Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

You know I never said that man.

I was just responding to your post suggesting Jackson had filled Orakpo's cleats adequately.

Hail.

My mistake. In fairness, I said that Jackson has "held his own" which I meant to mean that he could be a part of a successful defense. The entire point of me making that statement was to mention that even if Orakpo is gone, I would address the secondary before I even think about wasting resources to upgrade our already-average OLB position.

Dallas was like 5 million under the cap after there penalty last year. They went out and got Carr and another couple of players for a lot more than 5 million. So there are always ways around the cap. As for draft, good teams find talent in later rounds and were only missing the 1st rd pick. So there is no reason why this team can't be a serious contender next year if we work on the secondary. We need to get healthy and work on the secondary. I mean every team in the NFL has holes the problem is most of our holes are on defense and in the secondary.

I would retweet this if I could. I think we can get a stud in FA.

On the offensive side we don't really need to do much. Not saying that that the o-line besides Trent is good, or even that our receivers are good but the simple fact that our offense is top 5 with a rookie QB means that we can hold off on getting a big FA or using a early draft pick. On the other side the D that is currently on pace to make history in passing yards allowed and should be addressed ASAP. We should probably get a D-Coordinator, not sure if Raheem is the answer but we need someone. Our secondary sucks, on pace for record number of passing yards allowed, and our front seven is middle of the road, currently 17th in sacks. I'd say a top CB like Carr or Joseph from FA should help immensely.The Redskins have been great at working the cap to get players so I'm sure they could find a way. Then I say we get Best Def. player available in the second that is not a CB. I don't feel we are far off at all just a year as long as RG3 marginally improves next season.

I think we have enough ammo to bolster our D in the offseason.

We could use another playmaker on O, but I think the fact that we are so young on O is a huge positive for us moving forward. Outside of Moss (I think), our entire offense is 26 yrs or younger. They aren't going anywhere.

Draft defense, sign FAs on defense, get our injured players back on defense. I think we make the playoffs next year, and would be nipping at that this year without the bad breaks. And who knows...the season isn't over yet. :)

We will be competing for a Wild Card this year. Mark it down--we are going to be 5-4 heading into the bye week. Pitt doesn't scare me at all.

Two years from now might as well be 5 years in "NFL Years." There's just no way anyone can make such a definitive claim. One or two moves can change everything and the OP is severely underestimating the impact of injuries. Also, consider the fact that the 9-7 Giants won last year's SB with a bad OL and a dead last rushing attack. There's absolutely no way this team won't be competitive next year with RG3, Morris, Garcon, Fred Davis, the return of Rak, and upgrades at S, which in our case would be any safety with a pulse. Any semblance of an upgrade at S and nickel CB has this team as a serious contender in the NFC. Easily.

Addressing it however, is easier said than done.

Hail.

I understand your concern hombre, and it may well play out the way you say... but I've got a slightly different view that hopefully sheds a ray of hope on ya'.

In terms of the secondary, a lot of it is blown coverage and poor coaching. Nothing shocking there. Of course a portion of it is talent as you said. However, as you know, we've got a lot of guys missing time back there. All three safeties (Merriweather, Bernstine and Jackson) are potentially better than any of the four that have played. That doesn't mean our problems are solved starting next year, but even if just one these guys pan out, we're probably significantly better. Obviously, a good chunk of the big plays against us can be laid at the feet of our current safeties. Jackson is a question mark, but it would be a marked improvement if any of them could just play like a top 20 or 25 at their position. Heck, as irritated as I am with Williams, perhaps he improves slightly with more time in the system. I recall Wilson talking about how long it took for him to just react instead of thinking.

With better safety help, I think Hall and Wilson are okay corners. If any of Griffin (again, new scheme), Crawford or Minnifield can step up, then things improve.

Essentially, I think that we have a chance at improving significantly (ie. out of the bottom 5 or even bottom 10) without even utilizing FA or the draft. We're certainly better off next year, the question is how much? And how much would we have to improve to 'compete'? With this offense, a slight improvement could be enough. Now that's pinning our hopes on Griffin, but who doesn't pin their hopes on their franchise qb?

Really, I feel about the same with our pass rush. A few guys are unavailable (Orakpo, Carriker and Nield) and we have some new faces still learning the scheme and how to play together (Baker, Jenkins, Wilson, White, Robinson and even Alexander and Jackson to an extent). Again, good chance at improving even without adding anyone.

Anyway, partly cloudy is better than cloudy (when you don't want rain, I guess? Sorry, poor analogy, maybe it was the ray of light thing sticking with me)

I think we have enough ammo to bolster our D in the offseason.

We could use another playmaker on O, but I think the fact that we are so young on O is a huge positive for us moving forward. Outside of Moss (I think), our entire offense is 26 yrs or younger. They aren't going anywhere.

Draft defense, sign FAs on defense, get our injured players back on defense. I think we make the playoffs next year, and would be nipping at that this year without the bad breaks. And who knows...the season isn't over yet. :)

I agree with this. I honestly wouldn't be against literally spending the entire draft on BPA on defense. We really need some playmakers on that side of the ball. I would look in order for S, CB, a dynamic DL and LB. That is where we really need better depth I think. If Crawford or Minnifield develop, even better.

Our offense has shown with RG3 they can produce at a very high level with what we have. The are very young as well and should only get better as they grow together.

I think the OL drafted this year will progress nicely by next season too and may be ready to contribute then as well. I am happy with our WR core with Garcon back and the rest of the guys coming along. Would be nice to have a more solid #3 but I really believe Hankerson or Robinson will grow into that role.

If we can grab a cheap OL that is an improvement or speed back for option situations in FA then, by all means, go for it. We should be able to resign Davis for much cheaper than we expected to now with this injury also.

If we do that, I think we can really be a force next year but I have said multiple times we can get on a roll this year too. I really think we can be 5-4 heading into the bye and from there, we could easily work a few division games to slip into the playoffs.

We are competing NOW.

Exactly, but I guess some people didn't see that we were within a minute of winning on the road against the SB Champs despite 4 2nd half turnovers, a phantom leg whip costing us a score and about 1/2 of our star players out for the year.

• 2 months later...

Too many old thread bumps to keep up with today.

I don't think the OP was that far off considering what we knew at the time, but I'm happy it turned out to be wrong.

I think it is safe to say that this team has more than exceeded expectations. I cannot wait to see what happens next . . .

Not to hijack this thread, but since the regular season is now over, can the OP (GHH) finally change that god-awful sig of Sexy Rexy?

Just wondering about the stipulations of the bet you lost GHH.

Anyways, nice bump on this thread. Love reading opinions like this in hind-sight.

Thank you to my beloved Redskins!

Not to hijack this thread, but since the regular season is now over, can the OP (GHH) finally change that god-awful sig of Sexy Rexy?

Just wondering about the stipulations of the bet you lost GHH.

Anyways, nice bump on this thread. Love reading opinions like this in hind-sight.

Thank you to my beloved Redskins!

Actually, at this point I don't think he should get rid of it until the Redskins lose one. Ya never know what will tip the balance.

Actually, at this point I don't think he should get rid of it until the Redskins lose one. Ya never know what will tip the balance.

You are probably right about that Burgold. Been sportin my Sean Taylor jerseys all thru this 7-game win streak. I damn well won't stop now.:ols:

Hail

All Star Running game-Check

Probowl QB-Check

Solid Receiving core-Check

Solid O-Line-Check

Solid LB core-Check

Clutch PK-Check

WWE Style Punter-Check

A little more depth at the O-Line (we've been fortunate with limited injuries) and an upgrade to our secondary...watch out NFL, we will be a big thread every year! Even with the salary cap hit, we should be in contention next year too

Here's the thing I've realized by the end of this year, and it's a good feeling. We need a few starting pieces, and we have our depth here.

Defense

Safety is probably our biggest problem spot right now. We have Gomes for depth and...Gomes. Reed could be kept around as a 5th Safety if it came to it as well. But we need a start FS and either a starting SS or a potential starter along with Merriweather healthy next year.

Cornerback, we need to rework Halls contract or let him go. Wilson is absolutely fine as a #2. Crawford, Griffin, and hopefully Minnifield next year gives us good depth. We need probably one more starting quality CB.

Linebackers? Perhaps a MLB, but for the most part we're solid here. Nose Tackle? Coefield has been great and Neild with Baker gives good depth. Defensive End, with Jenkins, Coefield, and Carriker back, is also solid.

Offense

On the O-Line, the only one close to a "need" is perhaps a stud Right Tackle. And Compton / Hurt may make that less than necessary. I think we're fine at Guards and Center right now in terms of starters. I'd like to find a backup center though. We have good young depth with Hurt, LeRibius, Compton. Just need to find us a backup center and keep a depth vet tackle if Hurt or Compton don't move into the RT spot.

Wide out, I think we're fine. I'm sure Shanny may take a flier on a late round or undrafted WR, but I'm fine riding with this corp and seeing if they grow

Tight End. This is our biggest problem area on offense actually, imho. It may not be, if we resign Davis. But with the suspension then the injury, you don't break the bank for him. If he walks, you need someone because Paulsen and Paul are solid but not what you want in regular starters.

Running Back. Once more, I'm fine here. I think this is another position Shanahan may take a late round flier, but it's by no means a need. I think Helu comes back and becomes the change of pace guy for us, similar to Banks in the diamond packages.

QB. Duh, we're good here.

Special Teams

Sav should be coming back as the Punter. Nick Sundberg will continue to be a double hard SOB at long snapper. And Cobra Kai locks up our field goal situation.

So what? Starting FS and TE definitely. Then potential starting CB, SS, RT? Developmental MLB? Try and grab a top free agent FS and a higher end CB with our bit of cap space. Look for a SS, RT, and MLB in the draft along with another potential CB?

I don't think we're as far as away form having a solid, young team on both sides of the ball that won't just compete to make the playoffs but compete for the division every year.

I'm sure we all have different sized helpings of crow to eat after this 7-game stretch. I had to bump this one only because I remembered how depressed it made me feel when I first read it. I'm sure the OP is happy to be wrong. :)

Archived