Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

...... You make fun of me for my claim last year that we didn't have to lose out to get RG3, yet isn't that exactly what happened? Isn't that why you have that awesome sig now?

Uhmm, no and no.

I have the signature I've not bothered changing due to one loss. You wanted us to win every game, which if we had, we doubtless wouldn't be sitting pretty at the most important position on the team with the once in a generation guy we do have. In large part due to those loses. So your claim wasn't a claim in any shape or form. Just because we ended up with him by virtue of two more wins than the thread that sent you apoplectic last year doesn't vindicate what you argued against.

And I aren't giving up on anything. Just being realistic in what we have, IMHO, and what we have to work with going forward.

But hey, that won't be known one way or the other until the end of this season and next. So it's all conjecture whichever way you come at this from.

Competing for honors or not.

Hail.

I thought this post was pretty ridiculous when I first saw it, so I skipped to the end. Forgive me for not reading every defense of and counter to this idea, but isnt this completely devaluing coaching? With mostly the same personnel save for injuries to AC and Orakpo, and lesser S play...the D was much better with Spanos still around to show how the 3-4 should actually work. With the O working as it is now, and the 3-4 ran correctly again(Haz has got to go!) we can compete immediately. You can scheme around some bad play. No team has 1st rounders at every position. If we cant compete til the full amount of our $ is available or we have 1st rounders to use again, everyone should be fired including Bruce and the entire scouting staff. Sign a new capable DC and continue to draft well and we are ready to go. Now.

With mostly the same personnel save for injuries to AC and Orakpo, and lesser S play...the D was much better with Spanos still around to show how the 3-4 should actually work. With the O working as it is now, and the 3-4 ran correctly again (Haz has got to go!) we can compete immediately. Sign a new capable DC and continue to draft well and we are ready to go. Now.

I totally agree. Send Redskin One to California NOW. I keep thinking our D secondary will snap out of their crapola with each week for at LEAST one game, but they never do. It just goes on and on.

I thought this post was pretty ridiculous when I first saw it, so I skipped to the end. Forgive me for not reading every defense of and counter to this idea, but isnt this completely devaluing coaching? With mostly the same personnel save for injuries to AC and Orakpo, and lesser S play...the D was much better with Spanos still around to show how the 3-4 should actually work. With the O working as it is now, and the 3-4 ran correctly again(Haz has got to go!) we can compete immediately. You can scheme around some bad play. No team has 1st rounders at every position. If we cant compete til the full amount of our $ is available or we have 1st rounders to use again, everyone should be fired including Bruce and the entire scouting staff. Sign a new capable DC and continue to draft well and we are ready to go. Now.

I completely agree on Haslett. He's a career average, one dimensional, totally uninventive coordinator. And I personally think Morris is the next DC iin-waiting. 9 games until he gets the gig.

But even if Haslett was canned today and Raheem installed, he'd have to scheme like nobody's ever schemed before to cover the deficiencies of the secondary. We have, IMHO, at best one true starting caliber talent among the corners, if complimented by another quality corner, and nothing else. That's three starters down right there in a pass happy league getting better all the time across the board. It's hard to mask a lack of talent to such a degree no matter how you prepare and try mask/ compensate for it.

Would a new coordinator help? No question. As would any upgrade in personnel. I just don't see how you can upgrade significantly in another handicapped off-season for the back end of the unit to not consistently hold up what's happening on offense for another year, maybe two dependent on how we view the RT situation and use FA when we get back to a level playing field in 2014.

Sure, we'll compete in games. We are now. Nobody's doubting that. But to consistently come out on the plus side of that, without expecting the O to perform heroics each week; is a heck of an ask by just 'patching up' an already woeful area of the team.

Anyone can feel free to bump this and point the finger solely at me, but I don't see the post-season on the horizon until at lest the 2014 season given what we have to do. And the handicap placed on that.

Hail.

GHH,

This is the slippery slope of last year's fan strategy. It makes it so much easier to become defeatist when you begin cheering and rooting for losses. The cup is actually more than half full. We have a solid d line which is a big thing, a qb, a good running back, a very good left tackle, and a better line than I thought. Our receivers don't drop many and are at least solid. Our linebackers ain't bad. Still feel good about Orakpo, Ryan, and Kerrigan going into next year and who can't love Lorenzo.

So, that leaves us one major hole to fill. With better scheme and a better passrush... Orakpo's wheels were uninjured so it shouldn't take him as long to return to game field speed... we'll be doing okay. We can even ugrade safety and cb without getting superstar play. Average safties will make a huge difference.

Haslett has the propensity to call exactly the wrong play at the wrong moment. He consistently dials up a play which gives the big one away. Don't imagine there can't be a huge gain just by getting a better tactician. Yesterday's loss was one in which apparently no coach told Hall to stop giving up that outside leverage or get the linebacker to fill. Heck, if Aikman could see that Hall was giving up gimme passes pre-snap so do most opposing qbs and so should Haslett and Morris 7 games in!

With the greatest of respect Burgold, personally speaking, this has jack **** to do with last year. And it's a little insulting to have it suggested as such from someone I have the greatest of time for.

From others, not least one's already rearing their head in this thread, I'd expect that flippant response. Not so much from a poster of the caliber such as yourself.

A win yesterday wouldn't of changed my view on the overall situation going forward and the task at hand, made that much harder through no fault of our own; as I presently see it.

Hail.

Wasn't trying to be flip.

Last week, after the victory I wrote about how we the fans need to learn to win again. I think there is a decay in the overall spirit. We're not as far off as you believe. Think about all the good pieces we have. Think of all that is right on this team.

Running back, QB, Effective O-line and D-line, above average line backing, good enough receivers, poor db play. Terrible defensive playcalling.

Get the mental part of the game right (aka get a better defensive coordinator) and get some blue collar vs. blue chipper defensive back help and I think we'll be good to go. As I said in the other thread, we don't need Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed. We need a Brad Edwards or Ryan Clark. Those can be found even with the draft and cap restrictions we have to deal with.

I know the $36 million had to be divided up into two years with at least $18 mil this year. Did we choose to go $18/$18 or did we stay more than $18 mil under this year's cap?

Originally we were told we could divide it up any way we saw fit, but later we were told we had to do 18 and 18.

I know the $36 million had to be divided up into two years with at least $18 mil this year. Did we choose to go $18/$18 or did we stay more than $18 mil under this year's cap?

From what I recall the NFL first said we could take it all at once. They then of course changed their minds and said we had to split it.

Disagree, Skins are competing now. The fact is the Redskins are two games down from first, there are 9 games left to be played. They lost yesterday after suffering two horrible calls and a defensive breakdown with 1;20 some seconds left to go. They were playing the Champs at Home, with an established team that has been playing well. Don't tell me that they are not competing right now. Much more so than I thought at the beginning of the year. The Giants finished the year last year exactly where? And they won it all. If the Redskins get on a roll mid to late season, look out.

Originally we were told we could divide it up any way we saw fit, but later we were told we had to do 18 and 18.

That doesn't help our rebuilding process at all...

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 08:29 AM ----------

That doesn't help our rebuilding process at all...

Disagree, Skins are competing now. The fact is the Redskins are two games down from first, there are 9 games left to be played. They lost yesterday after suffering two horrible calls and a defensive breakdown with 1;20 some seconds left to go. They were playing the Champs at Home, with an established team that has been playing well. Don't tell me that they are not competing right now. Much more so than I thought at the beginning of the year. The Giants finished the year last year exactly where? And they won it all. If the Redskins get on a roll mid to late season, look out.

Aside from being only two games out of first, you really feel confident with this D that we can contend for January play this season?

We're competing game-on-game. Nobody doubts that. But when it's by virtue of the O, and one guy in particular; with little to no help from the other side of the ball; chances are that's only gona' carry you so far.

Hail.

Green Bay... New England... New Orleans... all hemmorage points through the air at times in the recent past or present, but still went on to win Championships. Granted... it's clear as to why we will probably fall short this year for the post season, and that massively disappoints. But the change on offense, the maturity of the two rookie playmakers we have seen, for me indicates that the glass is definately "half full"

We have been one play... one mistake... one call (that call on Polumbus sucked bollocks yesterday one play before the Morris fumble) away from being 6-1.

Nothing I would like more than being able to upgarde at safety or corner now, as with it... i see the playoffs. But progress should be judged on bith sides of the ball... and on offense, that difference is night and day. On defense... i wouldn't say we have neccesarily gone backwards.

Given the roster now, compared with when Shanahan took over... i don't see why we cannot continue to progress for the remainder of this year and through the off-season into 2013.

I do wish London Fletcher was 26 years old though!

HAIL!

Aside from being only two games out of first, you really feel confident with this D that we can contend for January play this season?

We're competing game-on-game. Nobody doubts that. But when it's by virtue of the O, and one guy in particular; with little to no help from the other side of the ball; chances are that's only gona' carry you so far.

Hail.

That would be the general opinion yet somehow the Giants last year were in a very similar situation and got on a roll and won it all. As sure as this is general opinion with foundation so is the notion that the D could somehow finds it's traction and start to play consistent from start to finish. If the secondary continues to play the way it is .500 maybe a stretch. But this Offense gives the team a shot if the D could just stop giving up the big play. I will throw a couples names at you and if they were playing yesterday the game is most likely won, Merriweather and Pugh, Madea Williams failed to keep Cruz in front of him, that was his job on that play. So if not for one play and two questionable at best calls, the Redskins win against the Giants at home and on a roll themselves. I refuse to give up on this team this year, they play with such heart.

Sports is 95% mental. This team has gotten much better as it it has flushed out the bad "juju" of the carry over players. With that said 83, 23 and 89 need to go. This team will not move forward with these divas.

Moss is a Diva? Have you ever met the guy? He shows up does what is asked of him, doesn't say much and produces on the field (Oh except for the fumble).. I've met Moss on a number of different occasions as I'm sure many here have and I'm sure they'd tell you the same thing. Very nice guy

We still don't know how to close games out. The Giants were done after the Moss TD. The secondary let us down. How is it obvious to me and not the ppl playing know that Eli Manning was going to toss it up to Cruz? Good teams win under these circumstances. We are not a good team yet. We are good on offense, but as a "team", we have 2-3 years away.

Today's performance is exactly what everyone should've been expecting from the moment we hired Shanahan. Great offensive stats, late round RBs going >1200 yards their rookie year, and lousy defenses with weak secondaries led by mediocre to awful coordinators. We will totter between 8-8 and 10-6. This is just what Denver went through last decade. Granted, RG3 is Shanny's best QB since Elway, but thinking thinking we can ignore the preceding ten years of Shanny's tenure as indicative of. What his time here would be like is almost as delusional as people who thought an aging McNabb without Brian Westbrook would suddenly become an accurate passer once he put on a Skins uni. Shanny will restore respectabilty and make us division contenders, but I wouldn't plan on making any extra space in the trophy case anytime soon.

Today's performance is exactly what everyone should've been expecting from the moment we hired Shanahan. Great offensive stats, late round RBs going >1200 yards their rookie year, and lousy defenses with weak secondaries led by mediocre to awful coordinators. We will totter between 8-8 and 10-6. This is just what Denver went through last decade. Granted, RG3 is Shanny's best QB since Elway, but thinking thinking we can ignore the preceding ten years of Shanny's tenure as indicative of. What his time here would be like is almost as delusional as people who thought an aging McNabb without Brian Westbrook would suddenly become an accurate passer once he put on a Skins uni. Shanny will restore respectabilty and make us division contenders, but I wouldn't plan on making any extra space in the trophy case anytime soon.

someone has a case of the Mondays, the fact is shanny inheritied a awful team full of "me" type players. This overhaul is really only in season #2 as he tried the win now in his first season with McNabb. I like where the team is going. We are still another draft or two, plus free agency to get this team to the top of the pile. I can live with that especially since we are competing right now with the pieces we have.

Archived