Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Montgomery--Is Aikman right?

RedskinsInFebruary

I think the OL has been playing great all season. They are working pretty well as a cohesive unit and I think the only immediate need is upgrade at RT. Monty has been very good this year too and let's not forget the importance a C/QB chemistry and relationship is. RG3 trusts Monty and he keeps him comfortable. I just really think the OL is in a nice rhythm. They won't stop everything but we have been playing some good defenses and pass rushers all season.

I think a lot of people would look good at C after having Rabach there 5 years longer than he needed to be too so that helps Monty's case.

I found Aikman's comments interesting as well. I did not realize Will was doing anything special. In my opinion Aikman is the best in the business as far as I am concerned in doing exceptional homework/scouting reports. If he says Will is having a great season, I believe it is true.

Remember the game(s) Rabach kept stepping on the QBs feet lol. He made our blitz pickup calls. You would never guess though, because blitzers always seem to have a free lane, like no one was calling them.

Monty has been very good in the run game and play action passing, meh in pocket pass protection, and intangibles probably above average. But I think its hard to grade our linemen in the ZBS, but playing center is no small task, and he is exceeding my expectations.

People don't appreciate just how choreographed the O line play needs to be, when you add to the mix getting to know instinctively what your phenom QB will do, it takes time. This line would have looked better earlier with just a regular ole pocket QB, Griffin adds a ton to the play behind the line. Once they do get it down they'll fine, we may be seeing a bit of that now,

what I think is underrated about our line, i presume they are in great shape running around so much as the do. The D subs out at their leisure (since we never run hurry up) yet its our same 5 guys over and over. I wonder if Kyle calls plays that lets them rest.

Morris had huge block helping out Monty or Will on one of our recent 8 TDs, but I cant remember which one.

Anyone else notice Aikman praising Will Montgomery yesterday? He was talking about how teams need a dominant center, how instrumental that was with Stepnoski, etc. I've never heard Montgomery talked about as anything but part of the general mediocrity (or worse) of our OL. (Then again I think RG3 has a dramatic effect on making our OL look less average.)

Hope he's developing into a solid center or better.

That's why I would never listen to "people". Observe it for yourself, Monty has been a beast this year. It's honestly the best Center play I've seen since I can remember out of the Redskins. He's a beast.

It's always easier to believe the grass is greener over yonder, but the truth is... looking at our run game and offensive production our oline must be pretty good. Yeah, part of it is scheme, but that's always true. Robert helps too, but you better believe our QB depends on the line too. This line has aided Morris to be a stud runner. It has allowed enough time for Griffin to be effective.

I'll agree with anyone who says it ain't the Hogs, but it is far better than what I feared. I worried that the ceiling for this group was around a C and that we likely would be dealing with a D group most of the year. Truth is, Will and the rest have performed well and we should tip our hat or our beer to them.

It's always easier to believe the grass is greener over yonder, but the truth is... looking at our run game and offensive production our oline must be pretty good.

Why? Isn't it possible we have a back that gets a ton of yards after contact, a QB that doesn't allow the backside end to come crashing down, and a scheme that creates enough confusion that the offensive line is always in a favorable matchup?

Yeah, part of it is scheme, but that's always true.

Hoes does a power rushing scheme with an immobile QB help the rushing attack?

Robert helps too, but you better believe our QB depends on the line too.

Certainly, but they haven't done him any favors, which is why the large majority of his yards and big plays have come from either play-action or on plays in which Robert scrambles for his life for a few seconds and then makes a miracle pass down field.

This line has aided Morris to be a stud runner. It has allowed enough time for Griffin to be effective.

The scheme has aided Morris to be a stud runner, and the scheme has allowed for Robert to be effective as have his god given talents. He's succeeding in spite of poor line play, not succeeding due to line play.

A good offensive line can block on obvious passing downs, and convert 1st downs on obvious rushing downs to put the game away. Our line does neither of those.

I'll agree with anyone who says it ain't the Hogs, but it is far better than what I feared. I worried that the ceiling for this group was around a C and that we likely would be dealing with a D group most of the year. Truth is, Will and the rest have performed well and we should tip our hat or our beer to them.

If you think this line is playing better than C, league average what metrics are you going by?

Footballoutsiders has them ranked 17th in run blocking, and 25th in pass blocking. Advanced NFL stats on the WP had them ranked about 28th IIRC. In fact I'm yet to see any metric that has them playing at a level above C.

If you think this line is playing better than C, league average what metrics are you going by?

The one that counts. Offensive production. 'skins are the number 2 rushing offense in the NFC and the number 7 overall offense. You can't do that with a poor line. I think this is one of those times where the whole seems to be better than its individual parts. And yes, Morris does break tackles, but he also gets holes to run through. The o-line is, for the most part, getting it done. It isn't a superior line, but it's good and our Center is a part of that.

Now, I do agree that we don't have a great power line, but there are caveats. How many times have we had 3rd and one and called a pitch play asking a quick, but not fast back to go eight yards parallel to the line of scrimage to get 6 inches. Some of that inefficiency is dumb playcalling.

Archived