Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooooooley!

HeluCopter29

Cooley wouldn't come back unless he was the starter, which is why I couldn't give less of a **** about this. I'm over Cooley. I hope he plays well, for the team. But you either want to be there for your teammates, or you don't. And he didn't want to play here or anywhere for the vet min unless he was starting. Now he sees his opportunity and jumps back on board? Not really cool. We've got something special brewing here, but he only wanted to be a part of it under his own terms. Tough to forget that.

Based on what I was hearing him say on Redskins Nation I didn't think that it was going to take a starting position to get him to come back.

Based on what I was hearing him say on Redskins Nation I didn't think that it was going to take a starting position to get him to come back.

Before this injury to Davis, the last I heard was that he wasn't going to sign anywhere for the vet min to be a backup. Maybe he now sees an opportunity, or maybe those sources or whatever were wrong and he just needed a break in general.

Before this injury to Davis, the last I heard was that he wasn't going to sign anywhere for the vet min to be a backup. Maybe he now sees an opportunity, or maybe those sources or whatever were wrong and he just needed a break in general.

TK alluded in another thread he won't get much more than vet min. So, I figure he knows the system, what can it hurt?

Yeah, I'm sure his numbers are gonna jump right off the page.

For years he's been one of the few (and I mean VERY f'n few) bright spots on this team. You give Cooley the chance to contribute and he will. No one has any delusions about him going to a pro bowl but who knows.. I don't and certainly neither do you. Since this thread is called Coooley! (as in excited to see him return) I suggest you find or create a thread to bash the move and leave those that are actually happy to see him back to enjoy and discuss.

I just dont like the idea of getting older as opposed to giving a young player an opportunity. Cooley will inevitably take over the starting roll and for what reason? Its not like he'll be around when this team is truly ready to contend. I'd rather roll the dice and evaluate paulsen and niles. This move is remnance of the past.

I dont think it can hurt to have him around coaching up the younger guys. Paulsen and Paul may very well get the same amount of playing time, if not more.

TK alluded in another thread he won't get much more than vet min. So, I figure he knows the system, what can it hurt?

Definitely don't have a problem with it, especially since there isn't anything else out there at TE at all. I just don't think he's going to play a large role. We'll see!

Paulsen can block. Cooley can't.

Not remotely true. Paulsen may be a blocker you can count on more consistently, but Cooley improved his blocking a great deal since his rookie year. He was a better blocker than Fred Davis was (though Fred also improved) and that was one of the parts of his game that I thought was putting him higher up the list of TEs before age/injuries forced his decline. Now, what he will be like now after coming back I have no idea but he WAS a good (not great) blocker.

Redskins fans love to fall in love with long shots. Paulsen and Paul have had chances to get on the field and stay there. Cooley has the most receptions of any TE in redskin history. Davis showed that he had tremendous ability and took the starting spot from Cooley and proved he deserved it by leading the team in receptions this year. Paulsen and Paul haven't shown themselves to be in the same class with Cooley and Davis and until they do there is no reason to assume they belong.

If Cooley has anything left he'll be starting soon.

I expect them to give Paul this year and next years Training Camp to work on the transition, they cant just quit on it 7 games into the season, the dudes played WR his entire life. I think Cooley is gonna be great, he will show us that he can still compete. I expect to see Paulson a lot, but i dont see him as a starting TE, not enough seperation. But he does have amazing hands, can block, and is very good at adjusting his route to get open.

But nobody available can play to the level Davis can play at.

Not remotely true. Paulsen may be a blocker you can count on more consistently, but Cooley improved his blocking a great deal since his rookie year. He was a better blocker than Fred Davis was (though Fred also improved) and that was one of the parts of his game that I thought was putting him higher up the list of TEs before age/injuries forced his decline. Now, what he will be like now after coming back I have no idea but he WAS a good (not great) blocker.

Completely and utterly disagree Nibbs.

Cooley can't block worth a damn. To say he's a better blocker than Davis is far more an indictment of that facet of Fred's game than it is a plus for Chris.

Hail.

Because Niles Paul ain't worth doodley squat at TE?

How very Kilgore Trout of you with your "doodley squat" A+! I love that Chris Cooley is back. I hate that it happened this way, but I am excited for him. I for one think he has a lot left to give this franchise, and this is his chance to prove so.

HTTR

To me, this is just fantastic news (though terrible for Fred Davis, hope he recovers fully from this and comes back very strong next year). Personally I like Paulsen's potential, but ...so glad to have Cooley back!!!

I know there are a lot of others not so thrilled. It'd be interesting to see if anyone would want to put forward what numbers Cooley would need to put up to convince them that he is still productive and that this was a great move. Obviously the main way to gauge that would be to look at his production over the rest of the season (if he's here that long). But if, for instance he gets 3-5 catches for 25-40 yards average over the next few games, makes some great blocks, lifts team morale, etc. would some you who don't like the move change their mind? Or is it ...don't care, it's Cooley, hate it?

I'll add one thing. After being one of the rare bright spots on a offense that consistently was the team's weak link for YEARS, I think it is fantastic that Cooley gets to play on a Redskin offense that is scoring high 20's per game. How much labor did he put in on offenses that struggling like hell to get as high as 20?!

Cool (:ols:). I hope that Paulsen and Paul still get the chance to start...and I expect that they will.

Niles Paul has been anything but good this season! They should start Cooley over him all day. Plus Cooley has better hands. Niles is faster and more athletic but he seems clueless A LOT of times. Did you see that horrific attempt at blocking JPP that got RG3 sacked????? WOW

I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

He's also a good pass blocker.

True and it will reduce the times I call the Shannys idiots for having Niles Paul trying to block a pass rusher when he is still a Wide Receiver pretending to be a Tight end.

And there will be fewer motion penalties at critical moments.

Archived