Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why we can't compete until 2014 at the earliest. Maybe 2015. All through little fault of our own.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

What a bull**** post. Last year you were pulling for us to lose out and now this? Has there ever been a bigger hand-wringing debbie downer on extremeskins?

Can't compete? The Skins competed today against the superbowl champs in their house. Put up almost 500 yards of offense, and had it not been for the turnovers and a few questionable calls they probavbly would have won.

When you have a stud QB playing at a high level, you can always compete. There is no reason to think that RG3 won't get better with time, and he's already damn good. There's also no reason to think that the Shannys won't continue to develop this offense as RG3 continues to learn. The kid has the brains and ability to be able to manage a huge playbook. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. Wait til RG3 starts regularly calling plays and audibles on the line with this offense ala Peyton Manning.

The Skins are going to have to get creative with their roster. They're going to have to find some good players in the mid and lower rounds of the draft, and they're going to have to make some quality signings. Just because the Skins only have 3 mil under the cap now doesn't mean they won't have more cap space available next offseason. You don;t think players like Santana won't restructure to stay with the Skins and play with RG3? You don't think players might want to come play with RG3?

Also, the Skins might not be as unlucky with injuries every year as thye have been this year. In today's nfl, a team's good or bad luck with injuries has a huge impact on how they compete in any given season. Don;t forget our best defender and best receiver(and now second best receiver), are out for the year.

In today's nfl, there are no perfect teams. The Saints and Packers defenses weren't that great when they won their superbowls, but they created turnovers, and their offenses were able to outscore opponents.

I am so psyched that we finally have an elite QB. The sky is the limit with this dude, and anybody who can't see the potential there just doesn't get it. The Skins just need to be smart with the draft and cap management/free agency, and as RG3 gets better and better they will be able to compete with anyone.

Couldn't disagree more, GHH. In my mind, we're competitive this year. Not greatly so, but competitive nonetheless. There's no way to tell right now just how effective we'll be next year in Free Agency... you're simply assuming we won't be.

If we can bring in a solid FA class as well as continue to draft like we have been, we should be able to compete for real next season. I just don't see how one could give that belief up so easily right now. Oh well, this is what losses usually do to confidence.

Now, can we improve the defense next year with a couple cheap pieces in FA and a hit in the draft? Yes, but we tried that this year and it hasn't worked so far.

Well, the majority of our money and picks went to offense this year. Garcon and Morgan were our two biggest offseason acquisitions in FA, and RGIII ate 2 picks, in addition to LeRibeus and Cousins in the first 4 rounds. Only Keenan Robinson was added defensively in the first 4 rounds, and our biggest defensive acquisition (not including re-acquiring Fletcher) was Meriweather.

We are about 6M under the cap currently, which carries to next year. Hall is getting something like 8M base, before bonuses, which go into the millions, Moss is getting like 4M, and cutting Brown after June 1 could save us another 3ishM. Basically, if we cut Brown, and renegotiate Hall's and Moss' contracts to about half their penalty, we could potentially have around 15M to work with. If Hall or Moss decide not to take a pay cut and leave, then we could have over 20M (with the caveat that we'd need to add a corner to replace Hall).

Safeties can be acquired for reasonable cost in the market, top salaries are around 7M, which isn't bad, and solid but not top safeties should run closer to 4-5M. Corners are more expensive, a top guy will cost us around 10M, but in that case we could theoretically do a 1-for-1 swap, cutting Hall and adding someone like DRC who would immediately become our #1.

I think our defense is closer than we think. Bring Orakpo and Carriker back in, and add two decent safeties (I'd have no problem sinking 14M in two safeties in the offseason) and I think this defense can be average to above average.

While our offseason could flop, and not having cap or a 1st hurts our chances in that regard, we don't need pro-bowlers. We need solid starters who can stay on the field and contribute in some consistent way, and those are out there if we look. With some smart moves, I see no reason we can't compete for a playoff spot next year.

We turned the ball over 4 times. Most teams that turn the ball over 4 times get blown out.

If it wasn't for a major mental meltdown by Wilson and Williams we win this game.

I feel like we're talking about some alternate reality.

This. RG3 played out of his mind again. I'm way to pumped about RG3 to get down and say we can't compete for 2 years.

There's improving, and improving to any significant degree.

It would be hard not to improve on our safety's for example. But just getting a little bit better, although improvement as of itself; isn't gona' make a whole lot of difference over the course of a season.

Hail.

Yeah, but that's the thing, we have backups out there right now, so an improvement to starter quality safeties would actually be a huge upgrade. It wouldn't make us a top defense, but we'd probably jump to middle of the pack and would win a couple more games we lost.

We turned the ball over 4 times. Most teams that turn the ball over 4 times get blown out.

If it wasn't for a major mental meltdown by Wilson and Williams we win this game.

I feel like we're talking about some alternate reality.

I wouldn't call "expecting safety help over the top like any corner would expect any safety to do" a mental meltdown for Josh, but otherwise I agree.

I love you GSF.

Your so psyched we finally have a QB. Yet the thread you alluded to from last year you argued blind we needed to win games which if we had of done, who knows what we'd of had to of settled for at QB. Or how much higher a price we'd of had to of given up to get the guy your now so psyched about.

Irony is a beautiful thang.

Hail.

Couldn't disagree more, GHH. In my mind, we're competitive this year. Not greatly so, but competitive nonetheless. There's no way to tell right now just how effective we'll be next year in Free Agency... you're simply assuming we won't be.

If we can bring in a solid FA class as well as continue to draft like we have been, we should be able to compete for real next season. I just don't see how one could give that belief up so easily right now. Oh well, this is what losses usually do to confidence.

I agree with this sentiment. The entire OP is pure rhetorical speculation. And to say we cant improve within 2 years, when we've all seen how many teams in the NFL, including our team this season, over the past 10 years gain ground in wins and playoff success within 1-2 offseasons, is just plain asinine.

I always root for the Redskins to win man. I knew the Skins couldn't go too far with Rex last year, but I sure as hell wasn't going to root for them to lose.

You wanna talk irony? Aren't you the same guy that gets on here every once in a while after a loss and tells people to to over-react? And now you post that the Skins can't compete for 2 more years?

The Skins competed today GHH against the SB champs. They might not get to the SB this year, but to proclaim now they won't compete now for 2 more years is just rediculously lame.

I wasn't aware anyone within this thread had said the Redskins couldn't compete in games. Competing over a season for honors though is a different thing again with this D.

Thank you as always for taking things out of context to put your own slant on things. Just happy your happy with Robert after you vehemently wanted to make it nigh on impossible to get him. ;)

Hail.

Its too early to assume that we can't be competitive this season. Its simply too early. We might finish last or we might win the division. Or we might lose every game from here on out or we might make the playoffs. Its simply to early to right off this season. Griffin will keep this offense in every game. And I doubt we're gonna turn the ball over 4 times every game.

yes...I haven't given up on this season.

Fight hard against the Steelers next sunday

Its too early to assume that we can't be competitive this season. Its simply too early. We might finish last or we might win the division. Or we might lose every game from here on out or we might make the playoffs. Its simply to early to right off this season. Griffin will keep this offense in every game. And I doubt we're gonna turn the ball over 4 times every game.

I disagree.

Even some of the top qbs in the game today have craptastic defenses.

Last year tom brady rode one of the nfl's worst secondaries to the dance and probably should have won. Id take our front 7 over most teams we could probably use some competition at a few spots but these guys can stop the run well.

All we need is safety improvement. Tanard jackson will be back, perhaps move dhall over there, and spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on the best safety available. Sure the skins dont have any first rounders for a couple years but this regime has shown the ability to trade down and get more picks. Im sure this can be fixed in one off-season. We have like 7/8 picks next year plenty to bring in some corners safeties and oline.

The bigger worry is the coach of the defense but this personel stuff can be fixed.

Yup... I'm still waiting on this roll we're going to get on. Just have to wait one more week. ;)

Its a good point. Between the draft picks we won't have and the salary cap money we don't have, we certainly are at a disadvantage the next couple years.

Griffin was worth the cost in picks, so that does not bother me, its the cap penalty that really grinds my gears.

Griffin is such a dynamic talent we may be able to overcome this disadvantage, but it is a disadvantage we will have to overcome if we are to be successful this year or next. For now, it looks like I will get more practice at being patient.

I wasn't aware anyone within this thread had said the Redskins couldn't compete in games. Competing over a season for honors though is a different thing again with this D.

Thank you as always for taking things out of context to put your own slant on things. Just happy your happy with Robert after you vehemently wanted to make it nigh on impossible to get him. ;)

Hail.

What have i taken out of context? You said the Skins can't compete until 2014 or 15. I say that's complete BS, and your whining annoys the hell out of me.

Jamaal Brown counts 5 mil against the cap next year. DHall 8 mil and Moss 6 mil. You think the Skins will pay those 3 guys 20 mil next year? If they cut all 3 of them the total hit would be less than 3 mil, though they will probably keep restructure and keep Moss imo. Maybe even Hall though he would have to take a lot less money which I doubt he would do.

You give up way too easy GHH. Last year you wanted to lose out. Now you say the Skins won't compete for 2 or 3 years. You make fun of me for my claim last year that we didn't have to lose out to get RG3, yet isn't that exactly what happened? Isn't that why you have that awesome sig now?

And one more thing... how do we know if this loss didn't light a fire under the rears of this team? That does happen, doesn't it? This is exactly the type of loss that really gets everyone on the same page... had the win in the defending Super Bowl champs house even WITH a bunch of bad calls and boneheaded turnovers only to give up a stupid play at the end. I'm sure the players and coaches are incredibly sick over this as well and it might just be the type of anger that gets everyone so focused and willing to harness we start really taking it to teams.

Yes, I know our secondary puts this happening into major doubt... but they actually have played better the last few weeks than the stats indicate. I'm looking around the NFL and I'm seeing some supposed elite Ds getting gashed through the air as well these days. I'm going to stay hopeful about this year until we're mathematically eliminated. Then I'm going to be excited during the offseason because we've got a chance to really shore up some deficiencies and be dominant next year, God willing.

And one more thing... how do we know if this loss didn't light a fire under the rears of this team? That does happen, doesn't it? This is exactly the type of loss that really gets everyone on the same page... had the win in the defending Super Bowl champs house even WITH a bunch of bad calls and boneheaded turnovers only to give up a stupid play at the end. I'm sure the players and coaches are incredibly sick over this as well and it might just be the type of anger that gets everyone so focused and willing to harness we start really taking it to teams.

Yes, I know our secondary puts this happening into major doubt... but they actually have played better the last few weeks than the stats indicate. I'm looking around the NFL and I'm seeing some supposed elite Ds getting gashed through the air as well these days. I'm going to stay hopeful about this year until we're mathematically eliminated. Then I'm going to be excited during the offseason because we've got a chance to really shore up some deficiencies and be dominant next year, God willing.

Now that is what I'm talking about. The Skins are #1 in rushing yards in the nfl right now. If you can run the ball, and you have an elite QB, you can always compete.

If the Skins can add a quality corner next season, and hopefully a safety, and they get Orakpo back, the defense will be much better.

^^ Thanks, Conn. :)

And, GSF, take it easy on GHH. He's not nearly as bad as some of the negative posters on this board. At least he's not stupid about it (just read some of the posts in the game day thread cursing Kyle Shanahan every time one play or one drive goes wrong). I used to get livid when I'd see these type of posts from him but I've learned that he's very emotional overall and when we win he actually becomes incredibly positive, lol. He's alright. :)

Archived