Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooooooley!

HeluCopter29

Sweet! Glad he's back. Paulsen showed he can play yesterday as the primary TE, but we were using Cooley more as a blocker the last couple seasons anyways. I don't care who catches the ball, but it seems Paulsen and Cooley can both move the chains on short passing downs.

Sucks to Fred Davis, hope he can recover being the more athletic and legitimate receiving threat of the bunch. As for Paul, hopefully he develops sometime.

Cooley wouldn't come back unless he was the starter, which is why I couldn't give less of a **** about this. I'm over Cooley. I hope he plays well, for the team. But you either want to be there for your teammates, or you don't. And he didn't want to play here or anywhere for the vet min unless he was starting. Now he sees his opportunity and jumps back on board? Not really cool. We've got something special brewing here, but he only wanted to be a part of it under his own terms. Tough to forget that.

He also didn't want to look at anywhere else because DC is the only place he wanted to play.

Skins could have scoured the waiver wire to find someone else but they turned to him first.

Logan Paulsen should be the starter and at this point, he's 20x better than CC.

The Cooley signing was probably just done for depth purposes. I don't expect a lot out of him unless Paul/Paulsen go down w/ an injury. If Cooley was good enough to be here from the jump, he would have been on the 53 man roster out of TC.

He's washed.

i'm happy for Chris Cooley... I wish he would have accepted a pay cut to stay as backup to Fred Davis. It's not like being a backup on this offense means a lot. It seems like everyone is getting a chance to play... even Logan Paulson was starting to get more playing time before the Fred Davis injury. But in any event, there's no one I'd rather replace Fred Davis with then Chris Cooley. I hope he's finally healthy again and plays well.

Completely and utterly disagree Nibbs.

Cooley can't block worth a damn.

Hail.

Completely and utterly false. I don't know what games you've been watching over the last four years or what idiots you've been listening to, but the "Cooley can't block" tripe is just untrue. It's some myth that's cropped up among people as a backlash against the Cooley fandom. Obviously, some people have bought into it.

He's a decent, not great, blocker. But to say "Cooley can't block" or "Cooley can't block worth a damn" is false.

I just dont like the idea of getting older as opposed to giving a young player an opportunity. Cooley will inevitably take over the starting roll and for what reason? Its not like he'll be around when this team is truly ready to contend. I'd rather roll the dice and evaluate paulsen and niles. This move is remnance of the past.

niles is terrible; blocking is bad...hands are bad......he is what he was last year, a special teams player.

Paulsen stepped in and did well yes but give teams a week knowing he is our starting TE.

We've gone from very deep at tight end in training camp to, I fully expect, going back to the drawing board at tight end this offseason.

I just love the thought of Cooley coming back in the wake of Davis' injury. I think it's possible he can give the team a boost...even if it's not with his play. He's a beloved figure in DC and he solidified it by turning down other teams that wanted him to play for them. It was the Redskins or nothing. Cooley bleeds burgundy and gold, for that alone I think he deserves to be a part of this team.

I don't know how much Cooley's got left in the tank, but let's not forget that he's only 30 years old and that as recently as 2010 he put up career numbers in receptions (77) and yards (849).

His knee surgery was on January 3, 2011 - almost two years ago now. The 2011 season was a wash-out because he wasn't fully recovered from the knee surgery and then broke a finger, shutting him down. If he still has the fire to play, don't be surprised if he contributes significantly on offense before the season is out.

But that might be the key... does he still have the fire? Maybe getting this second chance after getting cut and staring at the end of his career will motivate him. By the same token, the comfort of retired life might have softened him. I guess we'll see which it is in the weeks ahead.

Completely and utterly false. I don't know what games you've been watching over the last four years or what idiots you've been listening to, but the "Cooley can't block" tripe is just untrue. It's some myth that's cropped up among people as a backlash against the Cooley fandom. Obviously, some people have bought into it.

He's a decent, not great, blocker. But to say "Cooley can't block" or "Cooley can't block worth a damn" is false.

Can't block to any significant degree to have any real impact out there.

Better? Because that's not false in everything I've seen of him through his career. Right up until the ridiculous experiment of him playing FB this past off-season.

Hail.

I just dont like the idea of getting older as opposed to giving a young player an opportunity. Cooley will inevitably take over the starting roll and for what reason? Its not like he'll be around when this team is truly ready to contend. I'd rather roll the dice and evaluate paulsen and niles. This move is remnance of the past.

If, as you say, it is inevitable that he starts, that means that it is inevitable that he will be the best healthy TE on our roster. If that is the case, than he should start. I fail to see the problem with that.

Why? Paulsen was plenty good in Davis` absence, he deserves his shot.

That's one TE, we need two. Cooley has no speed but he's still a solid 10 yard possession TE. And he actually blocks. And he knows the playbook.

Welcome back Captain Chaos.

What we need now is a safety or DB.

Niles Paul has been anything but good this season! They should start Cooley over him all day. Plus Cooley has better hands. Niles is faster and more athletic but he seems clueless A LOT of times. Did you see that horrific attempt at blocking JPP that got RG3 sacked????? WOW

John Keim wrote a bit about this - basically Paul is still learning as he goes:

"Niles Paul just hasn’t transitioned to tight end well enough to be a full-time alternative. He’s fast, but you just haven’t seen his speed at the position yet. He’s also learning to be a blocker along the line. For my email report last week he admitted his athleticism got him through OTAs and the summer. When the games started he realized how important technique was. We saw that on one of the Giants’ sacks, when Robert Griffin III rolled to the right and was going to throw back left to Paul. But Pierre-Paul knew what was coming so when Paul went to cut him, the Giants’ end avoided him, leaving Paul on the ground and Griffin in trouble. “Maybe I should have stayed up and blocked him,” Paul said. “We’re taught if he forces that hard to cut him. He just made a great athletic move.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/giants-27-redskins-23-ten-observations/article/2511372#.UIUUtYagSSo

I expected to have a large group of posters against the move to bring Cooley back but I still don't understand it.

At this point Paul is a special teamer. He's good enough at that to justify a roster spot and he is hopefully developing as a TE. However the fact that he is a converted WR but can't seem to catch the football is a red flag to me. I don't think he's all of a sudden going to become an elite pass catcher. Paulsen is a good blocker and had some nice catches yesterday but is still very unproven. He's been here long enough to earn a role in the passing game and it hasn't happened.

Cooley is cheap, he knows the offense, and he has played in this offense as recently as a few months ago. I don't expect him to jump in and make the Pro Bowl but I'm not sure you could find a better replacement going into week 7.

Cooley wouldn't come back unless he was the starter, which is why I couldn't give less of a **** about this. I'm over Cooley. I hope he plays well, for the team. But you either want to be there for your teammates, or you don't. And he didn't want to play here or anywhere for the vet min unless he was starting. Now he sees his opportunity and jumps back on board? Not really cool. We've got something special brewing here, but he only wanted to be a part of it under his own terms. Tough to forget that.

Ridiculous.

Yeah ConnSKINS that is ridiculous. He's a veteran player, he didn't want to ride the bench. That is 100% understandable. He clearly is not playing for the money, or he would have happily sat on the bench and collected a sweet paycheck. The fact he wants to start shows he still has passion for the game.

Archived