Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Montgomery--Is Aikman right?

RedskinsInFebruary

Anyone else notice Aikman praising Will Montgomery yesterday? He was talking about how teams need a dominant center, how instrumental that was with Stepnoski, etc. I've never heard Montgomery talked about as anything but part of the general mediocrity (or worse) of our OL. (Then again I think RG3 has a dramatic effect on making our OL look less average.)

Hope he's developing into a solid center or better.

The only real glaring hole on the OL has been at RT. Trent is quickly becoming one of the best LTs in the game, and our Guards are above average. Monty is doing very well. Teams aren't really getting a push up the middle on him, and he's great in the ZBS. He's not top 5 or 10, but he's perfect for our offense.

No one on this line has done a very good job outside of Trent. Chester I think could be servicable with a better RT, but only time will tell. While I don't think Monty is good, I don't think he's the biggest of our worries right now.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teamOL.php

That link currently has the Skins ranked 29th, might be a little low, but realistically that's where they stand in a general range as a unit, the bottom of the league.

The o-line has been made to look a lot better than they are due to a mobile QB and a scheme that creates enough confusions to slow defenders down.

In my opinion the true test of an o-line comes when it's an obvious rushing/passing down. I'm talking about being behind 2 scores, obviously passing, and facing off against a defense that knows it. Or being up 2 scores, and trying to run out the clock.

In either of these situations our line hasn't looked that great in my opinion.

I never here Chester's name during a game so I assume he's doing pretty damn well at least in pass protection. Lichtensteiger on the other hand has had some pretty bad plays. It's hard to do an actual good objective analysis on them without rewatching the game.

Obviously, Polumbus needs to be replaced.

The o-line has been made to look a lot better than they are due to a mobile QB and a scheme that creates enough confusions to slow defenders down.

Agreed, adding that we have a helluva talent in our rookie rb and also thinking that are intermittent periods when the line plays above their heads.

Monty has upped his game. He wasn't as bad as some claimed (what else is new?), but the whole OL looked worse under Rex.

However, as good as Monty has looked, I don't think the entire OL deserves much kudos.

RG3 and the run game have made their jobs easier, but even still Polumbus is still a poor RT, Chester is mediocre in pass pro though decent with run blocking, and Licht is only slightly better at pass pro but underperforming this year IMO despite playing between 2 great OL, and seems to have a lot of penalties this season.

The pass pro is ok, but that also has to do with RG3. The pass pro needs to improve. Run block overall has been good, though Morris is helping them there too.

Next year we need a RT and will want to look at replacing Licht with Maurice or LeRibs. Chester is in just 2nd season of ZBS and has at least improved, plus we have more pressing needs elsewhere.

Monty has upped his game. He wasn't as bad as some claimed (what else is new?), but the whole OL looked worse under Rex.

However, as good as Monty has looked, I don't think the entire OL deserves much kudos.

RG3 and the run game have made their jobs easier, but even still Polumbus is still a poor RT, Chester is mediocre in pass pro though decent with run blocking, and Licht is only slightly better at pass pro but underperforming this year IMO despite playing between 2 great OL, and seems to have a lot of penalties this season.

The pass pro is ok, but that also has to do with RG3. The pass pro needs to improve. Run block overall has been good, though Morris is helping them there too.

Next year we need a RT and will want to look at replacing Licht with Maurice or LeRibs. Chester is in just 2nd season of ZBS and has at least improved, plus we have more pressing needs elsewhere.

I agree, our pass pro has not looked good to me at all--RG seems like he's back there running around from defenders like Fran Tarkenton too often, and it happens quickly after the snap. He got hit a lot harder and more often than Romo sits to pee yesterday, despite being, I guess more mobile and the Cowboy's line decimated with injuries.

But the ZBS run blocking for AM seems pretty good (although sometimes it seems we can be dominated when the other team's fired up).

Aikman was being Aikman. Nice dude, diplomatic as they come. He had a decent game. But it may well of been different if Ratliff was facing him.

Outside of Trent and Kory, we could still use serious upgrades at the other three slots. (Lictensteiger too in an ideal World. But he's a serviceable starter until we're in a stronger cap position.). Yes, the whole front 5 has exceeded expectations this year and played well. (Mainly in the run game. Their pass pro still leaves a LOT to be desired oft times.). But the part both the scheme and that young genius in the #10 jersey has played in making them look a whole lot better than they are and masking their deficiency's really can't be understated.

Hopefully, when their upto speed, one or more of last years two guards and right tackle draftees will be an answer. And at the least they'll all provide quality depth, fingers crossed.

Hail.

Yesterday was Trent's worst game of the season by a mile.

According to PFF, Will Montgomery has been the 2nd best center this season behind only John Sullivan of the Vikings. He's graded out positively every game this season with the exception of the game against the Eagles.

Did Trent give up a sack?

Mahons is right. The O-line is overrated because of the way Shanahan uses RG3. In 2008, Mike used Cutler to make the O-line look great, allowing only 11 sacks for the year. Clady allowed just 1.5 sacks. The following year, Clady gave up 8.5 while protecting Orton for McDaniel.

As far as the whole o-line goes, Trent is elite (and by far the best of the group, no shock there), and Chester is a clear second in his performance this season. Chester has always been a quality pass-protector, and his comfort level in the ZBS this year is evident. I think the coaches trust Chester much more (as they should) in protection as more often than not Montgomery is asked to double on Lichtensteiger's man in non-blitzing situations.

Montgomery is a cerebral player who maximizes his talent. He, like Lichtensteiger, will never be a "dominant" center that can anchor against elite NTs time and again, but there are few centers who can. Kory and Will perform very well in the offense that they're asked to run. I like both of these players, and both are plenty good enough to be on a playoff-caliber offense (which this one is). However, when this team falls heavily behind and is forced to drop back consistently, both Monty and Kory can be liabilities.

Polumbus is the clear weakest link, but even he is okay within the scheme. In a predictable dropback game (i.e. Must pass situations), he is he biggest liability.

Just my .02.

Archived