that term as a big powerful guy who just throws people out of his way (think Carl Nicks). Montgomery never has been that type of player. But he is very efficient in his footwork and in using angles to turn defending players and open up holes. He has done an outstanding job getting to the second level. I watched the game with two of my best friends who have been lifelong football players/coaches and they were both very impressed with Montgomery in particular and how he moved to attack defenders and second level linebackers.

He got started a little late so he's already 29 so we can't expect him to last forever, but I've been very pleased with his play this year and he's been a bigger part of our running success than many on here have realized.

He has been blocking fairly well and putting himself in good position.

However, if I see one more freakin' rainbow snap I'm going to drop kick a kitten.

Put some zing on the ball, Monty! Some zing!

Hahahaha! Could this post get any better?

You should drop kick kittens anyway, otherwise they turn into cats.

Yes, yes it could. :)

Redskins fans in a good mood = teh smile.

Some people tend to think that we should have a pro bowler at every position. Big Will has been playing at that level though and so has Trent. Our line is top 10 and while yes RG3 hides some flaws this group is gelling week by week. Do keep an eye on Lichtensteiger though because he has been falling off hard in the past couple weeks. Could be why the rookie 3rd rounder has been active lately.

Anyone else notice Aikman praising Will Montgomery yesterday? He was talking about how teams need a dominant center, how instrumental that was with Stepnoski, etc. I've never heard Montgomery talked about as anything but part of the general mediocrity (or worse) of our OL. (Then again I think RG3 has a dramatic effect on making our OL look less average.)

Hope he's developing into a solid center or better.

Are you serious?

In that same game Montgomery was described as playing at a pro bowl level this year.

I never here Chester's name during a game so I assume he's doing pretty damn well at least in pass protection. Lichtensteiger on the other hand has had some pretty bad plays. It's hard to do an actual good objective analysis on them without rewatching the game.

Obviously, Polumbus needs to be replaced.

I think he's doing ok. Sure he's not a pro bowler but he's doing what needs to be done. Bottom line that's all it takes to make me like a player.

The way you typically measure offensive lines is by rushing yards and sacks allowed, and in those categories our line has been stellar.

We should have expected this improvement from them. Shanny has earned his reputation as a good offensive line coach, and this group has been able to remain healthy and intact this season, and they have been together for long enough to develop good chemistry.

While it is certainly true that RG3 makes the offensive line and the rest of the offense look good, I think we should give credit to the line too, they are having a good season as a unit. I'm just hoping everybody stays healthy.

Archived